PDA

View Full Version : ISB @ Penn State..

Ken Smith
04-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Who here is going to the ISB this June? I have never been to one and am thinking of going. I don't have a booth but might get a table unless they are sold out. In that case I will be allowed only 3 Basses.

I was thinking the best 3 to bring would be the Hart, Martini and Candi. The big Gamba is not as something for everyone size-wise and I am still working on the neck heel and depth myself. It also needs an Extension so regardless, I don't think it will be ready for June.

So, who is going and.. if I go and have a table, which 3 of my Basses should I bring? Batchelder maybe and drop the Martini? (Hart, Candi, Batchelder?)

Robert Kramer
04-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Who here is going to the ISB this June? I have never been to one and am thinking of going. I don't have a booth but might get a table unless they are sold out. In that case I will be allowed only 3 Basses.

I was thinking the best 3 to bring would be the Hart, Martini and Candi. The big Gamba is not as something for everyone size-wise and I am still working on the neck heel and depth myself. It also needs an Extension so regardless, I don't think it will be ready for June.

So, who is going and.. if I go and have a table, which 3 of my Basses should I bring? Batchelder maybe and drop the Martini? (Hart, Candi, Batchelder?)

Hart, Candi, and Batchelder. That's a fine trio for diversity.

Aren Winebrenner
04-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I would love to go. I just don't have my wife talked into letting me take off.....yet:cool:

Richard Prowse
04-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I would love to go. I just don't have my wife talked into letting me take off.....yet:cool:
Takes years! I won't be going either.

Calvin Marks
04-12-2009, 04:14 PM
I should be there (I hope) with Don Gorman and my bass.

Anselm Hauke
04-12-2009, 04:30 PM
which 3 of my Basses should I bring? Batchelder maybe and drop the Martini? (Hart, Candi, Batchelder?)

if your goal is to sell a bass:

i would bring the batchelder, because it´s imho a bass that will not sell very easy if the potential buyers have no first hand experience with it.
what i want to say is (please excuse my bad english): when i played the bass i was very surprised from it´s qualities (sound and playabilitywise) which i did not expect knowing it only from pictures before.

the more people actually play it, the more is the possibility that it finds a buyer

your other basses will sell by itself.

(all this said in consideration that the batchelder is the only bass from you that i played...)

Abe Gumroyan
04-13-2009, 02:05 AM
I would drop the Candi, with all do respect. You would have 3 levels of instruments Batchelder, Martini, & Hart. Good, Amazing, & One of the finest English instruments on the market. All jokes aside, I think if you brought those 3 instruments it would show a nice selection of instruments in terms of price and quality.

Brian Glassman
04-13-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm considering going as well. The convention hasn't been this close to the NY/NJ area in a long while. however, June is never a great month to sneak away from gigs and not to mention the wife & kids.

Ken, what about the Gilkes?

Ken Smith
04-13-2009, 02:48 AM
I'm considering going as well. The convention hasn't been this close to the NY/NJ area in a long while. however, June is never a great month to sneak away from gigs and not to mention the wife & kids.

Ken, what about the Gilkes?

The Gilkes is not available at the moment. That's all I can say for now.

On the dropping the Candi theory, I would suggest you come over and play the Candi next to the Martini and then tell me if you still feel the same. If I could bring 6 Basses, I would bring them all. For now, I don't even have a table purchased to display them nor am I even registered. Also, my car might not fit 3 Basses in it. So, let's see what happens over the next few days as far as the arrangements for my possible attendance.

Ken Smith
04-16-2009, 01:14 PM
We are in..:D:D:D ( I think.:confused:. lol).

Since the regular rooms and tables were sold out, the ISB was able to get a classroom or two by the stage where the performances are being held in the next building or the music school.

I will have several fine basses in various ranges as well as my Bow collection. I will also bring my Stock of KSB Bows and sell them at a special price right off the show floor.

I might have a few other goodies as well but I am just now filling out the forms and starting to make my plans for travel and set-up.

Requests?

Questions?

Ken Smith
04-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Members, those of you that also post on TalkBass if you can, please mention to the members there that I will be there with a good selection of Basses and Bows from my collection. :cool:

I will not be bringing any of the student grade basses there as I am sure there will be plenty of the Chinese grade stuff already. :eek:

I am bringing my available restored Italian and English Basses and the Batchelder. :)

If a bass I have is in repair or waiting to go into repair/restoration, then I will leave that home. :o

I do not want to show any 'as-is' Basses, just the ones ready to fly.;)

Ken Smith
04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I just booked my Hotel for the week so it looks like I will be there from the beginning till the end.

As far as the Forum here goes, I will not be bringing a computer with me so the world will just have to wait until I return. Play nice while I am away..;)

Anselm Hauke
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I just booked my Hotel for the week so it looks like I will be there from the beginning till the end.

good luck!

As far as the Forum here goes, I will not be bringing a computer with me so the world will just have to wait until I return. Play nice while I am away..;)
i will keep an eye on richard :)

Tim Bishop
04-29-2009, 06:50 PM
good luck!

i will keep an eye on richard :)
I'll keep an eye on Anselm :)

Ken Smith
05-11-2009, 04:13 PM
We will be in Room 117, near the Esber Recital Hall in the School of Music Building, sharing the large Room 117 with one, perhaps two other vendors.

This is not where most of the other exhibits are but it's near the Recital Stage area in an adjacent building. Maybe we will be able to use the Stage to demo Basses, who knows?

The line-up at this time is;
Samuel Gilkes, London 1814
John Thomas Hart, London c.1830
Attr. English Gamba, c.1780
Oreste Martini, Mantova 1919
Oreste Candi, Genoa 1936
Peter Hamilton-Box, Kent 2008

We will also show a collection of fine French model Bass bows as well as our affordable KSB Bows in French (stamped C.Loveri) and German (stamped B.Fendt).

Ken Smith
05-29-2009, 09:28 PM
I started this Thread about coming to the ISB a few weeks back but since then something has happened on the Bow end of things.

I advertised that I will have Bows by Sue Lipkins as well as others but the two Lipkins Bows I had have since been sold. On the Lipkins make, to ease any sorrow about not having them I will bring my Lipkins Sartory model so at least I have one to show.

Also, about a week ago I get a call from a dealer friend of mine who mentioned he couldn't make the Show and asked if I could use some extra Bows at the Booth to show? I said maybe, what kind of Bows? he replied, Bazin, Fetique, Pfretzschner etc.. My eyes lit up.

Today I received two boxes with a total of 17 Bows in them. I have a Lotte and Ouchard in the pack as well as several beautiful high end German Bows. One is a gold mounted Snakewood Bow by Jan Krusig? Don't know him but the bow is beautiful with the screw in Snakewood to match. In total I recieved 9 French Bows and 7 German Bows. The lowest priced bow in the pack is an English maker who went to study in Italy and made this Bow in Verona, priced to move at only $2400. The only living maker in the French bows is G.Lucchi. All the rest are oldies..

I also have two beautiful bows in German style stamped G.Werner. Anyone know who or what that is?

Anyway, I will have these plus a bunch of my own collection as well as all of the KSB Bows I have in stock in the higher grade French and German models so if you are Bow shopping, come by and see me before you make any decisions about a new Bow.

All in all, I have Bows from $120 (low end German) on up to $11k in classic pedigree French.

Joel Larsson
05-30-2009, 07:19 AM
I found a New Zealand site selling a "Dörfler, stamped G. Werner" for NZ$730. Eventually I found http://www.vivaceviolin.com/pp/Bows/Violin/VlnBw406.html which seems to further indicate that G. Werner is student grade bows made by Dörfler. On their website (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.doerfler-bogen.de%2Fde%2Fgeschichte%2Findex.php&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate), I found no information on the stamping of their beginner/student level models, though...:confused:
G. Werner bows seems to sell for USD150-500.

On Krusig I have nothing. Can't find anything online, no matter which of the German words for bow or bow maker I use in association with his name.

Richard Prowse
05-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Ken, good luck.
Just a little thing though, I noticed you've been doing a little bit of episodic posting on this thread. Please keep multiple posting for the bull pit, where it belongs.
Oh, and I'll keep an eye on Tim while you're away.

Richard Prowse
05-30-2009, 05:52 PM
I found a New Zealand site selling a "Dörfler, stamped G. Werner" for NZ$730.
Where? Down here (NZ)? What city?

Ken Smith
05-31-2009, 01:43 AM
I found a New Zealand site selling a "Dörfler, stamped G. Werner" for NZ$730. Eventually I found http://www.vivaceviolin.com/pp/Bows/Violin/VlnBw406.html which seems to further indicate that G. Werner is student grade bows made by Dörfler. On their website (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.doerfler-bogen.de%2Fde%2Fgeschichte%2Findex.php&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate), I found no information on the stamping of their beginner/student level models, though...:confused:
G. Werner bows seems to sell for USD150-500.

On Krusig I have nothing. Can't find anything online, no matter which of the German words for bow or bow maker I use in association with his name.

I found a few websites that sell them but also list them in more than one level of Quality and price. All have been French that I have found. These are fairly high quality German made German Bows, from what I can see. Still, the prices the dealer set for them are probably what they sell for retail in NYC. At an international show, these two Bows may or may not be competitively priced. Still, I have a good bunch of great and classic bows besides these. I was just curious what was known about them out here because I had never heard of them before.

Ken Smith
05-31-2009, 01:45 AM
Ken, good luck.
Just a little thing though, I noticed you've been doing a little bit of episodic posting on this thread. Please keep multiple posting for the bull pit, where it belongs.
Oh, and I'll keep an eye on Tim while you're away.

Lol.. Richard, what am I to do with you??:confused:

Richard Prowse
05-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Lol.. Richard, what am I to do you you??:confused:
Are you asking some guy called 'you you'? Sounds like someone out of The Mikado.

Arnold Schnitzer
06-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Ken, what basses will you be displaying?

Ken Smith
06-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Ken, what basses will you be displaying?

Arnold, I posted this a short time ago, post #15;
We will be in Room 117, near the Esber Recital Hall in the School of Music Building, sharing the large Room 117 with one, perhaps two other vendors.

This is not where most of the other exhibits are but it's near the Recital Stage area in an adjacent building. Maybe we will be able to use the Stage to demo Basses, who knows?

Oreste Candi, Genoa 1936

We will also show a collection of fine French model Bass bows as well as our affordable KSB Bows in French (stamped C.Loveri) and German (stamped B.Fendt).

As of now, I still plan on bringing the same 6 Basses. What are you bringing?

Craig Regan
06-10-2009, 08:29 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/3613080049_d505c8d5e4_d.jpg

Here is a picture of Ken and his basses at the 2009 ISB.

Tim Bishop
06-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Very cool pic! :)

Richard Prowse
06-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Who is the guy standing next to Ken? Did Ken give him a turn?

Ken Smith
06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Who is the guy standing next to Ken? Did Ken give him a turn?

Give a turn? Of course. I only played the bass for the picture. Most of the time I just watch them play and answer questions about the basses. That is the Martini by the way that I was playing in the picture.;)

Craig Regan
06-11-2009, 07:36 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3636/3615852275_171ca861b0_d.jpg

Another photo from the Convention.

Tim Bishop
06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Great pic!

Richard Prowse
06-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes, great picture.
Is the G string set at 5mm?

Ken Smith
06-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Yes, great picture.

If that's the Martini, I will measure it. Probably closer to 4mm under the 'G'. That bass plays like a dream..

Stefano Sciascia played the Martini today as well as most of my other basses and asked if I play it a lot as he commented that it was more 'open' than the Gilkes or Hart. I told him it is one of my favorite basses to play. He also liked the Candi as well. What a player he is or rather I should say, what a musician. Also, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. At the same time I had the world famous Italian Luthier Sergio Scaramelli there also playing the Basses.

Richard Prowse
06-12-2009, 04:07 AM
If that's the Martini, I will measure it. Probably closer to 4mm under the 'G'. That bass plays like a dream..

Stefano Sciascia played the Martini today as well as most of my other basses and asked if I play it alot as he commented that it was more 'open' than the Gilkes or Hart. I told him it is one of my favorite basses to play. He also liked the Candi as well. What a player he is or rather I should say, what a musician. Also, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. At the same time I had the world famos Italian Luthier Sergio Scaramelli there also playing the Basses.
Great to hear you're having so much fun, my friend. May it continue!

Ken Smith
06-13-2009, 11:08 PM
I am back home, finally. This was a long week. I packed up basses on Thursday and Friday, loaded the van on Saturday and drove up Sunday. I set up Sunday and Monday and the exhibits that were supposed to start on Tuesday started on Monday for us. Why? because our room was in the Music building where the Solo competition was being held. As people emptied out from the theater, they wandered into my room. I was also sharing the room with Bow dealer Chris Brown who is also a top notch bassist. He is the Principal with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and formerly played with both the Pittsburgh and Detroit Symphonies.

So, what does one do working all week long with a bassist of that caliber? Ask for a Lesson, of course.. I also got a lesson with another bassist that I have known for years (Doug Mapp) but didn't know he was as good as he is. he is currently the Principal of the Reading symphony and has subbed and toured with the Philly Orch as well. I knew he played in the Reading but never knew about the Philly job.

Now I have some work to do. Besides the two semi-formal lessing in which I played a bit and then took comments and correction as well as what to do to work on things to fix the problems, I was able to watch up close and personal some of the best players in the world play my collection of basses.

Example.. Just before dinner last night, Arnold Schnitzer (a bassist too.. don't kid yourself), my friend Kevin (a Philly pro and teacher at UArts) and myself were playing a Bass trio jazz tune. Paul Ellison walks but and hangs out to listen. Then as I am about to take a solo, John Clayton walks by and I call out, "John, come help me with this. I don't know the tune".:eek:. (joking slightly). He takes "Big Ben" from my hands (Arnold with the Martini and Kevin with the Candi) and starts playing some chords. Then Arnold hands me the Martini and I bow the bottom till we finished... Just another day at the office.. lol;)

There were so many top players there I felt like I was a beginner. Leon Bosch (http://www.leonbosch.co.uk/) came by several times each day and played my basses. He is so so good I can't begin to tell you. I don't think I can play as good as him if I live another 200 years..

Folks, JOIN the ISB and ask for a copy of the Program of this last show that ended today. You will not believe how many great and famous players where there. The Basses on exhibit were just a drop in the bucket as compared to the music played and the people there.

I met Linda McKnight while finishing up dinner and than sat next to Bert Turetsky while watching Ron Carter in concert.. Just a small sample of an evening at the ISB.. Oh, and I walked from dinner to the concert with Stefano Sciascia as we just happen to be walking out of the same restaurant.

Ken Smith
06-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes, great picture.

f that's the Martini, I will measure it. Probably closer to 4mm under the 'G'. That bass plays like a dream..

Stefano Sciascia played the Martini today as well as most of my other basses and asked if I play it a lot as he commented that it was more 'open' than the Gilkes or Hart. I told him it is one of my favorite basses to play. He also liked the Candi as well. What a player he is or rather I should say, what a musician. Also, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. At the same time I had the world famous Italian Luthier Sergio Scaramelli there also playing the Basses.Ok, confirmed, 4mm but it may have risen a little since in the heat and humidity. I will leave it as it is for now because the Martini is the Bass I practice on and play the most. 5mm is about the highest I play it at under the G. The heights increase about a millimeter or so per string down to the E in case you were wondering.

Richard Prowse
06-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Ok, confirmed, 4mm but it may have risen a little since in the heat and humidity. I will leave it as it is for now because the Martini is the Bass I practice on and play the most. 5mm is about the highest I play it at under the G. The heights increase about a millimeter or so per string down to the E in case you were wondering.
Thanks Ken, and I'm glad you had such a good time at the ISB.

Arnold Schnitzer
06-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Example.. Just before dinner last night, Arnold Schnitzer (a bassist too.. don't kid yourself), my friend Kevin (a Philly pro and teacher at UArts) and myself were playing a Bass trio jazz tune. Paul Ellison walks but and hangs out to listen. Then as I am about to take a solo, John Clayton walks by and I call out, "John, come help me with this. I don't know the tune".:eek:. (joking slightly). He takes "Big Ben" from my hands (Arnold with the Martini and Kevin with the Candi) and starts playing

Yeah, first I was attempting to bow the melody to "My Romance". I look up and Paul Ellison is standing next to me. I exclaim, "Paul, I don't really do this!" (play the bass). Then the three of us are playing a fast blues, and I open my eyes because I notice the guy next to me is SMOKIN! And it's John Clayton! Holy crap!!! What key were we in? Only at the ISB...

Here's my John Clayton story. I hope he reads this.

It's 1976 or 77. I just finished a week at Blues Alley in D.C. with Gap Mangione (Chuck's older brother). We have a night off before we fly to Seattle for our next engagement. I go into the club to try and hit on Susan, a gorgeous air-head of a waitress. The band starts up. Monty Alexander with Jeff Hamilton and John Clayton. I stop my flirtation in mid-sentence as my jaw will not rise from the floor. My goodness, it sounds like Ray Brown on the bottom end, but with something else, a slightly different bounce to the notes, a little more aggressive feel. Then he takes a solo! I left my place at the bar and went to hang by the bandstand. After a couple tunes, I started drinking. A lot. "I'm finding another line of work", I told myself. In the end I did find another line of work, and that's going just fine.

John, you are a mother$^%^$ of a musician and a wonderful guy to boot. It was a thrill to hear you in 76/77 and to play a few choruses with you in 2009.

Tim Bishop
06-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Wow, too cool! :)

Tim Bishop
06-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Speaking of "too cool" and "wow"....if you haven't seen or heard this; check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=7vfHTn_4SFw

Tim Bishop
06-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Speaking of "too cool" and "wow"....if you haven't seen or heard this; check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=7vfHTn_4SFw

Ken or Arnold, what do you know about the DB John is playing in this clip (....in addition to the fantastic sound he projects)?

Ken Smith
06-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Ken or Arnold, what do you know about the DB John is playing in this clip (....in addition to the fantastic sound he projects)?

I think it's Ray Browns old bass that is pictured on the cover of the Oscar Peterson Album "We get Requests". Ray had another Bass before that one that's now in the Toronto area with a Symphony player. Ray told me he sold it becuase it was too delicate for the road. The Bass John is playing is an old German Orchestra Bass from the late 19th century (in my opinion, not humbly.. lol). We see a bot of these basses and often they are called French because the look nicer than the rub in the mill Factory German stuff.

.. quoted by Arnold above; Yeah, first I was attempting to bow the melody to "My Romance". I look up and Paul Ellison is standing next to me. I exclaim, "Paul, I don't really do this!" (play the bass). Then the three of us are playing a fast blues, and I open my eyes because I notice the guy next to me is SMOKIN! And it's John Clayton! Holy crap!!! What key were we in? Only at the ISB...

Actually Arnold and folks, we were playing the 'Blues' when Paul walked in. When John happened by, we were doing ''Greater Love' hence the reason I mentioned I needed help with the changes. Playing the 'Blues' is breakfast for me. I would not have asked for help if that were the case..;)

Just a slight correction in my own defense. Arnold is still sore from getting his butt handed to him on the Golf course. :p

Of course I know the changes to the Blues.. any key..:mad:

Arnold Schnitzer
06-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Arnold is still sore from getting his butt handed to him on the Golf course. :p

I did not have my butt handed to me. We were teammates, remember? If we had not been teammates, I would have had my butt KICKED. I'm not sore. Eagerly anticipating the Schnitzer vs. Smith Father/Son tournament. Place bets, anyone?

Ken Smith
06-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I did not have my butt handed to me. We were teammates, remember? If we had not been teammates, I would have had my butt KICKED. I'm not sore. Eagerly anticipating the Schnitzer vs. Smith Father/Son tournament. Place bets, anyone?

Is your house paid for? My son was on the Varsity golf team in HS all 4 years.. :p

Ah... from Arnold's Talk bass post (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551873); Monday afternoon, after getting up at 5AM, 5 hours in the truck, setting up, and probably 3 miles of walking to get around this gorgeous campus, Ken Smith and I got drafted into a golf game with the Cincinnati boys. Well, here I will publicly eat crow, as I disbelieved Ken's boasting about his golf prowess. He kicked my ass! Fortunately, I have many, many excuses, and a lightning storm put me out of my misery after only six holes. But I digress...

I was just repeating what you posted on TB. I would never ever go around telling people how I had to carry the whole team (Arnold, Nick Lloyd and myself). :rolleyes:

lol.....

Ken Smith
06-14-2009, 04:20 PM

Oreste Candi, Genoa 1936

On the Gilkes, Tom Martin kept telling me to pronounce it Jilkes as that is the English way so I have to practice that.. Jilkes.. Jilkes.. Jilkes..

All of the Dealers and players that saw the Gilkes loved it and commented on the sound and fantastic condition. Tom also mentioned that Gilkes (Jilkes) was the Customs Examiner to the Queen for instruments entering the country. Charles Harris, the teacher and relative of Gilkes is also listed as a Customs official. This Gilkes Bass by Samuel, the only one known to have been made by him (labeled and branded) as well as having that 7-layer purfling with the Diamond neckless of purfling under the button may have been a Royal Commission of some sort. I guess we will never know.

Leon Bosch commented that he wished he had use the Big Gamba for his recital. He was able to get around that bass like it was a solo instrument. What an amazing player he is.

Players had pre-arranged for instruments loaned out to perform on as many came without a Bass. Stefano loved the Candi but the Karr bass had been brought in for him to use prior to the show. He commented that when playing the Gilkes (Jilkes) up at the end of the FB on the 'G' that it was one of the best sounding basses he had ever heard.

Guys, these players I heard this week, up close and personal, can make a bass sound that is beyond words I can describe. I never knew how good the Gilkes or Martini was before hearing it played at this show. Most agreed that the big Gamba was a very special bass but there was one top dealer (not to be named) that said "I like the Gilkes best over all of them"..

My Wife today asked if I had told them that it was her that picked out the Gilkes over a dozen other basses for me to buy when I was shopping some 5-6 years ago for my personal bass. So officially, my wife Claudia is the one responsible for me getting the Gilkes.. There.. I said it..:)

Calvin Marks
06-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I met Linda McKnight while finishing up dinner and than sat next to Bert Turetsky while watching Ron Carter in concert.. Just a small sample of an evening at the ISB.. Oh, and I walked from dinner to the concert with Stefano Sciascia as we just happen to be walking out of the same restaurant.

Ken, did you have a musorgasm?

Arnold Schnitzer
06-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Ken, you correctly quoted me as saying "He kicked my ass". However, you wrote that you handed my butt to me. Perhaps semantics, fighting words for sure. So, your kid was varsity golf in high school? My kid was the team CAPTAIN! You guys are goin' down!

Say, Ken, how about we use our tournament as a fund raiser, proceeds to benefit something bass-related, like the ISB?

Ken Smith
06-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Ken, did you have a musorgasm?

A what (http://www.google.com/search?q=musorgasm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)?

Do I need a second opinion to tell if I did?:confused:

Ken Smith
06-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Ken, you correctly quoted me as saying "He kicked my ass". However, you wrote that you handed my butt to me. Perhaps semantics, fighting words for sure. So, your kid was varsity golf in high school? My kid was the team CAPTAIN! You guys are goin' down!

Say, Ken, how about we use our tournament as a fund raiser, proceeds to benefit something bass-related, like the ISB?

Ok, but I can almost guarantee that you will making a bigger donation at the 19th!!:p

Calvin Marks
06-14-2009, 10:16 PM
A what (http://www.google.com/search?q=musorgasm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)?

Do I need a second opinion to tell if I did?:confused:

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/nizrael/musorgasm.html

Ken Smith
06-15-2009, 03:55 AM
http://mama.indstate.edu/users/nizrael/musorgasm.html

Well, watching Leon Bosch play my big Gamba was amazing so I guess I did have a few of those. Also, watching Stefano play the Gilkes, Candi and other basses I went there as well. All in all, looking back at the players in my booth including Paul Ellison and John Clayton whom each played only a few minutes, I was thrilled to see it was one of my basses in their hands that together produced a sound I would be happy to almost die for.

The other experience was just meeting them. I had Sergio Scaramelli in the booth a few times and besides him being the one that gave new life to my Martini in 1999, he played beautifully as well. Sergio uses the Bille style Italian fingering which is 1-3-4, not using the 2nd in the lower positions. Both Sergio and Stefano played the Candi back to back. Sergio has a Candi Cello in his personal collection and just loved seeing and playing the only bass Candi ever made.

I guess the experience of meeting and talking with these people one on one as they played the basses or played for me which is how it felt, combined gave me one of those thig-a-ma-jigs Calvin.

These guys and gals are people too and watching them all play in the same week on my basses was heaven. I told Stefano after playing my basses, that they are now 'Blessed' having been made more musical than ever from his hands. I never in my life with all the players that have played it heard sounds from the Gilkes like I did that first time he walked into the booth. Each note was so musical sounding.

The ISB for me was a life experience, not just a show. Some of these players are like living Gods with a bass in their hands and so humble as well.

Anselm Hauke
06-15-2009, 06:00 AM
that sounds like a LOT OF fun there.

i don´t want to spoil the party, but, just for my curiosity -

back to business :o: did you sell a bass?

Ken Smith
06-15-2009, 09:00 AM
that sounds like a LOT OF fun there.

i don´t want to spoil the party, but, just for my curiosity -

back to business :o: did you sell a bass?

I don't think it's easy for anyone to buy a Bass in the range I had on show in a day or two. I did make a lot of contacts and I do expect to get some sales from it. The cheapest bass I had on display listed for $24k. That one was close as it got the most interest in the 20k range shoppers. In the more expensive basses it was mostly jaws dropping. I was told by many that the Big Gamba was the best bass at the show. "That 'A' String" is what I kept hearing from players after playing it as well as people coming to try it after the word got out.

The Gilkes and Candi also received strong interest besides them both being one-of-a-kinds and the only bass by the maker known or ever seen.

Time will tell. Trade shows are usually more of a 'show and tell' than a store sale set-up. Patience is the prescribed show after treatment..;)

Anselm Hauke
06-15-2009, 09:14 AM
ok, thanks!

Tim Bishop
06-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Eagerly anticipating the Schnitzer vs. Smith Father/Son tournament.
Would love to see some video excerpts of this. :)

Joel Larsson
06-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I have singled coin and it decided that I should bet my pride on a win for the Smiths.

Joel Larsson
06-17-2009, 05:46 PM
By the way, how did the bow business go? Apparently you managed to rid yourself of the new bow you wanted to keep..? Did you get any opinions on the German bows, that gold mounted Krusig for instance?

Ken Smith
06-17-2009, 06:42 PM
By the way, how did the bow business go? Apparently you managed to rid yourself of the new bow you wanted to keep..? Did you get any opinions on the German bows, that gold mounted Krusig for instance?

Plenty of lookers but the show to me was more of a music event with exhibits as eye candy. Not that much buying going on from what I saw and heard. I was told before hand to expect something along those lines. They were correct in their educated assumptions.

Anselm Hauke
06-18-2009, 03:12 AM
that gold mounted Krusig for instance?

what krusig do you talk about? krussig from hannover/germany?

Ken Smith
06-18-2009, 03:33 AM
what krusig do you talk about? krussig from hannover/germany?

From my thread Bows at the ISB (http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=1086)..

Today I received two boxes with a total of 17 Bows in them. I have a Lotte and Ouchard in the pack as well as several beautiful high end German Bows. One is a gold mounted Snakewood Bow by Jan Krusig? Don't know him but the bow is beautiful with the screw in Snakewood to match. In total I received 9 French Bows and 7 German Bows.

As quoted above, that Bow.

Anselm Hauke
06-18-2009, 03:40 AM
From my thread Bows at the ISB (http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=1086)..

As quoted above, that Bow.

thanks ken.
so that is not jürgen krussig from hannover. he makes nice snakewood-bows, and does perfect rehairs and repairs.

Ken Smith
06-30-2009, 05:22 PM
I just found this on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87EDp0WuoSo). That is the Room I was in and the guy next to the girl with the 'Butt Cradle' is playing the Lott Copy (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/lott/index.html) Bass and in the back you can see the Big Gamba (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/mystery-bass/index.html) and a quick glimpse of me sitting down.

Richard Prowse
07-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Ken, you are a handsome man - a good catch for any woman.

Ken Smith
07-01-2009, 02:52 AM
Ken, you are a handsome man - a good catch for any woman.

You can see me sitting back there in the end(1:26) near the Big Gamba?

Calvin Marks
07-01-2009, 03:04 AM
You can see me sitting back there in the end(1:26) near the Big Gamba?

Indeed, as Richard said: "quite the catch!"

Ken Smith
07-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Indeed, as Richard said: "quite the catch!"

With barely half my head showing in the background? You can't be looking at me.. lol

Ken Smith
07-01-2009, 04:31 AM
Can you find me in this YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJAQsT3KFIs) video? I can't but I can hear my Bass slightly, the Hart (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/Hart/Hart.htm) (yes, I do take her out on occasion). Most of it is one Bass only but due to the set-up, I am in the middle and blocked by the conductor. This is a reverse bass section set-up but I did it so I can be closer to the 'stick' and looking straight at him, not at his hip from behind 4 rows of Celli with Tymp's in my ears right behind me:mad:. We also did Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet that night the second half. There is a split bass part, a famous required excerpt and out of 5 basses of which I had us split 2 up and 3 down, the Conductor asked for only one Bass up high, ME. Bare ass naked up there. Calvin, you know the part. Scan it in so these readers can grow some whiskers..:D

Joel Larsson
07-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Position-wise, the best bass sound I have ever heard was when the Gothenburg Symphony lined up their million dolalr babies back at the wall, behind the woodwinds, for one of those early Bruckner pieces. The bass notes hit you like a fist in your face. They sound great when they sit at the side as well, of course, but the difference in the audience was HUGE. I guess it makes sense, acoustically, and also, in rock'n'pop recordings, the instrument you just don't pan is the the bass. But I also guess that this is drifting off-topic.

Calvin Marks
07-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Position-wise, the best bass sound I have ever heard was when the Gothenburg Symphony lined up their million dolalr babies back at the wall, behind the woodwinds, for one of those early Bruckner pieces. The bass notes hit you like a fist in your face. They sound great when they sit at the side as well, of course, but the difference in the audience was HUGE. I guess it makes sense, acoustically, and also, in rock'n'pop recordings, the instrument you just don't pan is the the bass. But I also guess that this is drifting off-topic.

I really like where this topic is going, perhaps we could start a new thread on trends of where different bass sections sit.

Ken Smith
07-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I really like where this topic is going, perhaps we could start a new thread on trends of where different bass sections sit.

Look at the Brun book which has been discussed and see where some once sat 100-200 years ago. It was pictures from that book that I showed to the conductor that helped me to convince him my idea was valid. There is a small back wall just behind us about 3 feet high. I prefer that to just air and the side of the hall which just lets the sound travel to who knows where rather than bouncing off the wall from the backs of at least 3 basses of the section as the last 2 basses wrap around somewhat. Next season howere the programs only require 3 or 4 basses per concert so we will have less dead air travel. Ofcourse if I play the Big Gamba it will feel more like 6 basses in the section.

Ken McKay
07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey just wondering about the sitting versus standing effect on bass sound. The bass I just finished sounds quite a bit fuller when the knee is not touching the back. How many orchestras encourage one or the other, all or a mix...?

Ken Smith
07-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey just wondering about the sitting versus standing effect on bass sound. The bass I just finished sounds quite a bit fuller when the knee is not touching the back. How many orchestras encourage one or the other, all or a mix...?

Try telling that to the violin players or the cello players. An Iron-Bryon (http://www.swingmachinegolf.com/) like machine as used in Golf Club testing made for playing the Bass might produce the best sound due to the lack or a human dampening the wood.

Ok, short of that most players sit now a days. Why? Why not? Everyone else does!

I feel the bass in my gut just as good or better when sitting and I hear it a lot better as well. For solo playing is depends on the player as many stand today but in Orchestra sections, just about every section bass player I have seen in picture and in video lately are all standing.

I don't care if my bass sounds 5% better standing. If the bass is not good enough without standing, then get a better bass. That's my advice. My feet and back come first.I use a stool. If I feel like standing, I do. If not, I sit. It's not negotiable nor open for discussion on a gig as far as I am concerned.

Now we can argue bridges (try 100 different ones on ever bass till it's 2% better.. lol), endpins, strings, bows, rosin.. Where will it stop?????????

We need to just play the bass and not nit pic the tiny details. Set the bass up and play it. After all, the music comes first, right? Lets all go practice this weekend, NO Internet.. Deal?

Calvin Marks
07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I don't care if my bass sounds 5% better standing. If the bass is not good enough without standing, then get a better bass.

I've played some really fine basses that sound very muted when your knee/leg touches the back of the bass. That being said, they sounded terrific and vibrated properly when I played standing.

From my experience (albeit rather limited), flat-back instruments are more prone to muting.

Ken, the Brun book is all tertiary information. The author took so many of the things ridiculously out of context and failed to document some of the sources properly. That being said, there is some validity in what's being presented, but his opinions of it are often taken as fact versus conjecture.

Ken Smith
07-01-2009, 09:41 PM
I've played some really fine basses that sound very muted when your knee/leg touches the back of the bass. That being said, they sounded terrific and vibrated properly when I played standing.

From my experience (albeit rather limited), flat-back instruments are more prone to muting.

Ken, the Brun book is all tertiary information. The author took so many of the things ridiculously out of context and failed to document some of the sources properly. That being said, there is some validity in what's being presented, but his opinions of it are often taken as fact versus conjecture.

I agree that anything touching a bass mutes it including your hands. I use a Bow quiver on all of my basses that weighs from 4-5 ounces, about 112-142 grams or so. I barely hear any difference with or without a quiver. Also, most of my Tailpieces are the older type non-ebony stained black. The quiver brings it back to the ebony weight in a way but not the same density. If slight muting is a problem then we have to live with it. A bass should have enough sound so sitting with it Flat or Roundback doesn't matter.

On the seating, in context or not, I think it shows good examples of different ideas being used and that there was not one perfect way. My reverse type way the last two concerts worked so well that I will petition to use it all the time if permitted to do so but depending on the layout. If our Scrolls are blocking the Opera Singers than maybe we will be pushed off to the side. So far, it has worked just fine. Variety is the spice..

Ken McKay
07-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Try telling that to the violin players or the cello players. An Iron-Bryon (http://www.swingmachinegolf.com/) like machine as used in Golf Club testing made for playing the Bass might produce the best sound due to the lack or a human dampening the wood.

Ok, short of that most players sit now a days. Why? Why not? Everyone else does!

I feel the bass in my gut just as good or better when sitting and I hear it a lot better as well. For solo playing is depends on the player as many stand today but in Orchestra sections, just about every section bass player I have seen in picture and in video lately are all standing.

I don't care if my bass sounds 5% better standing. If the bass is not good enough without standing, then get a better bass. That's my advice. My feet and back come first.I use a stool. If I feel like standing, I do. If not, I sit. It's not negotiable nor open for discussion on a gig as far as I am concerned.

Now we can argue bridges (try 100 different ones on ever bass till it's 2% better.. lol), endpins, strings, bows, rosin.. Where will it stop?????????

We need to just play the bass and not nit pic the tiny details. Set the bass up and play it. After all, the music comes first, right? Lets all go practice this weekend, NO Internet.. Deal?

Hah hah hah you got me chuckling with this post Ken. Imagine being a gamba violist in the mid 16th C. Holding that thing between your knees for hours. Some body parts might go to sleep permanently:eek:.

When does the weekend start... did I violate the rule? If so, I will say an act of contrition.

Happy 4th of July...I always like to listen to some Mozzart on the 4th, don't know why, I guess Amadeus and the Declaration of Independence were contemporaries.

Ken Smith
07-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Hah hah hah you got me chuckling with this post Ken. Imagine being a gamba violist in the mid 16th C. Holding that thing between your knees for hours. Some body parts might go to sleep permanently:eek:.

When does the weekend start... did I violate the rule? If so, I will say an act of contrition.

Happy 4th of July...I always like to listen to some Mozzart on the 4th, don't know why, I guess Amadeus and the Declaration of Independence were contemporaries.

We are closed today but I am at work taking calls and doing emails. Also, I am practicing as well. Playing my BIG GAMBA (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/mystery-bass/index.html), learning how to handle it as well as what height works for me, bow reach, left hand reach etc. It is so big all over that I feel like I have to re-learn how to hold the Bass. I have the end pin all the way in now. Last week at a concert I was standing and I kept pulling out the endpin further to reach the bow area between the end of FB and the bridge. Now I have it all in sitting on a stool and it works just fine.

What music am I using to find the comfort zone with this monster? The original Simandl book I that I bought around 1966. Starting on page 8.

I was deep into page 10 #6 when the phone rang. UPS was at the door which was locked. I let him in and he delivered a carton of my new P.A.P.A Pre Amp stomp boxes from the Lab. I tried it today on the Big Gamba earlier with an old foam wrapped AKG mic in the bridge and it sounded great. So natural and easy to EQ as well. My son ran thru the features with a Smith bass and liked it as well.

On the Simandl, after I do it as written, I try it without open strings to work the left hand on this biggie. Taking the thought of new or hard music out of the equasion but reading something strictly written (with variation as well) helps to develop a hand position as well as a bow position on this newly restored monster of mine.

Ok, back to finishing up F and then on to Bb. hey, you can also play these an octave up in TP and use the T-1-2-3 fingerings. Fun..;)

Hey, we re-did the home page last night and cleaned it up a bit. You like? (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/)

We added the P.A.P.A. notice just up top and moved the Forum link a bit further down the page with the banner logo button. The rest of the other stuff was either deleted or moved to the What's New (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/news/index.html) section if it's old news.

So, what do you think? A complete P.A.P.A. page is in the works as well. It will link from the 'button' on the Home page.

Tim Bishop
07-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey, we re-did the home page last night and cleaned it up a bit. You like? (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/)

We added the P.A.P.A. notice just up top and moved the Forum link a bit further down the page with the banner logo button. The rest of the other stuff was either deleted or moved to the What's New (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/news/index.html) section if it's old news.

So, what do you think? A complete P.A.P.A. page is in the works as well. It will link from the 'button' on the Home page.I like. It looks great, Ken.