PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh! Woodworm

William Stephens
04-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi everyone

I just got a horrible surprise when I picked up my bass and found several small holes dotted around the top near the neck block

It looks like woodworm

WHAT DO I DO????????????????

Help

thanks

Will

Ken Smith
04-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Are the worms active? Old worm holes?

If alive, kill them with some kind of insect spray unless there is a better method.

If they are dead, have the damage assessed IF it's even a concern. Many many old English and Italian basses as well as other basses that lived in these countries have old worm damage. It's part of the sound and if need be, the areas can be repaired depending on what's needed.

Show some pics if you can.

William Stephens
04-16-2009, 06:04 PM
:(

Thanks

I'll take some pics tomorrow when I get batteries for my camera

I'm sure the holes weren't there last week!

Theres a violin maker/restorer near where I am tomorrow...I could ask his advice wether they are old or not..

Drat, darn, etc

The joy of bass owning goes on.....

Anselm Hauke
04-16-2009, 06:06 PM
i remember an interview in db-magazine with duncan mcTier where he said that his old (english?) bass would not sound has good as it sounds now, if the woodworm had not made it much lighter some 100 years ago...

William Stephens
04-16-2009, 06:20 PM
i remember an interview in db-magazine with duncan mcTier where he said that his old (english?) bass would not sound has good as it sounds now, if the woodworm had not made it much lighter some 100 years ago...

LOL. They regraduated it.....;)

William Stephens
04-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I just found a pic taken last summer...I zoomed it up and it looks like 2 of the holes were there then..

maybe they are old holes after all......

As soon as I saw the holes I went into blind panic with visions of my bass being eaten away to dust in a matter of days......

:p

Joel Larsson
04-19-2009, 05:22 AM
I may be wrong here, but I heard that you won't get any worm holes as long as you play the bass regularly, as even the nastiest of vermin wouldn't like living under conditions where the ground shakes under your feet. Is this true? Come to think of it, all the basses I've seen with worm holes have been resurrected wrecks or otherwise left unattended somewhere not too nice for too long.

Anselm Hauke
04-19-2009, 06:33 AM
I may be wrong here, but I heard that you won't get any worm holes as long as you play the bass regularly,

i heard that too

Richard Prowse
04-19-2009, 08:00 AM
I may be wrong here, but I heard that you won't get any worm holes as long as you play the bass regularly.
I've heard that the worms tend to prefer jazz to classical.
We call them 'borer' Down here (NZ) and I've seen their holes in basses. You can buy products that will get rid of them, but please don't spray the guys who like jazz.

Joel Larsson
04-19-2009, 12:29 PM
I've heard that the worms tend to prefer jazz to classical.
At last somebody who understands me! :p

Ken Smith
04-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I just found a pic taken last summer...I zoomed it up and it looks like 2 of the holes were there then..

maybe they are old holes after all......

As soon as I saw the holes I went into blind panic with visions of my bass being eaten away to dust in a matter of days......

:p

I looked at the pic and unless it needs to be more clear on the focus I would say that it's not a worm hole. Worm holes look like tint pin holes. Also, that's a factory German Bass from what I can see. Worms usually have expensive taste and only eat in the best places, that being inside English and Italian Basses.. ;)

Richard Prowse
04-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I looked at the pic and unless it needs to be more clear on the focus I would say that it's not a worm hole. Worm holes look like tin(y) pin holes.
I agree, our 'worms' tend to make several holes near each other, but maybe we have a more energetic class of worm Down here (NZ).