PDA

View Full Version : Question about a violin brand. can I ask it?

Brandon Tuomikoski
04-18-2009, 10:00 PM
I know its not a bass, but I kind of want to get back into the violin once again.

So I see this violin for $50. Its a "spencer" Now what the heck is a Spencer?

Anyone heard of them? I sure have not.

Eric Rene Roy
04-18-2009, 10:55 PM
New violins in this price range should be considered disposable and only a short term (one to two month) alternative to renting (most shops with rental programs don't offer such short term rentals, so for a parent considering violin lessons for a young child, the $50 might be a good alternative to being locked into a rental for a year). Most of the fittings are painted black or dyed, not ebony, and the setup is atrocious. Remember, a Glasser violin bow itself costs about $50...so a whole outfit for $50 must raise some red flags for you.

Also, in this price range, many retailers private label, often done at the distribution level...so you may see the same violin outfit for sale at several shops or online retailers with different names.

Bottom line...save your loot. Perhaps $200 to $300 can get you a decent violin that can carry you for about a year, and it is common for shops to buy back the instrument towards the purchase of an upgrade when you are ready.

Brandon Tuomikoski
04-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Yea. when I did play I had a Glasser (spelling?) It was a POS.

Im used to listening to our first chairs violin which is a $16,000 violin

!!!!!

He is 16 and has been playing since 3. Taught by the first chair symphony bass player here. He is a god at the violin. Reminds me of the young Itzach Perlman.

So whatever I get it will not be something I will like too much. But I am a "beginner" still, so I am not looking for a serious violin.

I also plan on getting lessons as well.

Joel Larsson
04-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Bass is cooler. :cool:

Richard Prowse
04-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Bass is cooler. :cool:
Where you live everything is cooler - it's to do with all the snow!

Brandon Tuomikoski
04-19-2009, 10:31 AM
XD

Yes I love all stringed instruments- violin, viola, cello, BASS!, harp, piano, harpsichord.

Whatever it is- I really enjoy them all, and wish to learn all of them.

Joel Larsson
04-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Don't forget the banjo and the zither! I'd love to play those. Especially banjo. I have a zither but it is tuned a major third (give or take a couple of semitones) too low because the strings break if I try to tune it properly.

Anselm Hauke
04-19-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.smithbassforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=379&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1189523229
donĀ“t forget the ukulele!
i love mine!

Joel Larsson
04-19-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a pink one! Somewhere. I think one of my brothers has it. I have a mandolin, too. I can't play either of them.