PDA

View Full Version : Fretless Question

Heather Kulaga
04-23-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a BSR4TNE, fretless four string, and took it to my band rehearsal last night. I usually use my 6, but wanted to try this out on some of the tunes even though it's a bit new to me.

Twice in our current set list I usually do a little slap/pop or tapping solo. I went ahead and played the slap/pop and it sounded good and was easy to play on that bass. Then when I got to the tapping solo I hesitated, realizing that I might be injuring the fretboard. I don't really know much about this technique being used on a fretless.

I use KS taper-core medium round wound strings, but I read that using a flat wound string can help protect the fretboard surface.

Thing is, slapping/popping isn't really my style and I love the round-wound strings - there is an awesome growl from this bass that comes through really well and I don't want to mess with that too much.

Any advice? I bought this fretless used, but it's sorta precious to me - it's in beautiful shape and I want to keep it that way.

Can I slap/pop/tap on my little tiger?

Tim Bishop
04-23-2009, 06:07 PM
I have a BSR4TNE, fretless four string, and took it to my band rehearsal last night. I usually use my 6, but wanted to try this out on some of the tunes even though it's a bit new to me.

Twice in our current set list I usually do a little slap/pop or tapping solo. I went ahead and played the slap/pop and it sounded good and was easy to play on that bass. Then when I got to the tapping solo I hesitated, realizing that I might be injuring the fretboard. I don't really know much about this technique being used on a fretless.

I use KS taper-core medium round wound strings, but I read that using a flat wound string can help protect the fretboard surface.

Thing is, slapping/popping isn't really my style and I love the round-wound strings - there is an awesome growl from this bass that comes through really well and I don't want to mess with that too much.

Any advice? I bought this fretless used, but it's sorta precious to me - it's in beautiful shape and I want to keep it that way.

Can I slap/pop/tap on my little tiger?
Hi Heather,

I'm actually surprised you like the slap/pop/tap sounds you are getting off the fretless fingerboard. Different I guess, and that's what artistry is all about, however, no way will the slap/pop/tap be nearly as lively as it would be if played on a fretted fingerboard. But, maybe that's what you want? I don't know.

Smith Medium Taper Core Round Wounds, IMO, are the best strings for a Smith Bass, period. BTW - I've tried others (just out of curiosity):eek:, but came back to the Smith Medium Taper Cores :D. It's simply the best match for your Smith ;). Trust me when I say I've played a few Smith's over the last 11 years :rolleyes: :).

You are not going to hurt your fingerboard. Yes, you'll see impressions left in the fretboard from the Round Wounds, but it's surface impressions only. Is your fretboard Ebony or other? Either way, don't let it worry you too much. I've been using Smith Medium Taper Cores on Fretted and Fretless Smith's for over 11 years now. Never been disappointed nor have I had issue with excessive wear to a fretless or fretted fingerboard. Is it a result of my technique? Maybe. Sure, technique (sloppy, heavy, or otherwise) can have a more severe impact on your fretboard, however, I suspect in most cases the impact is not as bad as you might suspect. Bottom line, I don't compromise the sound I'm seeking for relatively insignificant wear to my frets or fretboard. But that's me. :rolleyes:

Heather Kulaga
04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks so much, Tim. I've never tried another string on this bass - the medium taper cores were recommended to me, and I'm happy to know that I should stick with them.

Thanks for your thoughts concerning the fretboard-wear also (mine is ebony) -- I've read differing opinions, so I'm glad to hear a veteran KS-player's view.

I was surprised at what I heard slapping/popping on the fretless too - it was a distinctive sound, much different than on my fretted 6. I think it was just easier to do on a 4 string also, so maybe my sound improved from that aspect. My band-mates all noticed and said, "yeah! do that!" but I was really hesitant to continue.

Any other opinions?

Tim Bishop
04-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks so much, Tim. I've never tried another string on this bass - the medium taper cores were recommended to me, and I'm happy to know that I should stick with them.

Thanks for your thoughts concerning the fretboard-wear also (mine is ebony) -- I've read differing opinions, so I'm glad to hear a veteran KS-player's view.

I was surprised at what I heard slapping/popping on the fretless too - it was a distinctive sound, much different than on my fretted 6. I think it was just easier to do on a 4 string also, so maybe my sound improved from that aspect. My band-mates all noticed and said, "yeah! do that!" but I was really hesitant to continue.

Any other opinions?
Your welcome! :)

Yeah, slapping/popping would sound very different and distinctive vs. the same on a fretted. But hey, if that's the sound that you are hearing and wanting, go for it. It's all about you sounding like you. ;)

The Smith Slick Wounds are very smooth. Not as flat sounding as Flat Wounds and not nearly as bright as Round Wounds. I used Smith Slick Wounds in a musical I played in March. I needed that 60's sound. The Smith Slick Wounds were perfect. I've also used Smith Slick Wounds on a Fretless. Sounds very nice and feels very smooth and certainly hold there own in my arsenal :rolleyes:, however, I prefer the Smith Medium Taper Cores overall :).

For something different, maybe you should give the Smith Slick Wounds or Compressors (I'd stick with the same gauge strings if I were you to avoid a re-setup situation). It may add another dynamic to your playing and give you exactly what you need for a given tune ;). You won't know unless you try right? :cool:

Heather Kulaga
04-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey Tim, I'm going to try out the Slick Wounds next time I order some string sets - sounds interesting, thanks for the advice!

Tim Bishop
04-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey Tim, I'm going to try out the Slick Wounds next time I order some string sets - sounds interesting, thanks for the advice!
You can order directly from Ken if you can't locate otherwise. Let us know what you think. :)

Bob Faulkner
04-27-2009, 10:06 AM
I play using Smith compressors on my BSR4EG fretless. The slap sound off a fretless is very different than what you get from a fretted instrument. it sounds a lot less metallic (imagine that!). I slap on my Smith all the time. I wouldn't worry about hurting the fingerboard by playing various styles. Fingerboard wear is an issue to be conscious of over the long haul. I try to avert that by using Smith compressors on my basses. They aren't as smooth as the slicks, but they also sound far more like round wounds than the slicks do.

Jason Mendelson
04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
awe yea slappin and tappin on the frettless FTW!!!!

I do it all the time on my BSR6EG Frettless...

If you are worried about the fingerboard, use compressors as stated...

Flatwounds are such a bummer to play, they are super tight / stiff... sound like a rubber band... if you want your smith to sound dead, then play flats on it... (im sure it will still sound good, but eh,,, not my thang...

Tim Bishop
04-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Flatwounds are such a bummer to play, they are super tight / stiff... sound like a rubber band... if you want your smith to sound dead, then play flats on it... (im sure it will still sound good, but eh,,, not my thang...
"Sound like a rubber band"? Yep, but remember, the sound desired is in the ears of the artist. James Jamerson NEVER changed his strings, but he was James Jamerson and you knew it when you heard any tune he played on. ;)