PDA

View Full Version : French or German? [Here we go Again]

Carlos Henriquez
04-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Hello Ken, I got this bass over in New Castle, England about 1 year ago. I thought the bass was German however, I'm getting mixed reviews on it and some are saying French copy to English marker 3 string bass.. Can you please give me a run down of what you think this may be..The lady I bought it from told me that it must of spent 40 years in her attic before anything was done.

Carlos Henriquez

Carlos Henriquez
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Here are some more photos!! Theirs a photo of the original neck.

Ken Smith
04-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Carlos, please tell me what part of this Bass makes you think it can be French? Also, if there is an inch of consideration that this is French, WHO have you been talking to?

http://www.smithbassforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1016&d=1241147188

Save your flashbulbs. That one shot tells me ALL I need to know. I hope this wasn't sold to you at an inflated price as a French Bass. A few North East Dealers have been selling German Basses for French whenever they seem an ounce better than the commercial factory stuff.

This is a mid to late 19th century German Bass. .. I think.. ;)

Carlos Henriquez
05-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Cool Ken!! I was told the neck was Not from the bass either, so I don't know if the dovetail was placed later in it's path. The neck is Birch wood however, the back and ribs are Birds eye Maple. For your info Ken, I got the bass on EBAY for $1900 :) great deal!!! Nobody had bid on it but me!!! my lucky day. If you want to hear it, I'll be playing it on the Letterman show on the 13th of May with Wynton. I got a great Bow solo spot so check it out!!! By the way, Gut strings papa!!!

Love you!!!

ps.
Send my love to your son!!!!