PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Orig Flex to Flex 92

Calvin Marks
05-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Tired of the sluggish A string, going to try a full set of Flex 92, hopefully the sound will be darker and bassier. I'll let you know my results.

Ken Smith
05-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Tired of the sluggish A string, going to try a full set of Flex 92, hopefully the sound will be darker and bassier. I'll let you know my results.

So Calvin, which cost more so far, the new Bass or the Strings and time changing then to get your sound?.. lol :p

Just thought I would rib you a little about it.;)

How about listing the strings that you have NOT tried yet? This way it might be easier for others to make suggestions. That's depending on which list is shorter, tried or not tried..:cool:

By the way, I prefer 92s over the Orig Blue Flex's any day of the week. They are darker and sweeter sounding to me.:)

Calvin Marks
05-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Well, my bass came with Belcanto's and I immediately sold them because I didn't like the nasal tone.

:) Fortunately the only strings I've actually purchased for my new instrument have been 1 new set of Orig. Flexocores.

Pirastro sent me Evah Orchestra's and Evah Weich's to "test" out but I did not care for them.

I have a used set of Permanents which I have not tried and they were a trade for a very old Eudoxa A and D string which I've had for 3 years.

So, I've actually spent less than $250.00 on strings in the past year and a bit, otherwise I'd be in the poor house.

Ken Smith
05-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, my bass came with Belcanto's and I immediately sold them because I didn't like the nasal tone.

:) Fortunately the only strings I've actually purchased for my new instrument have been 1 new set of Orig. Flexocores.

Pirastro sent me Evah Orchestra's and Evah Weich's to "test" out but I did not care for them.

I have a used set of Permanents which I have not tried and they were a trade for a very old Eudoxa A and D string which I've had for 3 years.

So, I've actually spent less than $250.00 on strings in the past year and a bit, otherwise I'd be in the poor house.

Belcanto's to me sound deeper than Flexocors but not as sweet tonally. Maybe your Bass is just... too bright! You think? Permanents are not the answer at all and Evah's are great strings in my opinion.

Calvin Marks
05-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Belcanto's to me sound deeper than Flexocors but not as sweet tonally. Maybe your Bass is just... too bright! You think? Permanents are not the answer at all and Evah's are great strings in my opinion.

In regards to Permanents, I borrowed a set of from a friend and these cables sound fantastic on my instrument. Just the right amount of punch and clarity I was looking for while still keeping a good amount of fundamental. No more looking for the right string for me.

As I said before, Evah's sounded good on my instrument but they D and G were too thick in gauge for my liking and inhibited thumb position repertoire.

Cheers.

Arnold Schnitzer
05-20-2009, 06:51 PM
I would try a set of Original Flatchromes instead. Just my 2 cents...:)

Calvin Marks
05-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I would try a set of Original Flatchromes instead. Just my 2 cents...:)

Thanks for the advice. I really like the sound of the Permanents. Very focussed and clear sounding which is good for my dark instrument.

My old instrument had Flat-Chromes on it, I honestly can't remember much about them except that they were high tension and slightly more brilliant than the Orig. Flex's.

Before I order any string I'm going to try to get to a string "lab" and see what I can test before making another purchase.

I've spent 300.00 bucks on testing strings, not bad I suppose but still, I'd rather have that money in the bank.

Joel Larsson
05-20-2009, 07:55 PM
We all know money just don't go into the bank, it only comes out of it!
I believe 300 bucks is about what the average Swedish student spends on drinks each month. Better buying strings instead. ;)