PDA

View Full Version : Happy Days..

Ken Smith
05-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Ladies & Gents, I know that most people around these parts and all parts for that matter are experiencing economic difficulties beyond our own control. What I would like to do here in this Thread is the exact opposite of dwelling on this bad situation and focus on the good things that happen from day to day.

Call this the 'Good News' thread with personal stories of success and happy times regardless of how big or small it may seem.

So, to start things off I will post a few personal things to get the ball rolling and maybe set the pace.:):)

This month started off sluggish business wise but in the 3rd week we had some good sales. Not enough to get over the top but a good sign none the less. Then, a few days ago some more orders came in and put us back on track to finish up with a good month as far as the numbers we need to cover expenses and such.

On the personal side, the Big English Gamba bass I waited 5 years to hear a single note from came through its long extensive and expensive restoration a few weeks back but something was not right and the Neck was just too big and chunky for me. On the Neck part I took matters into my own hands knowing that Jeff Bollbach would match up the Heel varnish when he did the new C-Extension for me. The other problem was a Buzz coming from the lower bout Top on the G side near the Tailpiece. Well, Jeff found a few things that were rattled loose and the Buzz is now gone. Tomorrow I will actually pick up the Bass and hear it again but with its thunder providing lows from the new Bollbach Chromatic Extension. This to me is happier news than heaving a good month in the Shop.

So, post some Happy Days here in this Thread and maybe it will help ease the pain as we get through this long slow recession..

Arnold Schnitzer
05-30-2009, 08:34 AM
I am super-happy that I have recovered from a year's excrutiating shoulder pain (without surgery!) and am really making progress getting my golf game back in shape. I hadn't been able to play for a year, and my shoulder had messed up my swing for a couple years. It also had messed with my ability to do strenous work in the shop. Turned out I had been afflicted with a condition called adhesive capsulitis, or frozen shoulder. A big THANK YOU goes out to my physical therapist Angel, who tortured me ruthlessly for four months and got me back on track.

Now then Ken, are you ready to face me on the links?

Joel Larsson
05-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Despite a lot of messing around from my part, I am admitted to the school of Zürich for an exchange year. That's pretty swell. And I think I've worked just enough to be able to afford it, too... it'll be nice learning to play and all!

Craig Regan
05-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Its Springtime, (Winter is over).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3615/3578011797_5d4e11f450.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3397/3578816412_77c42e71f7.jpg?v=0

Joel Larsson
05-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Wise words, Craig!!

Here's why I am happy about that, too:
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs089.snc1/4635_104302663833_691543833_2678796_6544266_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4635/79/58/691543833/n691543833_2678797_4075195.jpg

Richard Prowse
05-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Craig, I don't think there should be a tower in the winter scene, maybe just a shed.
Okay, let's see... find the positive.
I got up and had to take my car out to put some gas in it because my daughter needs it to get to work. It's Sunday. It is bitterly cold and raining. I turned on the wipers, only to find that they wouldn't work.
Tomorrow is a public holiday, but I have to go to work. There will be no heaters on at work and I'll have to drive there without windscreen wipers.
But, the good thing, I watched a documentry film about Beethoven last night and his life seemed harder than mine.

Arnold Schnitzer
05-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Richard, you're a real bundle of joy...:mad:

Ken Smith
05-31-2009, 01:37 AM
Craig, I don't think there should be a tower in the winter scene, maybe just a shed.
Okay, let's see... find the positive.
I got up and had to take my car out to put some gas in it because my daughter needs it to get to work. It's Sunday. It is bitterly cold and raining. I turned on the wipers, only to find that they wouldn't work.
Tomorrow is a public holiday, but I have to go to work. There will be no heaters on at work and I'll have to drive there without windscreen wipers.
But, the good thing, I watched a documentary film about Beethoven last night and his life seemed harder than mine.

Richard, such a breath of fresh air. That's if you're having trouble breathing..:eek:

Richard Prowse
05-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Richard, you're a real bundle of joy...:mad:
Arnold, this thread is called 'Happy Days'. I don't think it was in the right spirit for you to use the red angry face.

Ken, I'm an asthmatic in temporary remission.

Monday.
I'm in at work now, writing millions of reports. The door lock on C Block is broken, so I can't get material I need to complete what I must get done.
I've been here since before 8am and am forced to work in the admin block with limited resources. No one else is here, just me. Me and the cold.
However, the good news is that it didn't rain too hard this morning and I was able to get to work with no windscreen wipers. I think I might be on a roll.

Arnold Schnitzer
05-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Arnold, this thread is called 'Happy Days'. I don't think it was in the right spirit for you to use the red angry face.

I apologize. Perhaps it was also not in the spirit for you to engage in self-absorbed whining...Ken was trying to nudge people toward looking at things with a positive perspective.

Richard Prowse
05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
I apologize. Perhaps it was also not in the spirit for you to engage in self-absorbed whining...Ken was trying to nudge people toward looking at things with a positive perspective.
But both my posts had a happy ending. Some people believe that one must experience sadness in order to truely appreciate happiness. Both of my posts ended on a happy note and, I think, were tales of rising above adversity. What is happiness if it cannot be compared to struggle? I'm sure that I managed to uplift quite a few people.
You watch - Ken will post soon to say,
"Well done Richard."
Don't forget, too, how positive I was about Craig's spring tower - it reminded me of The Rite of Spring - pagan fertility rituals, and all that.

Brian Gencarelli
06-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Here is my short list of happy:

1) 4 Days of school left!!!!!!!

2) Got my A/C hooked up in the shop!!!! Ready to make some saw dust!!

3) Bought a cordless/rechargeable lawnmower yesterday at Lowes!

4) Going to Ruth Chris' for my wifes birthday Wednesday!

5) Going to bust out the golf clubs for the first time since January... Arnold- if you come down to SC I will gladly take you out on the links!

Whoo-hooo!
Summer here I come!
BG

Tim Bishop
06-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Happy week.....

I'm enjoying my new Smith BSR5EG Zebra, WOW! :) :D

Cabela's (my home away from home) is having an incredible sidewalk sale: Around 80+% off of top-notch everything. Made a killing on some great buys yesterday. :D

I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend, however, I may go out and sight in my AR-15's. :)

The Texas Rangers are in first place :) as they head to Boston. :eek:

My dog's are happy and doing great! :)

My recent fuel fill-up confirmed 59 MPG. :)

All in all, I'd say this has been my happy week! :):D

Nathan Parker
06-05-2009, 11:18 AM
The wife, the baby and I will be moving in to our new condo in one week. Finally get to enjoy this whole property ownership thing. Quite a big step for us.

Now who wants to help us pay our mortgage?

Jeremy Darrow
06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
My gig last night provided lodging at a nice hotel. My roommate did not snore, I slept peacefully and awoke to find soft towels and good coffee available.

Tim Bishop
06-05-2009, 11:37 AM
The wife, the baby and I will be moving in to our new condo in one week. Finally get to enjoy this whole property ownership thing. Quite a big step for us.

Now who wants to help us pay our mortgage?

Congratulations! Good luck with that mortgage payment help. :)

Tim Bishop
06-05-2009, 11:38 AM
My gig last night provided lodging at a nice hotel. My roommate did not snore, I slept peacefully and awoke to find soft towels and good coffee available.
Sounds great. No snoring; good sleep; a good thing!

Richard Prowse
06-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, isn't this a happy little thread!
I suppose I'm happy because it's Saturday morning. I know that's not exactly up there with having a new bass or getting a big mortgage, or not snoring in a hotal room but, credit where credit is due, I am working on being happy.

Richard Prowse
06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Here is my short list of happy:

1) 4 Days of school left!!!!!!!

2) Got my A/C hooked up in the shop!!!! Ready to make some saw dust!!

3) Bought a cordless/rechargeable lawnmower yesterday at Lowes!

4) Going to Ruth Chris' for my wifes birthday Wednesday!

5) Going to bust out the golf clubs for the first time since January... Arnold- if you come down to SC I will gladly take you out on the links!

Whoo-hooo!
Summer here I come!
BG
I'm assuming that Brian's on holiday now. Maybe he needs to update us about his happiness levels. On second thoughts, he's probably out using the lawnmower. Maybe he's mowing the golf course. Oh happy days!

Brian Gencarelli
06-06-2009, 11:39 AM
1. School's out for summer.:D

2. The lawnmower works beautifully, however we have had 2" of rain in the last two days- so until it dries out, no mowing for me. :D

3. I have repaired some school instruments- broken necks from clumsy children. (No repair money left, so it's up to me):rolleyes:

4. Haven't hit the golf course yet- too wet. But might make it to the driving range tomorrow. ;)

Wishing I could go to ISB- but, can't get there. I am on staycation this summer. :(

I would say I am at a 3.5 out of 5 right now... not bad for the first weekend out of school.

BG

Ken Smith
06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
1. School's out for summer.:D

2. The lawnmower works beautifully, however we have had 2" of rain in the last two days- so until it dries out, no mowing for me. :D

3. I have repaired some school instruments- broken necks from clumsy children. (No repair money left, so it's up to me):rolleyes:

4. Haven't hit the golf course yet- too wet. But might make it to the driving range tomorrow. ;)

Wishing I could go to ISB- but, can't get there. I am on staycation this summer. :(

I would say I am at a 3.5 out of 5 right now... not bad for the first weekend out of school.

BG

Guys, this is a one and only life time event. I will not be able to drive to any other ISB unless it's as close or closer to this one!;)

Richard Prowse
06-06-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm feeling very happy this morning. This is not the happiest I've ever been, but I am happy.
The cause of my happiness? Well, Brian fixed those instruments. I often have to fix school instruments too. I feel a kinship, like I am no longer alone. This makes me happy. Thanks Ken for starting this thread.

Anselm Hauke
06-06-2009, 05:20 PM
i am happy because i have 5 friends here:
richard, oren, paul, stefano and robert.
having friends makes me happy.

Richard Prowse
06-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Nice sentiment, my dear friend.
Ridiculous amounts of money would make me happy.

Brian Gencarelli
06-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Guys, this is a one and only life time event. I will not be able to drive to any other ISB unless it's as close or closer to this one!;)

I know, I know... :(

Fortunately, I have been to ISB before. Actually I performed a recital with my bass professor at the '97 convention in Houston at Rice. Trust me, I thought about driving up, but I just have too much to do here.

Ken- it would actually be closer for me to drive up to your shop. Just have to make the excuse to do it.

Richard Prowse
06-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I am happy because Brian is thinking about visiting Ken.

Oren Hudson
06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
It's The Fonz here. Hey. So just don't sit on it, do something with it. OK Richie, Potsie and Ralph M.? I'm still looking for Joanie.

Thank you Anselm for the Happy inclusion in your friends post.

My day is ending happy. I've just purchased a late 60s-early70s JBL D140F speaker. :)

Arturo Baguer
06-09-2009, 12:44 AM
1. After my wife getting laid off, can still pay our mortgage. Knock on wood.
2. Love where we live and the trees are full and green.
3. Read great article in New Yorker called "The Fall of Kings" about the world economic crisis and wall street.
4. Am a musician and not a stockbroker:D

Richard Prowse
06-09-2009, 12:54 AM
1. After my wife getting laid off, can still pay our mortgage. Knock on wood.
2. Love where we live and the trees are full and green.
3. Read great article in New Yorker called "The Fall of Kings" about the world economic crisis and wall street.
4. Am a musician and not a stockbroker:D
Sorry Arturo but the happiness in this post is borderline, to say the least! I feel that neither Ken, nor Arnold, will be happy to see 'faint glimmers of hope' on a thread that is defined with the word 'happy'.
I have taken the liberty of rewritting your post:
"1. After my wife getting laid off, can still pay our mortgage. Knock on my door; I hope I've won money.
2. Love where we live and the trees are full and green. We can probably eat them.
3. Read great article in New Yorker called "The Fall of Kings" about the world economic crisis and wall street. Used the New Yorker to start a fire - warm now.
4. Am a musician and not a stockbroker, but I'm studying dentistry and have stopped using those silly green faces."

Arturo Baguer
06-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Sorry Arturo but the happiness in this post is borderline, to say the least! I feel that neither Ken, nor Arnold, will be happy to see 'faint glimmers of hope' on a thread that is defined with the word 'happy'.
I have taken the liberty of rewritting your post:
"1. After my wife getting laid off, can still pay our mortgage. Knock on my door; I hope I've won money.
2. Love where we live and the trees are full and green. We can probably eat them.
3. Read great article in New Yorker called "The Fall of Kings" about the world economic crisis and wall street. Used the New Yorker to start a fire - warm now.
4. Am a musician and not a stockbroker, but I'm studying dentistry and have stopped using those silly green faces."

And you my friend have a future in writing copy.

P.S. Can't I keep the silly green face. So much is being taken away these days.

Oren Hudson
06-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Here's your "happy" for today, June 9th, 2009. Les Paul celebrates his 94th. Happy Birthday. :)

Anselm Hauke
06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
i hope i have some fellow musicians like les when i´m 94...

Oren Hudson
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
i hope i have some fellow musicians like les when i´m 94...

Nice fellow musicians. Wow! Elton John on piano. Looks like a nice string section too. :)

Richard Prowse
06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
It's true, I am to fixing basses what Ivan the Terrible probably was to kissing babies. The action on my bass, in thumb position, has been too high for far too long and it has been really making me sad. This morning I read and reread Ken's and Arnold's thoughts on setup on this site. I've had my bass at three luthiers trying to get the action right. Today, following Ken's and Arnold's advice, and having set up the living room with tools and a padded table, I slowly lowered my bridge. Success!!! I am honestly feeling so happy and looking forward to lots of practice! Thank you Ken and Arnold for sharing a bit of your expertise and making an old guy (though a bit younger than Ken) very happy.
Sincere thanks - when my bass is happy, I am happy.

Nathan Parker
06-10-2009, 10:27 PM
I think that's the happiest thing you've posted, Richard. And that makes me happy.

Richard Prowse
06-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I think that's the happiest thing you've posted, Richard. And that makes me happy.
Nathan, lets make it a rule - when I'm happy, you're happy too.
Thanks for worrying about me.
Gosh, this happy thread of Ken's really does work!

Richard Prowse
06-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I've just noticed that there's a section called "Luthier's Corner". The title should actually read "Luthiers' Corner" because, I assume, it is an area where more than one luthier is welcome. I'm sure that Ken will read this and fix the problem. I'm always happy* when grammar mistakes are fixed.

*Nathan will be happy too.

Nathan Parker
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
'Tis true, that made me happy.

On another happy note, I'm quite pleased with my new bass. It is kickin' ass all over my old bass. And, I'm getting a lot of compliments, both on the looks and the sound.

Richard Prowse
06-11-2009, 05:56 PM
'Tis true, that made me happy.

On another happy note, I'm quite pleased with my new bass. It is kickin' ass all over my old bass. And, I'm getting a lot of compliments, both on the looks and the sound.
That's great Nathan, but I don't understand why your bass would want to kick a donkey.

Oren Hudson
06-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Hey - The Fonz here. Oh happy day, since it's time to go way. Way down South in Dixie. Actually not too far from where the Civil War began.

So - I'll be heading out to the beach soon and will be back in about 10 days. :)

Joel Larsson
06-13-2009, 10:32 AM
I am happy because I have finished cleaning my apartment. Passed the examination by the janitor with only one remark. Tomorrow I leave for Mo i Rana, and within a week, I'll be dragging my feet around in Sweden and being up to no good throughout almost the entire summer. :D

Richard Prowse
06-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Tomorrow I leave for Mo i Rana, and within a week, I'll be dragging my feet around in Sweden and being up to no good throughout almost the entire summer. :D
I'll be happy if you behave yourself and stay out of trouble - remember what Oren said about not wanting trouble while he's away.

Joel Larsson
06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
We'll see about that. I'll probably stay out of trouble. I had some trouble on my way to Mo i Rana, though. But I got through it with my bass and life and I am happy abut that!

Ken Smith
06-15-2009, 02:02 PM
This is my first official day back in the office after the ISB last week.

The ISB was great in terms of meeting some of the best players in the world, watching them play my basses and enjoying their friendship however short the time was.

Truly a positive venue.:cool:

Marcus Johnson
06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I haven't been in these forums for awhile.... so, I'm genuinely happy to see a bunch of activity here. I learn a lot here.

Tim Bishop
06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Saltgrass Steakhouse has a new item on their menu: A 24 oz. bone-in rib-eye. Service is top-notch, frozen margaritas are the best and tonight's dinner made me very happy :D:).

Joel Larsson
06-16-2009, 12:00 PM
I shared a pizza with a couple of the folks I play with this week, and it was about as good as those we have in Sweden! Norwegian pizzas are more about thick bread, and I don't understand what's up with that - who fancies the bread? This was perfect thought; good ingredients, and the bread got fluffy (as opposed to thick and dense!) towards the edges for your holding pleasure. Mo i Rana may not appear much on first sight, but with pizzas this quality, this is probably one of the top Norwegian cities.

Joel Larsson
06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
I forgot to say that the meal made me happy. It did.

Richard Prowse
06-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm happy about something, I just can't quite put my finger on what it is. Could it be an early onset of senility? Maybe I'm just happy that they have good pizzas in a place that I've never been to? I guess happiness can be inspired by distant events. Maybe I'm happy because of Neptune's orbit?

Joel Larsson
06-21-2009, 04:35 AM
I am happy because now I'm back home in Sweden!

Richard Prowse
06-23-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm happy because I'm warming up, after having to wash the frost off my car's windows.

This could be described as a 'little happy'.

Brian Gencarelli
06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I am happy because I had this bass in the shop last Thursday. The fingerboard extension is now the proper color to match the other fingerboard and the whole board is dressed. Plays like buttah. Now on to the next project!

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp322/bgencare/Bass%20Rack/Basses%20I%20worked%20on/BrianwithPrescott.jpg

Richard Prowse
06-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Brian,
Shouldn't your post have started with,
"I'm happy because..."

Oren Hudson
06-26-2009, 09:17 PM
OK Richie and the gang. The Fonz is maybe looking at a happy day Saturday. Cousin Chucky and I are going to the Guitar Show in Columbia, South Carolina. It's usually a fun day including, but not limited to, some of the best bar-b-cue anywhere, at a place known as Maurice's Piggy Park. An old curb service (although no longer available) type place with Confederate flags lining the exterior of the building. Maybe a SC State flag, a favorite of my friend Richard, thrown in for good measure. Back to you Richie, Potsie and Ralph. :)

Ken Smith
06-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I am happy because I had this bass in the shop last Thursday. The fingerboard extension is now the proper color to match the other fingerboard and the whole board is dressed. Plays like buttah. Now on to the next project!

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp322/bgencare/Bass%20Rack/Basses%20I%20worked%20on/BrianwithPrescott.jpg

Nice Prescott there.. What is the string length?

Brian Gencarelli
06-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Ken,

I think it is around 42-42.5". I should have measured it, but spaced out and didn't think about it.

I know it has new neck. (relatively) It was worked on by Bob's Bass Violin Shop in Greensboro, NC when Eliot purchased it. It is a very nice bass, and one that I sit with often in the Greenville Symphony. We have some good wood in that section. It has a really nice sound. Not the most powerful Prescott I have ever played, but very even and I think it is still coming back from all of the interior work that was done to it in the restoration.

It was truly a privledge to work on a bass of this magnitude.

BG

Brian Gencarelli
06-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Oh Richard... I almost forgot... I am happy because I found the link to some more shots of the Prescott. http://www.bassviolinshop.com/testimonials.html

Enjoy,
BG

Richard Prowse
06-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Oh Richard... I almost forgot... I am happy because I found the link to some more shots of the Prescott. http://www.bassviolinshop.com/testimonials.html

Enjoy,
BG
Brian, you know how it works...
when you're happy, I'm happy.

By the way, the bass looks great.

Oren Hudson
06-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Oren, you know how it works...
when you're happy, I'm happy.

Well Richard, you've got some happying to do, so get started, my friend. :)

Ken Smith
06-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Ken,

I think it is around 42-42.5". I should have measured it, but spaced out and didn't think about it.

I know it has new neck. (relatively) It was worked on by Bob's Bass Violin Shop in Greensboro, NC when Eliot purchased it. It is a very nice bass, and one that I sit with often in the Greenville Symphony. We have some good wood in that section. It has a really nice sound. Not the most powerful Prescott I have ever played, but very even and I think it is still coming back from all of the interior work that was done to it in the restoration.

It was truly a privledge to work on a bass of this magnitude.

BG

Yes, I have seen that Bass before on Bob's 'site. Prescott basses will vary as did the construction did along with the various graduations he tried and not to mention nearly 200 years of various restorations, repairs or even alterations.

I was privileged to have owned for a short time a Prescott from what we believe to be his early period. It was a 4/4 gamba with the upper bouts reduced as well as the c-bouts but the corners were not touched, just opened up a little deeper for bowing perhaps. The F-wings were still attached and the arching the same as the day it was made. This bass had normal Italian style graduations and were original as we could see the scar shadow of the original bassbar in the top. Great Basses those Prescotts are if maintained.

Richard Prowse
06-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Oren, you know how it works...
when Ken's happy, I'm happy.

Richard Prowse
06-27-2009, 05:42 PM
This morning I'm reasonably happy. Do I have to always explain my positive feelings to you all?

Joel Larsson
06-29-2009, 05:06 AM
Call this the 'Good News' thread with personal stories of success and happy times regardless of how big or small it may seem.
Reading this, I don't think you are obliged to always tell us about when you are happy. I'd say that you could even post stories from the past.
Myself, I am happy most of the time. But with the temperature today, I might get a little grumpy when the computer guy who has fixed the firewire output calls me up and tells me to go there and get it. But, getting it back means that I could get back to making silly, stupid music! And the thought of that makes me happy. :)

Richard Prowse
06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Reading this, I don't think you are obliged to always tell us about when you are happy. I'd say that you could even post stories from the past.
Myself, I am happy most of the time. But with the temperature today, I might get a little grumpy when the computer guy who has fixed the firewire output calls me up and tells me to go there and get it. But, getting it back means that I could get back to making silly, stupid music! And the thought of that makes me happy. :)
E. Joel, happiness seems to be a complex thing.

Oren Hudson
06-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Here's my Fonzie moment. A post of mine showed up on the welcome thread this afternoon. What's so happy days about that? I posted on 2 threads on Sunday night that have yet to show up. They were good and lengthy, so re-posting is probably not going to happen. :)

Richard Prowse
06-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Here's my Fonzie moment. A post of mine showed up on the welcome thread this afternoon. What's so happy days about that? I posted on 2 threads on Sunday night that have yet to show up. They were good and lengthy, so re-posting is probably not going to happen. :)
Oren, my posting troubled friend, you're supposed to profess to be happy on this thread.
I'm happy, for example, because I'm sitting down.

Richard Prowse
06-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Good morning. I'm sitting down again = happy.

Ken Smith
06-30-2009, 04:10 PM
The New Pre Amp/Practice Amp (aka P.A.P.A) is here and finally done. This makes me happy as it was years in the making mainly because it was shelved 2 years ago due to more important projects that needed to be done. Now the samples are here and will soon be on the website and available for sale.

Oren Hudson
06-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Good morning. I'm sitting down again = happy.

Does this mean that when you stand, you are unhappy? I believe that this would be a logical assumption.

In any event, try to sit as much as possible. In fact, I hope that you are sitting right now. That would make The Fonz real happy. :)

Richard Prowse
07-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Does this mean that when you stand, you are unhappy? I believe that this would be a logical assumption.

In any event, try to sit as much as possible. In fact, I hope that you are sitting right now. That would make The Fonz real happy. :)
Oren, my friend who often lifts me with unquestionable logic, you are indeed right!
I sit to relax, I sit for a bowel movement and I sit to indulge in the delights that Ken's Corner offers. The only joy that standing brings is playing my double bass. Come to think of it, I'm happiest when playing my bass (pleasures of the flesh excluded here). I'll start again, oh wise man from the northern south...
tonight I'm happy because I'm standing with my bass.

Good evening. I'm standing with my bass = happy.

Joel Larsson
07-01-2009, 06:04 AM
I am happy because Nils Palm offered me a nice semla-discount when I purchased a bass bag and some rosin from him.

I am also happy because I am going to see Andreas Henningson today.

Oren Hudson
07-01-2009, 07:34 AM
I am happy because Nils Palm offered me a nice semla-discount when I purchased a bass bag and some rosin from him.

Joel, my friend, do you sprinkle the rosin over the top of the semla, or do you just mix it in? :)

Joel Larsson
07-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I try to keep the semla away from the bow, as the grease would ruin the hair, but some rosins would definitely make a good replacement for the powdered sugar on top of the semla. Not this one, though; it's of the sticky kind. Maybe I could replace the almond paste in the middle with some of it, though...

By the way, just thinking of semlor makes me happy. :)
Too bad it's not the right season for them...

Oren Hudson
07-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Upon further review - I've decided that what I posted on The Pit Bull thread should actually go here too.

HAPPY
35TH
ANNIVERSARY
DONNA
AND
OREN

JULY 7TH

Many happy days indeed. :)

Tim Bishop
07-06-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm happy that the Texas Rangers are playing good baseball. Watching the game tonight against the Angels: Both teams are tied for first. :D

Richard Prowse
07-08-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm happy that the Texas Rangers are playing good baseball. Watching the game tonight against the Angels: Both teams are tied for first. :D
Wasn't Walker a Texas Ranger? I think he was also called Chuck Norris.

Tim Bishop
07-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Wasn't Walker a Texas Ranger? I think he was also called Chuck Norris.Yes, that would be correct, but he was certainly not a baseball player.

Richard Prowse
07-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Yes, that would be correct, but he was certainly not a baseball player.
Baseball is a game for sissies.

Richard Prowse
07-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Baseball is a game for sissies.
All games are - life is much harder.
But 'hard' can be fun.
I'm happy about that.

Tim Bishop
08-06-2009, 04:35 AM
I'm happy, as it appears, Randy Kohr's instruments have been recovered through a Pawn Shop sting in Columbus, Ohio. :)

http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?p=14774#post14774

Oren Hudson
08-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Got my Altec 421A back from Great Plains Audio after they did a complete rebuild on it. Supposedly, the top 2 guys were long time employees at Altec and bought the stock when Altec closed, including the 3 inch aluminum dust caps, that are a little difficult to come by. Anyway, I've installed it, along with another matching Altec in my '72 Ampeg B25B cab. I actually used the cab and matching head in an audition session with a drummer the other night and was pleasantly surprised with the performance. So far, so good is the good news. :)

Tim Bishop
08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm happy this week because I will be getting my Smith 5GN Bubinga fretless back: Bubinga Top and Back, Tiger Maple Core, Blank Ebony Fretboard: Pure sweetness!

In a moment of stupidity (WTH was I thinking :eek:), I sold this bass about 5 years ago. It was a special order I had placed with Ken over the phone back in the first quarter of 2001. It is THE BEST feeling and sounding fretless I have played, EVER.

Fortunately, I was given the opportunity to get it back. It's on its way and should be here tomorrow or Friday :).

Here are a couple of pics:

Tim Bishop
08-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Well, just when I thought I couldn't be happier. I received my 5GN Fretless this morning and in exactly the same mint condition as it was when I bought it new (including case and case goodies). Even sounds better than I remember. :D:):)

Richard Prowse
08-14-2009, 04:33 AM
Well, just when I thought I couldn't be happier. I received my 5GN Fretless this morning and in exactly the same mint condition as it was when I bought it new (including case and case goodies). Even sounds better than I remember. :D:):)
Woof!
(imagine a head snuggled into a groin)

Oren Hudson
08-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Woof!

Don't you mean Woofer? Gotta spank that bottom end real good my friend Richard. Maybe even a big ole 18. :)

Richard Prowse
08-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Don't you mean Woofer? Gotta spank that bottom end real good my friend Richard. Maybe even a big ole 18. :)
All Blacks 19 Australia 18 - at Sydney Stadium, in front of 100,000 Australians. That's got to be better than a bowl of grits.

Oren Hudson
08-22-2009, 09:50 PM
All Blacks 19 Australia 18 - at Sydney Stadium, in front of 100,000 Australians. That's got to be better than a bowl of grits.

That is a mighty bold statement, but I'm sure you know of what you speak. Now, if we said All Blacks here in the US of A, we'd probably get a lawsuit from the American Civil Liberties Union. Or, maybe, no grits for a week. Oh well. That's life, brother. :)

Nathan Parker
08-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm glad that you're All Blacks spanked the Aussies, Richard. But, now I am a little curious as to how they got that name. Care to enlighten us?

Richard Prowse
08-23-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm glad that you're All Blacks spanked the Aussies, Richard. But, now I am a little curious as to how they got that name. Care to enlighten us?
Thanks Nathan, I thought you'd never ask.
The first New Zealand national rugby team to tour up north was known as The Originals. They wore a navy blue uniform that was a very dark colour. They were a great team and spectators were impressed how they all seemed to be able to run like backs. In rugby the forwards are the big solid guys and the backs are the guys who do all the fast running.
Some journalist referred to them as 'The All Backs' and someone mistook the quote to be about their completely black uniforms, which were really navy blue, - The All Blacks. The name stuck. To this day, almost all NZ sports people and teams wear black uniforms, with a silver fern. So there you have it. By the way, the USA rugby team has improved a lot over the years, but they're still no match for the All Blacks. Before a match the All Blacks generally perform a fierce Haka - a traditional Maori war dance.

Richard Prowse
08-23-2009, 03:08 PM
By the way, Nathan, the current Aussie team (they're called the Wallabies) has a kiwi coach.

Oren Hudson
08-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Here's the :D. For the last few weeks, I've been going through gear stashed away in the garage/band-room during the last 10 years or so. I've made many pleasant "discoveries" but the best one yet is a late 60's Fender Bassman rig. I just tonight discovered that the 2-15 cab is a designated JBL D140F cab. Wow! I never realized that. Although, since it was such a basket case when I bought it, I had to rebuild it entirely, (and it didn't have the JBLs in it) I just ran across and read the label designating it the optional factory JBL equipped cab. Just so happens, I have a D140F put back and another one getting rebuilt, they will go in it soon. :)

Richard Prowse
08-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Let's take it as a rule that when Oren's happy, I'm happy.

Richard Prowse
08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Ken is older than me again!
Happy Birthday, Perkasie Guy!

Richard Prowse
08-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Seems I just caught Ken's birthday in the last few minutes!
Happy birthday Vince!

Richard Prowse
08-31-2009, 02:45 PM
That's weird... the Happy Birthday notice has gone back to saying it's Ken's birthday again! Honestly!
What day is it up there?
Well, happy birthday to you both, I suppose.:eek:

Tim Bishop
09-28-2009, 11:42 PM
September 28, 2009, Monday Night Football: Cowboys 21 - Panthers 7. :D

Anselm Hauke
10-07-2009, 06:09 AM
today i am happy because i just got my very cool looking new 1TB external hard disk:
http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/product_large/hd_hddesignbyneilpouton_triple_4.jpg

Richard Prowse
10-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm happy because I have a gig in Levin tonight.
Oh, and I also have one of those things that Anselm has.

Tim Bishop
10-16-2009, 11:28 PM
My favorite time of the year! Fall is in the air, winter on the way and the NLCS and ALCS games have begun. :D

Current Standings (10/25/09):

NLCS: Dodgers 1 ; Phillies 4 - Over for the Dodgers. Phillies advance to World Series.
ALCS: Yankees 4 ; Angels 2 - Over for the Angels. Yankees advance to World Series.

Richard Prowse
10-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm happy today for no reason.

Joel Larsson
10-18-2009, 09:43 AM
I am happy because I am finally seeing the end of my personal financial crisis. A late salary is on the way. Even turns out I had two - or at least one and a half - insurances covering the last bow that I smashed, thus it almost makes up for losing the first one as well. I'm certainly looking forward to the day that I can place the order for a new one. :)
Also, from tomorrow I'll join a Norwegian ensemble for a one month tour, all expenses covered and fairly well paid above that. Wonderful concept, getting money for food apart from the money you already get. I reckon that the money can keep me alive until summer, if some care be taken not to go to the café nextdoors too many times in the week. But I am also happy because I will finally be able to eat there more often. :D