PDA

View Full Version : Ken Smith Players Should Play Other Basses

Mike Jenkins
06-01-2009, 03:14 AM
i believe those of us who have played Smith basses for a while take for granted how great they sound. I was out playing my mom's old 1980-something P-Bass and I'm thinking to myself, "this sounds pretty good I ought to play it more often." I come home and pick up my Smith and I'm blown away thinking, "This sounds GREAT, no wonder why I play it all the time!!!"

I believe our ears get so used to the great Smith sound that it becomes regular or "comon" to us. By playing another brand of bass every so often it will break the pattern and we'll appreciate our Smiths even more when we come back to them. What do you think?

Jason Mendelson
06-01-2009, 05:58 PM
other basses just not feel the same... i liked the feel or sound of any other 5 or 6 string bass for years...

the smiths just feel perfect for my body type / hands etc... guess growing up playing them doesnt influence that much though ;)

my friend when I was like 14, had a ken smith, that was a 5 string that he had converted to a 6 string. he had this crazy style where he played with a pick and popped with his middle finger, was pretty cool... i almost bought it from him but then decided to get my first smith brand new... i used to play that bass all the time though...

Tim Bishop
06-03-2009, 07:11 AM
other basses just not feel the same...

the smiths just feel perfect for my body type / hands etc... ;)

I agree. Also, Ken does a nice set-up on these basses before they leave his hands. So, IF any tweeking to action is done by the end-user, I would suspect it would be minimal. ;)

Dave Eichman
08-03-2009, 10:52 PM
The nicest basses I had at one point were two Modulus Quantums. I custom ordered a four and a five string, both in the early ninety's when they made neck through basses, these were both neck through. I loved them........they were the greatest basses of all time. Years later I bought a Black Tiger Elite. Of course I was blowen away when I opened the case, before I ever touched it, played it or heard it. I took it to band rehearsal, played it and the reality of how poorly my two great Modulus basses sounded hit me like a ton of bricks. I sold both of them within months, they honestly didn't even come close to the Smith in any department. I can't wait to get my hands on a new Black Tiger Elite due later this week!

Tim Bishop
11-03-2009, 07:02 PM
....I can't wait to get my hands on a new Black Tiger Elite due later this week!How ya likin it, Dave?

Tim Bishop
12-28-2009, 10:50 PM
How ya likin it, Dave?Oh Dave???

Dave Martin
12-28-2009, 11:48 PM
I was out playing my mom's old 1980-something P-Bass

I don't know why this line made me smile, but it did. :)

Michael Wilson
12-31-2009, 12:40 AM
I too am a total Smith head for 95% of my gigs, but there are times that my Fender 5 is called for by the producer for that sound. But if it was my call, it would be Smith 100% of the time.

Mike