PDA

View Full Version : The Grits Thread.

Richard Prowse
06-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Do we really need a grits thread? Over to you, Oren...

Oren Hudson
06-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Do we really need a grits thread? Over to you, Oren...

Only if you want to be the cool, talented, intelligent, emotionally stable, well rounded, pajama wearing gift to women that I am! If not, then just skip the grits. :)

Richard Prowse
06-06-2009, 05:08 PM
"Michael Jackson owns the rights to the South Carolina State Anthem."
This is supposedly true. Do grits make you crazy?

Richard Prowse
06-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Why are there no grits recipes yet on this thread?

Oren Hudson
06-08-2009, 09:40 PM

It's on the box.

Oren Hudson
06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
"Michael Jackson owns the rights to the South Carolina State Anthem."
This is supposedly true. Do grits make you crazy?

Yea, and every time you sing Happy Birthday, send Michael money.

Oren Hudson
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM

Your wish is my command. OK my real Southern friend. I've posted 4 new pix @ http://oren=hudson.u.yuku.com/gallery. Pbass '57 reissue. Vintage 515B Lansing speaker AND----You guessed it---- Grits bag and recipe. Actually should post this in the HAPPY DAYS thread too! :)

Oren Hudson
06-10-2009, 11:50 PM
My sorry rascal friend Richard - get up and fix those grits. :)

Richard Prowse
06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
My sorry rascal friend Richard - get up and fix those grits. :)
Are the grits broken?

Oren Hudson
06-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Are the grits broken?

They're broken until you fix 'em, my dear friend Richard. :)

Richard Prowse
06-11-2009, 11:24 PM
They're broken until you fix 'em, my dear friend Richard. :)
Clarification please, my confederate friend.

Richard Prowse
06-22-2009, 04:48 AM
I'm missing Oren more than a plate of grits.

Oren Hudson
06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
The King of Grits is back. Vacation was OK. It was interrupted last Friday by a call from a friend that was checking up on Molly and Samantha, our two outdoor dogs. She found that Molly had fallen ill, so we made the 4 hour trip back home. Unfortunately, we didn't make it in time and sweet Molly (the yellow lab in picture 9 of the pics I posted a while back) had died. So we had her funeral and buried her in her lot. We then we sadly returned to the beach for the last 3 days of the vacation time.

Be assured that we had plenty of grits while at the coast. Each time, I imagined my friends around the world enjoying the pleasure that I was. ;)

Tim Bishop
06-23-2009, 10:46 PM
The King of Grits is back. Vacation was OK. It was interrupted last Friday by a call from a friend that was checking up on Molly and Samantha, our two outdoor dogs. She found that Molly had fallen ill, so we made the 4 hour trip back home. Unfortunately, we didn't make it in time and sweet Molly (the yellow lab in picture 9 of the pics I posted a while back) had died. So we had her funeral and buried her in her lot. We then we sadly returned to the beach for the last 3 days of the vacation time.

Man do I so understand that loss, Oren. I very much know what it is like to loose a most loyal and faithful animal such as Molly most likely was. I am feeling your pain and am so sorry to here that this happened.

Richard Prowse
06-23-2009, 11:42 PM
My best wishes too, my friend.

Joel Larsson
06-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes. That ought to be even worse than losing a bass. :(

Oren Hudson
06-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and words. Both Donna and I are dog lovers and losing one is, to us, like losing a member of the family. Molly had been with us for 10 years.

Sorry for my limited visiting, but work has, fortunately, been busy. I'm trying to stay one step ahead of the poor house. :)

Tim Bishop
06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Both Donna and I are dog lovers and losing one is, to us, like losing a member of the family. Molly had been with us for 10 years.

I totally understand and can relate to that, Oren. As I sit here typing this, I look up at the photo's of 4 of my shepherds I have lost over the last 9 years. I can take comfort in knowing they had a great life and I gave to them all I could. I suspect you are no different. H

Have you read The Rainbow Bridge?

Oren Hudson
06-24-2009, 11:26 PM
I totally understand and can relate to that, Oren. As I sit here typing this, I look up at the photo's of 4 of my shepherds I have lost over the last 9 years. I can take comfort in knowing they had a great life and I gave to them all I could. I suspect you are no different. H

Have you read The Rainbow Bridge?

Well Tim, many of our friends swear that we have a dog "magnet" in our yard. When one shows up, those friends say that the dog has just won the lottery. :)

Rainbow Bridge is a beauty!

Tim Bishop
06-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Well Tim, many of our friends swear that we have a dog "magnet" in our yard. When one shows up, those friends say that the dog has just won the lottery. :)

Rainbow Bridge is a beauty!I love it and I'm not surprised. :)

Oren Hudson
07-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Are the grits ready yet Aunt Bea? Aunt Bea responds "No, I've got to wait till Richard gets back from the grits farm. I'm getting worried, he's been gone a good bit. Andy, maybe you should go and check on him." Opie replies "I think I heard him say something about stopping at some BBQ first. Maybe that's why he's running late with the grits." ...TBC

Oren Hudson
08-20-2009, 07:49 AM
The grits club wishes Richard a Happy Birthday. Ya'll enjoy now, hear. :)

Oren Hudson
10-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Not sure if he's ever had grits (his loss if not) but today, 10/2, is the birthday of a fellow bassist that's fairly well known.
Happy Birthday STING. He's now caught up with Ken and passed me for a few months. :)

I know, yadi yadi yadi.

Richard Prowse
10-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Not sure if he's ever had grits (his loss if not) but today, 10/2, is the birthday of a fellow bassist that's fairly well known.
Happy Birthday STING. He's now caught up with Ken and passed me for a few months. :)

I know, yadi yadi yadi.
It's questionable whether this post belongs on The Grits Thread. Ken, can you moderate?

Oren Hudson
12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
It's revival time in Dixie. Donna fixed one of my favorites tonight, shrimp and grits. Made me do three things. Whistle Dixie, think about my buds on here that have never had the pleasure, and get a very full belly. YUM YUM. It's also cold in Dixie tonight, but that shrimp and grits will help with that. I believe it'll be a 3 Dog Night - Maci, Max and Pierre. So remember all of you out there in bass land - One IS The Loneliest Number. Enjoy your weekend. :)

Richard Prowse
12-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm glad to see the grits thread back on topic.

Oren Hudson
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm glad to see the grits thread back on topic.

And again :D tonight. It's been since 12/11/09. Soooo good.

Anselm Hauke
02-21-2010, 01:46 PM
today i made this: beef tenderloin with my special-sauce#2 (cream, french grainy mustard, parsley, pepper, salt, garlic, onion, noilly prat, and a little bit of herbes de provence and lemonjuice) + rice (see attached pic) with an excellent australian wine, a stickleback red from 2008 http://www.heartlandwines.com.au/wines/stickred05.asp
http://www.heartlandwines.com.au/media/bottles/stickleback_red_150.jpgthe wine has 90 parker points and is not very expensive. but very good!
a perfect match.
life is good!

Ken Smith
02-21-2010, 06:20 PM
I had some for breakfast Sunday. I was too lazy and tired to make anything else or go out. 3 packs in a microwave bowl, 1 1/2 cups of water, add a little butter and sugar.. Nuke a few minutes and whala.. Instant tasty Grits.. Quaker Oats brand..

Oren Hudson
02-21-2010, 10:50 PM
today i made this: beef tenderloin with my special-sauce#2 (cream, french grainy mustard, parsley, pepper, salt, noilly prat, and a little bit of herbes de provence and lemonjuice) + rice

With the exception of pepper, this sounds and looks real good, my friend Anselm. Not a pepper (or any "hot" or spicy additive) fan. :)

Oren Hudson
02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I had some for breakfast Sunday. I was too lazy and tired to make anything else or go out. 3 packs in a microwave bowl, 1 1/2 cups of water, add a little butter and sugar.. Nuke a few minutes and whala.. Instant tasty Grits.. Quaker Oats brand..

What a revelation Ken. I love the butter piled on, but I've never had it with sugar. Try it with shrimp sometime. :D

Ken Smith
02-22-2010, 01:12 AM
What a revelation Ken. I love the butter piled on, but I've never had it with sugar. Try it with shrimp sometime. :D

Not piled on at all. Just a scoop or two. It says to add milk or water. I add water and some butter. Butter is made from milk too I think but tastes better. The sugar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits) makes the dish for me..:) It is also common for people from above the Mason-Dixon Line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason%E2%80%93Dixon_Line) to have sugar with their grits. ..I just found that on-line. In Florida where I first had Grits with eggs as a boy (last century:eek:), they served it with a little butter on top, melting in as they served it.

Once in New Orleans at a Guitar Player magazine breakfast (1985) they had shrimps for the omelets there. I had the shrimps and something else or two in the eggs as well, can't recall. First and only time. It was good. The Shrimps were really fresh.

Now, when I was a kid we had two kinds of hot cereal in the house. Wheatena and Farina. To my recollect, the Farina which was white in color (the Wheatena was brown) was Grits or something real close. You think?

Richard Prowse
02-22-2010, 07:14 PM
today i made this: beef tenderloin with my special-sauce#2 (cream, french grainy mustard, parsley, pepper, salt, garlic, onion, noilly prat, and a little bit of herbes de provence and lemonjuice) + rice (see attached pic) with an excellent australian wine, a stickleback red from 2008 the wine has 90 parker points and is not very expensive. but very good!
a perfect match.
life is good!
Anselm,
Down here (NZ) the words 'excellent' and 'Australian' are seldom used in the same sentence. Next time try a Gisborne Chardonnay or maybe one from Marlborough.

Oren Hudson
02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Anselm,
Down here (NZ) the words 'excellent' and 'Australian' are seldom used in the same sentence. Next time try a Gisborne Chardonnay or maybe one from Marlborough.

So RICHARD RIDES AGAIN. I'm delighted that you're back on your Harlee and riding in the Bree's. Just don't forget to stop and smell the Chardonnay. Then grab a bowl of grits and you are set, my friend. :cool:

Anselm Hauke
02-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Anselm,

richard, i knew you would say something like this.

i am not a fan of chardonnay, but i will look for the gisbourne.

but i also would beg you to give this EXCELLENT AUSTRALIAN WINE a chance.

Richard Prowse
02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
richard, i knew you would say something like this.

i am not a fan of chardonnay, but i will look for the gisbourne.

but i also would beg you to give this EXCELLENT AUSTRALIAN WINE a chance.
You guys probably won't get this joke, because it's all about Aussie and Kiwi accents, but here goes:
Someone painted some graffiti on the Sydney Harbour bridge that read,
"New Zealand sux!"
Some bright spark (obviously a Kiwi) added,
"Australia nil."

Okay, Anselm, Australians make some good wines and I'm pleased you enjoyed your bottle.

Anselm Hauke
02-23-2010, 12:57 PM
You guys probably won't get this joke, because it's all about Aussie and Kiwi accents, but here goes:
Someone painted some graffiti on the Sydney Harbour bridge that read,
"New Zealand sux!"
Some bright spark (obviously a Kiwi) added,
"Australia nil."
you are right as usual, i don´t get it

Okay, Anselm, Australians make some good wines and I'm pleased you enjoyed your bottle.
more than this, i think about getting a second one

Richard Prowse
02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
The joke is about the way Australians (seex) and New Zealanders (sux) pronounce the word 'six'.

Anselm Hauke
02-23-2010, 01:14 PM
thanks my friend richard. i think i understand it now.

now tell me more about your positive experiences with australian wine please

Richard Prowse
02-23-2010, 05:51 PM
thanks my friend richard. i think i understand it now.

now tell me more about your positive experiences with australian wine please
Haukey, my old friend, New Zealand supermarkets are full of Australian and NZ wine with a bit of South African, some Italian, sometimes a little German and a little French.
I generally buy NZ over Aussie, but for no real reason. It's just that I have a few favourite labels. I have a friend who was in the wine industry for years. You can read his thoughts here (http://nzwineguy.blogspot.com/).

Kennen sie einen gewissen Ullrich Hauke aus Essen ?
A young German friend who is studying in NZ wrote that.
He knows a guy called Haukey who might be related to you.

Anselm Hauke
02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Haukey, my old friend, New Zealand supermarkets are full of Australian and NZ wine with a bit of South African, some Italian, sometimes a little German and a little French.
I generally buy NZ over Aussie, but for no real reason. It's just that I have a few favourite labels. I have a friend who was in the wine industry for years. You can read his thoughts here (http://nzwineguy.blogspot.com/).

Kennen sie einen gewissen Ullrich Hauke aus Essen ?
A young German friend who is studying in NZ wrote that.
He knows a guy called Haukey who might be related to you.

richard, thanks for the link, i think i´ve seen that somewhere else before:rolleyes:

my favourite are spanish wines. do you find them in nz-supermarkets?

i don´t know ullrich hauke aus essen, but maybe he is a relative. i don´t know.

Oren Hudson
02-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Anselm and Richard - you have exceeded the limit of off topic postings for the grits thread. Your punishment shall consist of a slap on the wrist and a promise to be better persons and more importantly, better bassists. :)

Anselm Hauke
02-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Anslem and Richard - you have exceeded the limit of off topic postings for the grits thread. Your punishment shall consist of a slap on the wrist and a promise to be better persons and more importantly, better bassists. :)

oren, i am sorry. please forgive me!

being a better bassist is what i try everyday

ps: if you could write my name correct i would be more than happy,and promise to never post off topic here again :)

Richard Prowse
02-23-2010, 07:36 PM

ps: if you could write my name correct i would be more than happy,and promise to never post off topic here again :)
Oren,
I too am very sorry for getting off topic.
I think it was Ken's off topic stuff on the TalkBass Nonsense thread that first led me astray. Up until that point of time, I don't think I've ever been off topic on a thread.
Like Anselm (not that guy Anslem) I also try to be a better bassist every day.

Oren Hudson
02-23-2010, 10:18 PM

All is forgiven, I hope. :D

There was a scoop of grits that had fallen on my screen and that contributed to my hypo typo. Sorry Anselm. :o

Oren Hudson
02-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Oren,
I too am very sorry for getting off topic.
I think it was Ken's off topic stuff on the TalkBass Nonsense thread that first led me astray. Up until that point of time, I don't think I've ever been off topic on a thread.
Like Anselm (not that guy Anslem) I also try to be a better bassist every day.

I know - it's all Ken's fault. I think that maybe he had some grits on his screen too. And you're right, you've never posted an off topic post on any thread that I'm aware of. ;)

Oren Hudson
02-23-2010, 10:31 PM
I've just returned from a concert by the band Simple Folk. They are based in Asheville, in the mountains of North Carolina about 2 hours from me. Very impressive. Great 3 part harmonies and musicianship. The bass player played a 5 string Lakland through a small combo amp that I didn't recognize the name on. Pretty good bassist. Unusual playing area on the neck. I'd say that he played 80% of the tunes at, and mostly above the 9th fret and a lot at the double dots, very high up the neck. To each his own I guess. Didn't have to stretch his left arm much. :)

Richard Prowse
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Oren, please stop the edisodic posting!

Richard Prowse
02-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Ken once told me that, on a site like this, you post something then someone else replies.
He said that, if you keep posting, who are you talking to?

You see, I do listen to what Ken says. Lol!:D:D
...and sometimes I even use his favourite humour indicator.

Richard Prowse
02-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Simple Folk? Not a great name. Doesn't make them sound very bright.
There was once a trio Down here (NZ) called 'Opus 3'.
Some people referred to them as the 'hopeless three'.
Well, they weren't very good.

Oren Hudson
02-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Oren, please stop the edisodic posting!

Edisodic must be a native word for NZ and/or RP. Please explain. :confused:

Oren Hudson
02-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Ken once told me that, on a site like this, you post something then someone else replies.
He said that, if you keep posting, who are you talking to?

You see, I do listen to what Ken says. Lol!:D:D
...and sometimes I even use his favourite humour indicator.

Well my gritless friend, I think that in many cases, you are talking to your super-ego, Count My Bassie Notes. You dig?

Don't you mean listen to some of what Ken says? :D:D

Richard Prowse
02-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Well my gritless friend, I think that in many cases, you are talking to your super-ego, Count My Bassie Notes. You dig?

Don't you mean listen to some of what Ken says? :D:D
Okay, my friend with a taste for unconventional food, I admit that Ken made a mistake once (http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=33&page=3) - I'm talking about post #59.