PDA

View Full Version : Trapped..

Ken Smith
02-14-2007, 10:01 AM
We are getting slammed here with a Snow/Ice Storm. :( 2/3rds of the people didn't make it in today.:eek:

I'll take 90 degrees over this any day of the week. Only 2 of the 4 windows on my car will open. The other two including the drivers side are frozen shut. :(

Time to relax and get some office work done I guess.;) UPS wont be by today and not even the garbage got picked up this morning. My Plow guy didn't even make or to either my house or shop.:confused:

It's bad when the Plow guy can't even drive in the weather. Right, huh?:mad:

Additionally. Schools are closed, my sons Dental appointment canceled and my Orchestra Rehearsal canceled for this evening!

On top of that, by tradition I have to buy lunch for everyone that shows up to work for driving in this mess.

Brett Clark
02-14-2007, 09:27 PM
We got hit yesterday, the day I was supposed to pick up a Shen Willow from Nick Lloyd (it felt like Christmas was cancelled), then I had to cancel my bass lesson today and spend 3 hours behind my a snowblower clearing out my driveway. I got to do that right after I got back from dropping my Mom off at the airport for her trip to Florida. :mad:

Richard Prowse
02-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Sunny hear. No real problems.

Steve_M
02-25-2007, 02:32 AM
As I type, I'm in China - just landed in Beijing a few hours ago and am catching up on 8 hours worth of posts and emails here in Tianjin. Was it just me or was there a spam blizzard this weekend too? Loads of the stuff in all of my email accounts.

Normally the weather here can be bitterly cold if the winds come off the Mongolian Desert (along with lots of loess covering everything in a fine layer and turning any bright colours to a muted shade of grey brown). I've had the exposed skin on the back of my hands dessicate in about 8 mins in past visits when its been below freezing here. Man, the windchill was something else!

Ah well, hopefully the weather will hold out this week and then its back to the UK and work next Monday.

Tim Bishop
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Ken, if you ever make it down to Texas, look me up! You want 90 degree heat, not a problem.

Richard Prowse
03-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Still hot down under too.

Tim Bishop
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Not as hot as your posts though!

Richard Prowse
03-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Not as hot as your posts though!
Thanks Tim.

Steve_M
03-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Heh, I came back from China on Sunday after being out there for a week. The night before we were due to depart, it snowed heavily and they shut the expressway between Beijing and Tianjin. We were facing having to take a cross country route along "A roads" which was going to be a bit of a saga with all the construction work going on (can you say "quagmire"?)

Anyways, about a third of the way in, my other halves father calls to say he's had a chat with some contacts and they're prepared to let our Landcruiser onto the closed expressway so we can get to the airport on time. So we get on at the nearest on ramp, jump 6 rows of cars and trucks tailing back about 100m that are lined up waiting to get on, go through a special 'inspection vehicle' gate and we're on our way.

So picture this, its 9:30am in the morning and we've got one of the busiest expressways in northern China all to ourselves.

I had to video the moment.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/Tianjin%20seafood%20restaurant/th_MVI_0745.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/Tianjin%20seafood%20restaurant/?action=view&current=MVI_0745.flv)

stan haskins
03-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Are you guys getting this snow? It's kind of ridiculous, we're getting a couple of inches /hour up here.

********snow day*********

Ken Smith
03-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Are you guys getting this snow? It's kind of ridiculous, we're getting a couple of inches /hour up here.

********snow day*********

It's been raining mostly Ice since yesterday evening. Snow would be a blessing over the Ice fall.. About 2-3 inches of Ice crystals on the ground maybe more at the moment.:(

Richard Prowse
03-16-2007, 08:06 PM
a little rain and a bit cold in wainuiomata

Steve_M
03-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Its been beautiful here in London. Sunny and cloudless Spring day!

Richard Prowse
03-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Its been beautiful here in London. Sunny and cloudless Spring day!
Why are you wearing the green hat then?

Steve_M
03-18-2007, 03:34 AM
because I'm worth it. ;)

Richard Prowse
03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
because I'm worth it. ;)
Take off the green hat and you look like every other monkey!

Steve_M
03-19-2007, 03:51 AM
You sound disappointed...

Richard Prowse
03-19-2007, 04:35 AM
You sound disappointed...
Ah, I love you... you crazy big ape!

Steve_M
03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
you back....

...ya Mintylisious nicabocka funky mucka!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mintylisious+nicabocka+mucka

Ken Smith
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Had to chop some ice behind where I parked so I can get my bass in the car for rehearsal later. Of course, as soon as I drive off, I can kiss that spot goodbye for tomorrow.:(

stan haskins
03-19-2007, 02:13 PM
It's been raining mostly Ice since yesterday evening. Snow would be a blessing over the Ice fall.. About 2-3 inches of Ice crystals on the ground maybe more at the moment.:(

I guess I'm happier with the snow . . . had to shovel 18 inches on Saturday morning, though.

Now I'm in sunny Florida for my second funeral in as many weeks.

Steve_M
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
its snowing here in London too. Big pizza sized flakes...

...hmmmm, pizza flakes....

...anyway, its not settling because the ground is too warm still.

Gareth Hughes
03-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Enjoy the snow while you have it. At least you guys in the US have seasons there. I'm in Ireland, and the old saying is that we only have two seasons here - winter and July. All that forty shades of green crap? That just means it rains here all the time. And cold, damp countries do not make happy basses:mad:

Tim Bishop
03-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Had to chop some ice behind where I parked so I can get my bass in the car for rehearsal later. Of course, as soon as I drive off, I can kiss that spot goodbye for tomorrow.:(

Oh how I do not miss that! Too much snow and ice for salt Ken or would you just get buried in again from those wonderful snow dozers?

Ken Smith
03-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Oh how I do not miss that! Too much snow and ice for salt Ken or would you just get buried in again from those wonderful snow dozers?

No Salt would help this. It's piled up a foot or two from the Plows and we had about 6 inches of the stuff fall on us during a 2 day ice storm.

Tim Bishop
03-19-2007, 11:23 PM
No Salt would help this. It's piled up a foot or two from the Plows and we had about 6 inches of the stuff fall on us during a 2 day ice storm.

Hey, if you need a break away from all the ice and snow, my offer still stands. It is 70 degrees and gorgeous down here in Texas. Can't remember the last time I saw a snow plow. :D

Richard Prowse
03-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Got a bit of sunburn on my neck today.

Ken Smith
03-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Got a bit of sunburn on my neck today.

Hey, cut it out.:mad:

Can't we at least suffer in peace up here in the northeast without being teased how beautiful it is elsewhere?:(

Tim Bishop
03-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Hey, cut it out.:mad:

Can't we at least suffer in peace up here in the northeast without being teased how beautiful it is elsewhere?:(

Any relief in sight?

Richard Prowse
03-20-2007, 04:55 AM
Any relief in sight?
Hey Tim, further to your joke on the Down Here (NZ) thread, if you left out the word 'relief' you'd get "Any in sight?"

stan haskins
03-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Hey Tim, further to your joke on the Down Here (NZ) thread, if you left out the word 'relief' you'd get "Any in sight?"

wanker.

You said I could.

Richard Prowse
03-21-2007, 12:26 AM
wanker.

You said I could.
Stan, if you're cheeky, I might be forced to do the
"Stan Haskins Riding Through the Glen song" all over again.
You have been warned!

Richard Prowse
03-21-2007, 12:27 AM
And another thing, Stan, I've cut right back of physical self stimulation.
I have the papers from my doctor to prove it.

stan haskins
03-21-2007, 12:37 AM
And another thing, Stan, I've cut right back of physical self stimulation.
I have the papers from my doctor to prove it.

Huh?

I'd better lengthen my message to more than ten characters.

Richard Prowse
03-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Huh?

I'd better lengthen my message to more than ten characters.
Yes.

It's a trap for young players, that 'you need this many characters' thing.