PDA

View Full Version : Effects or no Effects?

Desmund Nichols
02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
When playing your Smith, do you prefer effects or not. I actually bought a nice MIDI effect system, in which i would have to install another pickup on my bass, but I dont want to alter my bass in anyway. And besides, the sound of the bass is too good all in itself.

Bob Faulkner
02-14-2007, 12:15 PM
I run through a Boss ME-50B effects board, but in truth I really only use the compressor at all. I use a little phaser/flange/chorus/delay from time to time, but for the vast majority of what I play I run clean as a whistle.

Kraig Gregory
02-19-2007, 04:09 AM
No effects. Sorry I guess I am just old school.

Kraig

Tim Bishop
02-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Effects can be nice depending on the piece of music, however, I also see effects being used to cover up sloppy playing.

Steve_M
03-19-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a Lexicon MPXG2 for my effects, its a swiss army knife. I tend to either use it for subtle effects like a stereo shimmer, or I go completely over the top using wet stereo hi's with distortion and delay effects and low dry signal paths.

Tim Bishop
03-19-2007, 08:41 PM
I have a Lexicon MPXG2 for my effects, its a swiss army knife. I tend to either use it for subtle effects like a stereo shimmer, or I go completely over the top using wet stereo hi's with distortion and delay effects and low dry signal paths.

I have all the EBS Pedals. While I don't use them often, the EBS Pedals are "the bomb" when it comes to bass effects pedals (i.e. construction, durability, quality, and sound). My top four favorite EBS Pedals are the "Multi Comp", "Octabass", UniChorus, and "DynaVerb".

Again, while I'm not a huge fan of effects on bass, occasionally (depending on what the piece of music needs or calls for) I will break them out. If you like effects on bass, I highly recommend these pedals. ;)

Brian Casey
04-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I played for over 20 years without effects of any kind, and was quite proud of that, for whatever reason. I just picked up a Rane compressor two years ago, but with the intent of protecting my speakers more than creating a 'sound'.

Recently, however, I started playing in a Zappa-Rep ensemble, at times with no guitar player (imagine that...), so I've had to fill the void. Rather than try a bazillion pedals I know nothing about and enter a learning curve that I didn't want to mess with, I got the Boss GT-8B. There was enough learning curve in that single unit to make me almost turn my back, but I've figured it out at least to the point that I can cover many specific sounds that there was no way I'd be able to otherwise. Scott Thunes, Zappa's studio and touring bassist during the last 10 years of his rock career, pretty much, made frequent and elaborate use of a phaser, and I fill out other songs or sections with chorus, distortion (when we have no guitar), Octaver and even some AutoWah.

On any gig outside of this group, though, I am completely Au Natural and still like it that way.

Martin Duarte
05-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Hi,

I agree with many of you, I prefer not to use anything.
But sometimes its necessary to use a little bit of reverb when soloing and a little bit of chorus when playing chords, it sounds fuller and less dry.

Take care,

Martin

Tim Pruitt
05-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I have a BassPOD XT Live, but have never used it while playing a service.

So no effects for me.

Dennis Michaels
08-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Live I use nothing.

Michael Stram
08-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Oh boy.....confession time.:o

The most I used at one time was 20? Yeah 20 pedals. you name it I had it. I was in my Boosty phase at the time...still kinda am.

what i can remember that i had

1. Overdrive Electronics valve grinder ( used by lee ronaldo )
2. Valve Drive i cant remember manufacturer, but its big and blue..not the blue tube pedal.
3. vintage Mutron 3 i got from Felton Crews
4. Roger mayer Voodoo vibe
5. EH Q-tron plus
6. EH Bass Balls
7. EH Bass Micro Synth
8. Snarling Dogs mold spore ring modulator
9. MXR flanger..vinatge unit no led
10. A/DA Flanger reissue

what the hell was wrong with me...:D

11. Hughes and kettner Tube factor (this ones really cool)
12. DOD envelope filter
13. Korg G5 bass synth
14. Colorsound wah / fuzz / phaser..I dont know if that was vintage or reissue
15. Boss Line selector pedal
16. Mutron 3+ reissue mutron..this one stinks though
17. Fulltone Deja Vibe
18. Prescription Electronics Experience Pedal
19. Vintage ibanez flanger (yellow one )

there were more...way more now that I think of it:o

I even got to use my dads rockmann or whatever it was called.

hey what do you want..i was 19 / 21 and had no responsibilities and to me money was just the middle man to all the crap i wanted.:D

ed hauser
09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
sometimes ill split the signal and run the low freqs dry (compressed 2-3.1)and put just a little polish on the top end(compressed 3.1). for full range ill just use a little verb or maybe a splash of chorus(for slapping) or octaver (signal compressed 3-4.1).

David Powell
09-25-2008, 12:00 PM
When playing your Smith, do you prefer effects or not. I actually bought a nice MIDI effect system, in which i would have to install another pickup on my bass, but I dont want to alter my bass in anyway. And besides, the sound of the bass is too good all in itself.

Pretty much sums up my approach. Best effect is a great bass, clean amp, and good right hand technique. If you get bored with your sound, try a new right hand method, like tapping on the FB, or anything that you haven't done yet. You'll be amazed at how many people hear you and think you are running a pedal. I do a mean phase shifter just by varying where I pluck up and down the string. Do it in a constant motion pattern over an ostenato and it sounds just like a phase shifter. And I can get a good "delay" with my fingers and muting between the hits also, just back off on the attack sequentially and shorten the interval. It's great to practice this stuff and a Smith bass responds really well to nuanced right hand work.

ed hauser
09-29-2008, 10:58 AM
yea i agree the sound is great just as it is. but if you are forced to be playing some covers i dont think any good hand technique is gonna emulate the phase in "stranglehold" or the slap back in "rock on" or even the Bootsy sound in "groove is in the heart" i mean i get a real sweet "muted accoustic" sound by first hitting the string with my right hand ring finger then almost instantly with the middle digit to accentuate (depending where on the neck i play), but mute it ala. "come to my window" so while i feel they have their time and place in music, i see the devices almost becoming a playing form in and of themselves. setting up some 8 second repeat pattern (sometimes using 2 machines, one having vocals yelled over it for use durring my solos) and then playing over it, ive been doing that for 15 years before i heard others doing it.
playing well and using no effects can be great! playing well and using some sparsley but well placed effects can make that same passage stunning! :cool: