PDA

View Full Version : Latin Anyone?

Gerry Sivers
06-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Hola everyone, I'm a big fan of Latin styles! My favorite Latin player to date is Oscar Stagnaro. I've been through "The Latin Bass Book" and "Afro Cuban Slap Bass Lines". I'm not the greatest slapper but wish to expand my knowledge of the slap style in Latin music so any material suggestions would be helpfull. I would also like to get deeper into Latin jazz but have a hard time keeping track of time signature changes. I'm willing to put the time and effort in but sadly, I don't read music well, which means I don't read. I know I must work on this to be proficient but my ultimate goal is to be able to improvise even if I play from memory. Make sense?
Thanks guys.

Ken Smith
06-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Hola everyone, I'm a big fan of Latin styles! My favorite Latin player to date is Oscar Stagnaro. I've been through "The Latin Bass Book" and "Afro Cuban Slap Bass Lines". I'm not the greatest slapper but wish to expand my knowledge of the slap style in Latin music so any material suggestions would be helpful. I would also like to get deeper into Latin jazz but have a hard time keeping track of time signature changes. I'm willing to put the time and effort in but sadly, I don't read music well, which means I don't read. I know I must work on this to be proficient but my ultimate goal is to be able to improvise even if I play from memory. Make sense?
Thanks guys.

Latin Slap? Ouch?.. That's when a Spanish mom with wet hands from doing the dishes turns and slap you in the face... ouchhh burns...

Boom bim.. boom bum.. That's all you need to learn.. 2 1/2 - 4.. 2 1/2 - 4 .. That's where the notes lay. Learn the old stuff first from Cachao and up to Bobby Rodriguez and then Andy Gonzalez.. Play like them and then you can write your own book.. Then hit Sal Cuevas and Ruben Rodriguez, the new breed.. Or, newer..(Alex Moran maybe?) The Slap thing is not Latin regardless of them using it now. It just worked it's way in there to keep the young players from falling asleep playing Boom bim.. boom bum.. ;)

Google those names.. These are just a few out of the many but the 'few and the mighty' if I may add..

Ken McKay
06-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Darn I thought we were going to be speaking latin...mea culpa...vado per pacis...magnus sanus!

Tim Bishop
06-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Or, newer..(Alen Moran maybe?) That would be Alex Moran. :)

Ken Smith
06-30-2009, 03:55 PM
That would be Alex Moran. :)

Yes, Alex. It was a typo.. He has been here so I know his name well.. Thanks for pointing that out.. fixed..;)

Gerry Sivers
06-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Nice rim shot Ken! There are styles such as Afro-Cuban and Timba, which I'm sure you know can envolve slap style. I like funk slap style but it is the first genre peole go to when they slap. There's nothing wrong with that mind you, I just want to be good at something a little different.
Ken, I will look up the artists mentioned, old and new. In fact, I enjoyed and often go back to Ruben Rodriguezs' clinic on bass player tv.
Anyone out there using a Smith for Latin styles? Do they suit the genre or do we keep our old P basses for that? Mind you, I have never played a Smith. The only one I have ever seen in person was here in NJ at DML studios. I was told it belongs to the Bass player named Jerry from the Fugees.
Anyway, my first one should be here by Friday and it's making the week creep by!

Tim Bishop
06-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Anyone out there using a Smith for Latin styles? Do they suit the genre or do we keep our old P basses for that?
A Smith for "Latin styles"? Yes. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. ;)

Tim Bishop
06-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Anyway, my first one should be here by Friday and it's making the week creep by!
Your first what? Smith bass?

Gerry Sivers
06-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Your first what? Smith bass?
Yep, my first Smith bass will be a BSRMW5.

Tim Bishop
07-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Yep, my first Smith bass will be a BSRMW5.Cool! You should post a pic when you get it. :)

Gerry Sivers
07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Cool! You should post a pic when you get it. :)
I sure will! I know you all have seen them before but I feel like that guy in "Full Metal Jacket"....."This is my Ken Smith Bass! There are many like it but this one is mine"....ect.:D

Tim Bishop
07-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I sure will! I know you all have seen them before Na, we all like seeing the pics. I hope it has arrived safely to you. :)

Ruben Rodriguez
09-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Anyone out there using a Smith for Latin styles?

Yep, I do!!! That would be a BSR GN5 (Ken, hope this is right!?!), sweet and even sounding bass. There are a couple of setting I like, one is just the neck pickup, nice fat sound w/ bite. I sometimes back off on the mids and boost the bass almost all the way, but that's me. Regards to all...

Tim Bishop
09-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Anyone out there using a Smith for Latin styles?

Yep, I do!!! That would be a BSR GN5 (Ken, hope this is right!?!), sweet and even sounding bass. There are a couple of setting I like, one is just the neck pickup, nice fat sound w/ bite. I sometimes back off on the mids and boost the bass almost all the way, but that's me. Regards to all...Oh yeah, can't think of a better bass for this genre of music. Doesn't matter the model Smith; I've used them all.

I like the neck P/U as well Ruben and for the same reasons. On my Smiths, with the S/P Switches, I have both switches set Up, Volume at maximum, Bass Control on about 2:00, Mid at about 2:00 and Treble at about 2:00. My 5GN's (with or w/o the S/P Switches) I generally set about the same.

What amplification set-up do you use?

Ruben Rodriguez
02-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow it seems I haven't been around these here parts for a minute. Tim sorry for the delay. Anyways, I use Aguilar amps, the AG 500SC and 2 separate 1X12 cabs. I just started using nickel strings and its now even smoother sounding, a fine bass indeed.

Regards,
RR
www.facebook.com/RubenRodriguezBass (http://www.facebook.com/RubenRodriguezBass)

Tim Bishop
02-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I suspect you are happy with that set-up. :) The 2 x 12's probably cut nicely in the mix as well. Not familiar with that equipment, but have heard good things. Using the nickels and getting a smoother sound also makes sense.