PDA

View Full Version : Arco Issue

Rick Auvil
07-02-2009, 03:33 PM
The hair on my bow just does not seem to grab the string the way I would like. I've tried, Carlsson's, Pop's, Pirastro rosins with little satisfaction. Any ideas out there? What do I need to do to get a better feel form the bow?

Set-up #1 - Christopher Busetto 304 - Helicore hybrids
Set - up #2 - Shen SB 180 - Helicore orchestras (set-up by Nick Lloyd)

Ken Smith
07-02-2009, 03:41 PM
The hair on my bow just does not seem to grab the string the way I would like. I've tried, Carlsson's, Pop's, Pirastro rosins with little satisfaction. Any ideas out there? What do I need to do to get a better feel form the bow?

Set-up #1 - Christopher Busetto 304 - Helicore hybrids
Set - up #2 - Shen SB 180 - Helicore orchestras (set-up by Nick Lloyd)

Are you near Pittsburgh? Try calling Mike Magee (http://www.michaelfmagee.com/). I know he's good at this stuff and does some of the PSO basses there. Tell Mike I sent you.

Depending on what srting works good on your bass and the age of your bow hair as well as the quality of the hair and quality of your bow, he can help guide you. The Strings you use may be the main problem but it all has to be in harmony. Nick Lloyd is also a good choice as well but 1 on 1 is the best when you need something adjusted. Distance is sometimes the problem in getting to a shop.

Rick Auvil
07-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks Ken, I will call him when I get a chance - I'm about 40 minutes from Pittsburgh, so that should help.