PDA

View Full Version : Oliv Height

Calvin Marks
07-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Just got a FREE set of Olivs from my old teacher, kind of a goodbye gift. Does anyone know roughly how high the strings should be for these strings?

For steel my set-up is:

G-6.5
D-8
A-9
E-10

Thanks!

Ken Smith
07-25-2009, 03:05 AM
Just got a FREE set of Olivs from my old teacher, kind of a goodbye gift. Does anyone know roughly how high the strings should be for these strings?

For steel my set-up is:

G-6.5
D-8
A-9
E-10

Thanks!

You play 6.5-10mm for solo? wow.. that is high in my book..

Calvin, my Gs average 3-5mm and the Ex 7-9mm at most.. 4-8mm being my average for Orchestra. For solo, I like lower but I can even do Orchestra at that height.

Once I had Oliv's on my Martini. I made a thread on TB called Oliv Martini when I had them. I did La Boheme with this set-up but to get any decent pizz out of the Oliv E, I raise the adjusters about 2 full cranks around. This would be about my height for gut strings which Oliv's are actually but with a thin metal wrap around the gut.

Shortly after that concert, I took them off. A year or so later I used an Oliv G/D, Eudoxa A/E combination and that to me was the best for bowing and pizz using wrapped guts. The full Oliv set was the fattest thing I had ever heard. The Martini is quite a dark sounding bass and punchy as well. I would welcome that set again if doing the same opera but right now the BelCantos seem to work best all around on that bass.

6.5-10mm for steel? That sounds to me more like an average height for orchestra. I guess playing every day like yourself that feels normal. It takes a special bass and fingerboard to play 3-7mm without buzzing. Of course, I have to be careful how I play as well. Playing Gut strings all thru high school I've learned to draw the bow more than press it into the strings. Perhaps that has helped me with steel playing as well.

My suggestion would be try the same height and raise the bridge adjusters as needed. One note of caution. Thicker strings like the Olivs require bigger slots in the bridge and nut. Otherwise, you could easily damage the strings putting them on. Keep checking your bridge as well when re-stringing. The bridge tends to pull forward so correct it as needed. The Olivs take time to come to pitch and stay there. You will be tuning them for a good week and then a few times a day when they settle in as well.

Joel Larsson
07-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Gongrats on the free set there, Calvin. I once did the Oliv/Eudoxa setup, and it rocked. Huge, fat sound. Doesn't work for solo playing, though.

I still have the same string height as when I played with those wrapped guts. My steel set-up is on the high side, and I've thought about cutting down the bridge some, but I like the extra power, and it doesn't really bother me. If your string height is already on the high side, chances are that there won't be any problems at all.

When I got the guts, I had to make two of the holes in the tailpiece bigger. That was quite a chore, as I was in a hurry, and I did get some marks in the table. (Can't see them any more, though.) And as Ken says, they need time to settle. Someone please correct me in time now if I'm wrong, but I found that it didn't hurt to tune them one half note higher in the beginning, to save some time. Of course, if you'd do that with a properly stretched out string, you're likely to ruin it forever, so some caution is adviced.

Also, yes, they might require a different bow approach, as Ken points out. But one that will most likely only be of benefit to you, at least that's my experience. You'll have to adjust to the string, rather than force it to do what you want... but you'll notice all about that.

Calvin Marks
07-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi, thanks for all the input. They're definietly incredible strings...Perfect thick pizz and orchestra sound. I miss not being able to play in TP but these strings make my instrument sound like butter so they're a keeper. I've used Eudoxa's before. These have a much warmer and slightly thicker sound in my opinion. The E string is very large but I'm used to it having played on a lot of unwrapped gut for historical playing...Typically my G would be 2.2mm, D 2.9, and then the A and E would be wrapped Eudoxa's.

Joel Larsson
07-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Yeah, if I had had the luxury of owning two proper instruments, I'd definitely string one of them with wrapped gut. Nice, loud orchestral sound. For a while there I tried the steel GD/gut AE mix but it's less troublesome with the Bel's all over. You should try to get a gig in Berlin someday, though. Sonore makes wrapped gut that works perfectly all over... ;)

Calvin Marks
07-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah, if I had had the luxury of owning two proper instruments, I'd definitely string one of them with wrapped gut. Nice, loud orchestral sound. For a while there I tried the steel GD/gut AE mix but it's less troublesome with the Bel's all over. You should try to get a gig in Berlin someday, though. Sonore makes wrapped gut that works perfectly all over... ;)

Are people actually using Sonores? I contacted the maker for information and he sent me a pair of strings with a bill. I didn't even ask for strings, nor could I afford $800.00 so I sent them back.

I've heard a few people here use them and they sound like Dominants to my ear. Not a very warm, typical gut sound. Many overtones when playing off the string, and fairly scratchy...which I dislike.

Joel Larsson
07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Yes. And you'll get what you want; blame the buyer. :cool:

Calvin Marks
07-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Yes. And you'll get what you want; blame the buyer. :cool:

Well, what's the point of paying 800 dollars for a gut string that isn't made in the true authentic fashion.

Companies like Sofracob and Dlugolecki don't make strings to order. If you want REAL, FINE quality custom gut stings then you should check out Aquila in Italy (not USA), or Kurshner in Germany. Pirastro Chorda is not an authentic gut string despite what they claim.

Calvin Marks
08-13-2009, 04:54 PM
You play 6.5-10mm for solo? wow.. that is high in my book..

Calvin, my Gs average 3-5mm and the Ex 7-9mm at most.. 4-8mm being my average for Orchestra. For solo, I like lower but I can even do Orchestra at that height.

4mm for Orchestra..Wow! Can you still produce a double forte on the G string with high bow pressure and have the string sound well?

Ken Smith
08-13-2009, 07:01 PM
4mm for Orchestra..Wow! Can you still produce a double forte on the G string with high bow pressure and have the string sound well?

Depends.. I draw the sound outwards more then press and choke the notes.. I am usually heard above most in the section if not all. The quality and power of my bass allows me to get away with that. Listen to the recording of the NY Phil, Beeth 9th.. the bass res... There is a buzz on the G that I think is Schaeffer. He didn't like the strings high either.

Come over and play my basses. They work pretty well. With most basses you need 5-6mm minimum and have to force the sound. Many of the better old basses actually play YOU!.. ;)

Calvin Marks
08-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Depends.. I draw the sound outwards more then press and choke the notes.. I am usually heard above most in the section if not all. The quality and power of my bass allows me to get away with that. Listen to the recording of the NY Phil, Beeth 9th.. the bass res... There is a buzz on the G that I think is Schaeffer. He didn't like the strings high either.

Come over and play my basses. They work pretty well. With most basses you need 5-6mm minimum and have to force the sound. Many of the better old basses actually play YOU!.. ;)

In Russia, bass plays you.

john feeney
08-23-2009, 04:09 PM
a noticeable bit higher than a pencil diameter- make sure you widen the bridge& nut grooves to accommodate the thicker strings and it's a good idea to tune them down atleast 1/4 tone when done playing so they don't stretch out.

Arnold Schnitzer
08-23-2009, 05:14 PM
John, great to see you here. Guys, John is one of the greats!

Calvin Marks
08-26-2009, 02:58 PM
John, great to see you here. Guys, John is one of the greats!

Amen to that!

john feeney
09-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi Arnold... I'm glad to be hooking up with this page. My cd of world premiere Dragonetti chamber music should be available on cdbaby any time now. For a taste try youtube- dragonetti quintets. We just gave a concert last Saturday and the audience response was fantastic- it's really great and unique music. Cheers, John

Anselm Hauke
09-02-2009, 10:43 AM
For a taste try youtube- dragonetti quintets.
i am just listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqpGS_HmYtw while typing this.
compliment john!

Calvin Marks
09-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Another Feeney Tribute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPbL7dygBug&feature=related

Nathan Parker
09-03-2009, 10:25 AM
I liked that video. The 3 cellists had very contrasting demeanor while playing. Sorry for the derail.