PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from CT

Benton Ridgeway
08-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I have been reading the many informative post on this forum and need to get involved. I play bass in a variety of different styles. I play in a Jamband Fourpeace and enjoy the inprov and music with my friends. I also work with Peter Ferreira a Classical violinist. My wife is also A talented singer and songwriter that I can best descibe as New age. My real gig is as a music teacher in a urban public school. I studied double bass with Robert Black at uconn.

I play both upright and Bass guitar. I seen the practice more on the upright but gig with the electric. What brings me to this forum is my passion for building and reapairing things. I have built speaker cabs and bikes. I ejoy reparing thing such as guitars, tube amps, and all sorts of broken music gear. (after recent a car wreck I have some more repairs speakers mic drum hardware) I have also done some instrument restorations (Gretch 6118, cello, school violins) and am begining a new one.

Good to meet all of you.
Ben

Oren Hudson
08-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Ben. Glad you've decided to join in. I need all of the help that I can get with some of the "characters" on here, something you probably already know if you've peaked at some of the wacko threads that some of us are involved in. When you play electric bass guitar, what does your rig consist of? And, of course, I would be remiss if I didn't ask you if you've had the pleasure of eating grits, a real Southern treat. :)

Richard Prowse
08-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Oren, you'll love this. I went to see a Cajun band in Wellington this afternoon called "Grits & Gumbo". True! The leader of the band wants to jam with me - he's a guy from the southern states of the US of A. He liked my playing when he heard me a few weeks ago. He doesn't remember that I once turned up at his wife's restaurant looking for a gig and he told me to 'sod off'! Ah, the times they are a changin'!

Richard Prowse
08-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Oh, sorry, how rude of me! Hi, Benton.

Benton Ridgeway
08-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Nice to fit right in. I don't think I've had those grits you keep carrying on about. I like pancakes and real maple syrup.

So my rig:
Basses

Modulus Q5 with EMG's
Fender Jazz Bass Special
Gibson Victory Artist

into my choice of amps:

Sunn 300T
Traynor YBA1
SWR Studio 220

and speakers:

SWR Big Bertha
EV TL 606
EV TL 806

I like to mix and match the heads and cabs depending on the gig. The Sunn into the big bertha is perfect for filling the bar with bass. I often use the Traynor for its 2 channels. The SWR is the most portable.

Wish I had pics.
Peace

Oren Hudson
08-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Oren, you'll love this. I went to see a Cajun band in Wellington this afternoon called "Grits & Gumbo". True! The leader of the band wants to jam with me - he's a guy from the southern states of the US of A. He liked my playing when he heard me a few weeks ago. He doesn't remember that I once turned up at his wife's restaurant looking for a gig and he told me to 'sod off'! Ah, the times they are a changin'!

That's some more story, my friend Richard, and you're right, I DO love it. Please explain "sod off' since it's not a Southern thing.

Oren Hudson
08-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Nice to fit right in. I don't think I've had those grits you keep carrying on about. I like pancakes and real maple syrup.

So my rig:
Basses

Modulus Q5 with EMG's
Fender Jazz Bass Special
Gibson Victory Artist

into my choice of amps:

Sunn 300T
Traynor YBA1
SWR Studio 220

and speakers:

SWR Big Bertha
EV TL 606
EV TL 806

I like to mix and match the heads and cabs depending on the gig. The Sunn into the big bertha is perfect for filling the bar with bass. I often use the Traynor for its 2 channels. The SWR is the most portable.

Wish I had pics.
Peace

Cool list. I have some Sunn stuff that I'm fond of too. A Coliseum 300 head, 2 MV-18 folded horn cabs with the Vegas and a newer 300 watt 2-15 cab. I also briefly had a 2-15 Traynor in the late 70s, but ended up selling it and and getting a '68 Kustom tuck and roll K200B head and matching 2-15 cab with JBL D140Fs.

I'm not sure about your pix problems, but I can can't get any to post for me on this forum. In some earlier threads, I've referenced a site (actually a part of The unofficial Acoustic Control site) where I have many photos posted.

Pancakes and real maple syrup are good too, especially if you add a side of grits! :)

Richard Prowse
08-02-2009, 11:12 PM
That's some more story, my friend Richard, and you're right, I DO love it. Please explain "sod off' since it's not a Southern thing.
"Sod off" lies somewhere between "go away" and "**c* off". In any case, I went away, in order to follow his instruction - as one does.

Benton Ridgeway
08-03-2009, 09:30 AM
My problem with the pics is that I havn't taken them. But a have a upcoming project that I will be sure to post some pics.

Dave Martin
08-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Cool list. I have some Sunn stuff that I'm fond of too. A Coliseum 300 head, 2 MV-18 folded horn cabs with the Vegas and a newer 300 watt 2-15 cab. I also briefly had a 2-15 Traynor in the late 70s, but ended up selling it and and getting a '68 Kustom tuck and roll K200B head and matching 2-15 cab with JBL D140Fs.

Holy cow - I've owned most of those amps - the Kustom 200, the Coliseum 300 (with two front loaded 18" cabinets) and the Vega cabinets. Then I got bigger for a while and now I'm a big fan of small amps (as long as I'm carrying them).

But I have to say that as long as there's either cartage or rental amps, nothing touches an SVT for rock and roll!

Oren Hudson
08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
But I have to say that as long as there's either cartage or rental amps, nothing touches an SVT for rock and roll!

Hey Dave, I don't disagree with you. In fact, I'm glad you mentioned the SVT. I can tell you about mine without bragging (too much.) It's my most recent acquisition and I've had it nearly a year. It's an early '73 rig that includes the head and 2 of the square back cabs, some of the last before the introduction of the slant back. I bought them from the original owner and he bought the whole group together. He has played with a few known acts including Orleans, Pete Seeger and Peter Frampton. It IS major Rock and Roll! :)

Dave Martin
08-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey Dave, I don't disagree with you. In fact, I'm glad you mentioned the SVT. I can tell you about mine without bragging (too much.) It's my most recent acquisition and I've had it nearly a year. It's an early '73 rig that includes the head and 2 of the square back cabs, some of the last before the introduction of the slant back. I bought them from the original owner and he bought the whole group together. He has played with a few known acts including Orleans, Pete Seeger and Peter Frampton. It IS major Rock and Roll! :)

Yikes! I DO hope that you don't try and carry it out on gigs by yourself! There's the other issue, of course. I was in Whittier, Ca on Saturday, and the backline company provided an SVT. I set it to where I was comfortable with the sound, but after the first song of the soundcheck the entire horn section threatened me with death or dismemberment if I didn't turn it WAY down. :)

Oren Hudson
08-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Yikes! I DO hope that you don't try and carry it out on gigs by yourself! There's the other issue, of course. I was in Whittier, Ca on Saturday, and the backline company provided an SVT. I set it to where I was comfortable with the sound, but after the first song of the soundcheck the entire horn section threatened me with death or dismemberment if I didn't turn it WAY down. :)

Well Dave, I haven't used it on a gig yet. One of these days maybe. Even with the usage it's seen, the dude took good care of it and it's in collector condition. He said he'd leave one cab at practice and use the other one for gigs. I do use all of my stuff from time to time though. Unfortunately, at nearly 58, the pains of lifting heavy stuff by myself are often significant. I did unload the rig out of my Suburban when I got it home. (Couldn't ask Donna - see didn't know that I got it.) I've since rolled the cabs to my band trailer for temporary storage. With anything else, I'd be asking for help from 1 or 2 other folks. :)

I love the Whittier story! Wimpy horn players. ;) You should have threatened them with turning it to 5 and aim it directly at them!