PDA

View Full Version : Pick up height adjustment ???

Fernando Vergara
08-13-2009, 10:31 PM
What is the correct height for Smith pick-ups?? I have my action set up to med or just a little higher which is how i like it for my style of playing.

Mine seemed a little low on my 92 BT 5 but as soon as i raised them up a little the bass came alive.

Should the volume of the front pick-up be even with the back pick up?

Tim Bishop
08-14-2009, 01:04 AM
What is the correct height for Smith pick-ups?? I have my action set up to med or just a little higher which is how i like it for my style of playing.

Mine seemed a little low on my 92 BT 5 but as soon as i raised them up a little the bass came alive.

Should the volume of the front pick-up be even with the back pick up?There is no one-and-only set adjustment for every player. Not everyone plays the same. That is something only you can determine.

I can tell you exactly how I set my basses up and also tell you that many players like my set-up's, however and again, not everyone plays with the intensity/agressiveness as I play. So, really, that determination should be made by each and every player.

I find too often, that many players will criticize an instrument for it's "lack of quality" because they don't know how to properly set it up. This is unfortunate, particularly when it's not the instrument that is the problem but the lack of understanding of the potential within the instrument.

Great players can make an improperly set-up instrument sound good. Conversely, great players can make a properly set-up instrument sound great.

Fernando Vergara
08-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Tim,,I agree that it varies with every player BUT i am sure that Ken has a blue print as to how high or low he set up his pick-ups. Right??

Tim Bishop
08-14-2009, 08:05 PM
...BUT i am sure that Ken has a blue print as to how high or low he set up his pick-ups. Right??I doubt there's a "blue print", however, that would be a question Ken would have to answer. Given the number of set-up's Ken has done, I suspect he has it down by feel and sight at this point. I do know he is very consistent with his set-ups.

Ken Smith
08-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Tim,,I agree that it varies with every player BUT i am sure that Ken has a blue print as to how high or low he set up his pick-ups. Right??
I read the mail everyday but blueprints hurt my eyes..:eek:

I mainly go by feel. If you measure 100 basses of ours, you will see some range between them and an average set for each adjustment. What those numbers are I don't know. It's right when it's right and measuring would make no sense to me personally unless I am writing a book about it.

Fernando Vergara
08-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Ken,,dont get exited now:eek:,,,,,,What i was refering to was a guide NOT an actual blueprint.

But i get the message that you do it all by feel,,,,,

Thanks for the wonderful info,,