PDA

View Full Version : shilak

Desmund Nichols
02-16-2007, 10:22 PM
How much would it cost to get my bass Shilak? I got a Black Tiger 5, but how much would it cost to get that shiny coat on my bass?

Ken Smith
02-16-2007, 10:27 PM
How much would it cost to get my bass Shilak? I got a Black Tiger 5, but how much would it cost to get that shiny coat on my bass?

Shellac is used in the process already on your Bass to seal the wood before the varnish is applied and after it has been oiled several coats. The catalyzed Lacquer is very time consuming and not offered except on the Elite models. The rub outs are 100% by hand and we charge by the hour. Actually, it is cheaper to buy the more expensive models than buy low lower and pay for upgrades. This should be something one asks before the purchase is made.

Desmund Nichols
02-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Dag, oh well. Does lacquer alter the sound of the bass?

Tim Bishop
03-08-2007, 12:52 AM
I own a 5GN that somehow slipped through the process and got sprayed. It is a maple F&B with a mahogany core. My observation is this: I've compared other 5GN's I've owned with this one and the one that got sprayed, for whatever reason, is one of my favorite 5GN's. Very tight lows, mids and highs. Maybe a fluke? I don't know, but it is killer!

Desmund Nichols
09-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Is it fair to say that shellac makes the sound better? I'm considering getting shellac on my next bass, but I'm still indecisive.

Ken Smith
09-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Is it fair to say that shellac makes the sound better? I'm considering getting shellac on my next bass, but I'm still indecisive.

You mean catalyzed lacquer, Not Shellac. That would be an Elite model.

Desmund Nichols
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
You mean catalyzed lacquer, Not Shellac. That would be an Elite model.

Yes, does the Elite models have a superior tone. I'm about 50% saved up for a new 6 string. I'm almost ready and I want to know exactly what I want when I'm ready to order.