PDA

View Full Version : string install question

Calvin Marks
08-27-2009, 11:25 PM
With Pirastro strings, think original flexocore or flat-chrome - they come with these white felt rings that are already threaded through the string and touching the "balls". Do you install these? I always take them off because I was told they "mute" the sound of the strings. Perhaps with a gut-core string like Oliv it would be good to have the white felt on?

Thanks.

Ken Smith
08-27-2009, 11:37 PM
With Pirastro strings, think original flexocore or flat-chrome - they come with these white felt rings that are already threaded through the string and touching the "balls". Do you install these? I always take them off because I was told they "mute" the sound of the strings. Perhaps with a gut-core string like Oliv it would be good to have the white felt on?

Thanks.

I think not even dog ears could hear that difference. This is the after length under the bridge, under the tailpiece under the tailpiece saddle. Mutes the sound? When you hold the bass, YOU mute the sound. The little Felt at the ball? There is probably more dust, dirt and grease mass in and on your bass than the size of those little pieces that if anything, protect your tailpiece from wear over time.

If those little felt pieces mute your bass, then you need a better bass.

Calvin Marks
08-28-2009, 12:07 AM
If those little felt pieces mute your bass, then you need a better bass.

I was waiting for a comment like that, why am I not surprised?

Ken Smith
08-28-2009, 12:39 AM
I was waiting for a comment like that, why am I not surprised?

You asked!.. That's why you weren't surprised.. Any more trick questions up your sleeve?

Calvin Marks
08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Well, I don't know if the felt pieces have muted my bass, because I never install them, on any bass. I was just curious if you're supposed to install them or not - like if it's supposed to protect the balls of the strings or not.

Ken Smith
08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Well, I don't know if the felt pieces have muted my bass, because I never install them, on any bass. I was just curious if you're supposed to install them or not - like if it's supposed to protect the balls of the strings or not.

Why do you think they put them there?

Richard Prowse
08-28-2009, 05:18 PM
To be used? I've used strings with those felts, in the past, and the strings certainly didn't sound muted. The two times I've had strings with felts, the balls were smaller so I assumed that the felts would give them a snug fit.

Ken Smith
08-28-2009, 05:50 PM
To be used? I've used strings with those felts, in the past, and the strings certainly didn't sound muted. The two times I've had strings with felts, the balls were smaller so I assumed that the felts would give them a snug fit.

You think the Felt is an aide for small balls?:eek:

Richard Prowse
08-28-2009, 06:51 PM
You think the Felt is an aide for small balls?:eek:
In the right hands any size will benefit.

Richard Prowse
08-28-2009, 06:58 PM
In the right hands any size will benefit.
Hey Ken, I can't believe we're trading innuendos!
Shouldn't we save that for the bull pit?

Ken Smith
08-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey Ken, I can't believe we're trading innuendos!
Shouldn't we save that for the bull pit?

Trading innuendos? Is that like trading 4s down under?

Richard Prowse
08-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Is that like trading 4s down under?
4s down under? Ah, Ken, sometimes you are very naughty!:eek:

Ken Smith
08-29-2009, 01:39 AM
4s down under? Ah, Ken, sometimes you are very naughty!:eek:

I meant in NZ you silly joker.. lol :D

Richard Prowse
08-29-2009, 01:51 AM
I meant in NZ you silly joker.. lol :D
We call him John Thomas Down here (NZ)...
Nudge, nudge. Know what I mean?

Richard Prowse
08-29-2009, 01:57 AM
Nay, but seriously folks...
What do you call a man with three buttocks?
Henry.
Why?
Because that's his name.

Richard Prowse
08-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Ken, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you, my friend, will see
You've got a friend in me
(you've got a friend in me)