PDA

View Full Version : Double Bass versus Bass Guitar.

Richard Prowse
08-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Well, to kick this off, double basses are bigger.

Richard Prowse
08-28-2009, 05:09 PM
A contrary view: bass guitars are easier to carry around.

Richard Prowse
08-28-2009, 08:41 PM
They don't make Bel Canto strings for bass guitar.

Richard Prowse
08-28-2009, 08:43 PM
A contrary view: When Oren Hudson is in his pyjamas, he chooses to play a bass guitar and not a double bass.

Richard Prowse
08-28-2009, 08:46 PM
When people come to your house and there's a bass standing the corner, they are impressed because they think someone who lives here plays the cello.

Richard Prowse
08-28-2009, 08:48 PM
A contrary view: When women see a bass guitarist playing in a band, they think he's a guitar player and they become interested in him.

Oren Hudson
08-28-2009, 10:47 PM
A contrary view: When Oren Hudson is in his pyjamas, he chooses to play a bass guitar and not a double bass.

Simply stated, since I've been eating so many grits, my belly gets in the way of the double bass while sitting down on Christmas morning in the sun room in Gastonia, NC in the heart of Dixie of The South, while the bass guitar is just a bit smaller and therefore easier to fit on my lap. :D

Joel Larsson
08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Good point there, Oren. When the belly is full, it chokes the vibrations of the DB! Now here's one that's got to stay FIT!! :eek:

Ken Smith
08-29-2009, 03:25 PM
First off, I can't believe I'm getting dragged in to this thread.. Self inflicted I might add.. lol

Ok, you can't play any other bass in a Symphony Orchestra other than the bowed Double bass, with some pizz when indicated.

For some parts of the music business or most actually, it is one or the other type bass as it fits. Like wearing a bathing suit or dress suit? You can't dive in a pool with a suit and tie and you can't play an Orchestra concert in the bass section (or any other section) wearing a bathing suit!:p

Richard Prowse
08-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Ken, my friend, you are funnier than a Mesopotamiam bull fighter!:rolleyes:
Many years ago I helped out by playing double bass in a combined secondary schools youth orchestra - I was teaching somewhere or other and they were short of basses. We performed in the Michael Fowler Centre, which is where the symphony orchestra plays in Wellington - a posh venue! Ken, you won't believe this, sitting behind the basses was a kid with a bass guitar, amp et al, playing along. :eek:
I guess he ignored the 'arco' instructions on his part. :rolleyes:

Richard Prowse
08-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Double bass is bigger. What? Have I said that before?
Okay then, double bass can be bowed to sound like an earthquake.

Richard Prowse
08-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Bass guitar players have their own section on Ken's Corner.

Ken Smith
08-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Bass guitar players have their own section on Ken's Corner.

So do Double Basses..;)

Richard Prowse
08-31-2009, 07:11 PM
So do Double Basses..;)
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist that answer, birthday boy!:D

Ken Smith
08-31-2009, 07:48 PM
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist that answer, birthday boy!:D

Rich buddy, it's only 8/31 here.. I can't open the presents 'till mornin'..:(

Richard Prowse
08-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Rich buddy, it's only 8/31 here.. I can't open the presents 'till mornin'..:(
Dammit! (yankee expression) I forgot we're a day ahead Down here (NZ).
Well, at least I got in first with the birthday greetings!

Better post something to keep on topic.
Um, double basses have a spike.

Ken Smith
08-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Dammit! (yankee expression) I forgot we're a day ahead Down here (NZ).
Well, at least I got in first with the birthday greetings!

Better post something to keep on topic.
Um, double basses have a spike.

Oh yes of course, but us 'responsible' DB players use a 'Rubber' to protect our 'tips'..:p Would a BG player even bother?:confused:

Richard Prowse
08-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Oh yes of course, but us 'responsible' DB players use a 'Rubber' to protect our 'tips'..:p Would a BG player even bother?:confused:
Another good point (no pun intended) birthday boy!:D

Dave Martin
09-01-2009, 02:20 AM
First off, I can't believe I'm getting dragged in to this thread.. Self inflicted I might add.. lol

Ok, you can't play any other bass in a Symphony Orchestra other than the bowed Double bass, with some pizz when indicated.

For some parts of the music business or most actually, it is one or the other type bass as it fits. Like wearing a bathing suit or dress suit? You can't dive in a pool with a suit and tie and you can't play an Orchestra concert in the bass section (or any other section) wearing a bathing suit!:p
Well, Carol Kaye worked with, I believe, the Denver Symphony for a little while on electric bass, and I personally have gone into a pool wearing a a tux (admittedly, it was more of a 'shove' than a 'dive', but the end result was the same...

Oren Hudson
09-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Would a BG player even bother?:confused:

All we bother to do is attract the hot chicks, get to the bottom of things, then enjoy the rest of the alloted time. Sounds like fun only because it is. :)

Ken Smith
09-01-2009, 08:50 AM
All we bother to do is attract the hot chicks, get to the bottom of things, then enjoy the rest of the alloted time. Sounds like fun only because it is. :)

What do Chicks have to do with what I said? Huh? HUH?..

Wait.. (reading back).. :D:D:D:D:D.. OHhhhhhhhhhhhh .. You thought I was referring to.. (whispers) 'you know what'!

GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER.:mad:

Richard Prowse
09-01-2009, 02:46 PM
The body of a bass guitar can be used to damn the flow of water in a gutter.
Is that a positive or a negative?

Ken Smith
09-01-2009, 02:50 PM

+ or - depends on the Brand mainly..;)

Richard Prowse
09-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Ken, are you having a good birthday?

A double bass has big f holes that you can store small things in.

Oren Hudson
09-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Positive for sure. The neck of the DB makes an excellent gutter spout auger. ;)

Oren Hudson
09-01-2009, 05:16 PM
What do Chicks have to do with what I said? Huh? HUH?..

Wait.. (reading back).. :D:D:D:D:D.. OHhhhhhhhhhhhh .. You thought I was referring to.. (whispers) 'you know what'!

Must be the 3 1/2 months older than me that you are, but you did eventually grasp the entire deal. You had me worried for a fleeting moment. :)

Richard Prowse
09-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Must be the 3 1/2 months older than me that you are, but you did eventually grasp the entire deal. You had me worried for a fleeting moment. :)
This thread is titled "Double Bass versus Bass Guitar", I think I've just caught you off topic Oren.:mad: (The red face denotes anger in this case)

A double bass has more strings than a bass guitar.

Oren Hudson
09-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Oren.:mad: (The red face denotes anger in this case)

Well, whatever it takes to get you off your sorry behind and quit moaning about whatever it is that you moan about, and get your double bass playing self back on the hill of sunshine.:) That's the mission I have chosen to take for the sake of my big bass playin' man down there in NZ. :cool: I'm sorry that you're mad, but to you are h&k's. :D

Oren Hudson
09-02-2009, 07:47 AM
A double bass has more strings than a bass guitar.

Yes my friend, but sometimes less is more. ;)

Richard Prowse
09-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes my friend, but sometimes less is more. ;)
I'm sorry Oren, my old friend, but I made up that bit about the double bass having more strings.:mad:
And now I've gone and used an angry face when I should have chosen one to represent my more apologetic state. Probably a guy with a soft smile would have worked better. Maybe this guy - :o.

A double bass doesn't have a chin rest. Oops, sorry again, I compared it to a violin and not a bass guitar.

Richard Prowse
09-03-2009, 03:01 PM
You can grow flowers through the f holes of a double bass.

Oren Hudson
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
You can grow flowers through the f holes of a double bass.

Yes - but can you grow pea-nuts?;)

Ken Smith
09-03-2009, 10:37 PM
What are you guys talking about?

How can you expect an ounce of a serious reply with all this childish clowning around. Maybe just change the name of the threat do people don't mistake for something actually about the bass. Cause.. it's not!

Richard Prowse
09-03-2009, 11:52 PM

How can you expect an ounce of a serious reply with all this childish clowning around. Maybe just change the name of the threat do people don't mistake for something actually about the bass. Cause.. it's not!
I've had my last two posts deleted on this thread.
Want to go for three in a row?

Ken Smith
09-04-2009, 12:33 AM
I've had my last two posts deleted on this thread.
Want to go for three in a row?

It was for a typo you made a big deal about. It's fixed so I deleted your reminder. Didn't make sense leaving your post if the typo was fixed, does it?

Richard Prowse
09-04-2009, 12:49 AM
It was for a typo you made a big deal about.
Big deal? Me? It was a sort of tongue in cheek reply to your reprimand.
It's fixed so I deleted your reminder. Didn't make sense leaving your post if the typo was fixed, does it?
Ken, even my dear ol' mum didn't look after me that well! Thanks for the consideration.

Richard Prowse
09-04-2009, 01:39 AM
So, what makes these two instruments different?
The double bass stands next to you, like a dancing partner. It doesn't demand logic, more that you show everyone in the room that the two of you are together, like a team.
The bass guitar needs more physical support. The bass guitar is more needy.
A bass instrument isn't something that should be defined by ****ytical comparison. It dwells in the same realms as a wife does. So, let us rise above the notion of logical comparison - things like "I can play faster on this one" or "This one has a better tone."
Why not move into the space of "I could grow flowers in this", for, in the end, isn't that what what life and art are all about?

Oren Hudson
09-04-2009, 08:28 AM

How can you expect an ounce of a serious reply with all this childish clowning around.

My first guess would be that we're much younger than you and have not completely grown up. Secondly, what does it matter if the children are acting up a bit? After all, it's not the formula to the Atom bomb that we're dealing with. Serious and not serious can ALL reside in harmony in the same thread, and in fact, that is often what makes threads interesting. :D

Oren Hudson
09-04-2009, 08:33 AM

Maybe just change the name of the threat do people don't mistake for something actually about the bass. Cause.. it's not!

I'm not sure what this means. Maybe a typo, a missing word or words or something? :confused:

Oren Hudson
09-04-2009, 08:53 AM
One last post on this. This thread is in violation of the specific subtitle under the category in which it appears. The Bull Pit - "Anything NOT About Basses. General Topic Hang."

To me, it's no big deal, but if there is going to be as much scrutiny, censorship and control as has been demonstrated previously, maybe there should be a specific category for childish exchanges, but limited to adults only and labeled so that forum folks will know that there's a good chance for BS. Maybe that's where some of the threads and posts would best be done and left alone.

I've personally had no problems with many of the violations that have been ignored. In fact, most have been fun and interesting and yes, occasionally informative. There are a number of other categories where one can be super serious and that is fine for those categories.

Life is short - enjoy your allotted time. :)

Ken Smith
09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
One last post on this. This thread is in violation of the specific subtitle under the category in which it appears. The Bull Pit - "Anything NOT About Basses. General Topic Hang."

To me, it's no big deal, but if there is going to be as much scrutiny, censorship and control as has been demonstrated previously, maybe there should be a specific category for childish exchanges, but limited to adults only and labeled so that forum folks will know that there's a good chance for BS. Maybe that's where some of the threads and posts would best be done and left alone.

I've personally had no problems with many of the violations that have been ignored. In fact, most have been fun and interesting and yes, occasionally informative. There are a number of other categories where one can be super serious and that is fine for those categories.

Life is short - enjoy your allotted time. :)

Sure, exchange phone numbers and email address.. I try to keep most of my efforts here concentrated on Bass related stuff.. A joke here in there is fine but when it looks like Kindergarten type chatter back and forth day in and day out, I get the feeling I need a special License to be hosting such a mentally unstable chat line.. You think?

Richard Prowse
09-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Childish exchanges. There are worse things, I suppose. Like violence and hate. Guns too. The term 'childish exchanges' is quite powerful because most adults have a fear of being seen as childish, of having missed the maturing process. It implies some sort of retardation in life's growing process.
Or maybe our maturity meter is loaded with springs that enable us to shift along the scale and then swoosh back? If that were the case, Oren's and mine might need oiling. Our moods have springs, for sure. Some people might have big loose ones. Our sense of worth, our self esteem, would probably be fixed in one position and quite hard to adjust. Our level of self esteem doesn't come with a certificate or a licence. It sits, like a grill, weathering what comes in. What comes bounding at it.

Richard Prowse
09-05-2009, 11:56 PM
A bass guitar fits under your bed when you decide to give up playing.

Richard Prowse
09-06-2009, 01:54 AM
A double bass requires a bigger space.

Oren Hudson
09-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Childish exchanges. There are worse things, I suppose. Like violence and hate. Guns too. The term 'childish exchanges' is quite powerful because most adults have a fear of being seen as childish, of having missed the maturing process. It implies some sort of retardation in life's growing process.
Or maybe our maturity meter is loaded with springs that enable us to shift along the scale and then swoosh back? If that were the case, Oren's and mine might need oiling. Our moods have springs, for sure. Some people might have big loose ones. Our sense of worth, our self esteem, would probably be fixed in one position and quite hard to adjust. Our level of self esteem doesn't come with a certificate or a licence. It sits, like a grill, weathering what comes in. What comes bounding at it.

What can I add to this? Not much - accurately says it all. :)

Oren Hudson
09-06-2009, 10:34 PM

Do bass guitar players ever give up? Agreed - Some probably should. ;)

Richard Prowse
09-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Double basses take up too much room in play pens, whereas an unwanted bass guitar can be pushed out through the wooden bars.

Richard Prowse
09-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Double basses come in a more limited range of colours.

Oren Hudson
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Double basses come in a more limited range of colours.

Richard, you just need to drink more Bourbon with your grits. You can then see your double bass in any color that you desire. Maybe even a double double bass. :) Here's the best part - or you could put a bag over it's head. ;)

Richard Prowse
09-09-2009, 12:05 AM
German bow players are far too busy arguing with French bow players to worry about the pros abd cons of bass guitars.

Richard Prowse
09-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Bass guitars are sometimes described as 'beasts'. Double basses are gentler, more thoughtful.

Oren Hudson
09-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Double basses are gentler, more thoughtful.

Did it send you a birthday card a few weeks ago? LOL :p

Richard Prowse
09-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Did it send you a birthday card a few weeks ago? LOL :p
Yes, and we had dinner together. My 78 Jazz Bass gave me nothing, self centered beastard!.

Richard Prowse
09-14-2009, 11:55 PM
You feed your bass???:confused:
Well, yes.

Oren Hudson
09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Well, yes.

Is it anything like "Little Shop Of Horrors?"

Richard Prowse
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Is it anything like "Little Shop Of Horrors?"
To tell the truth, the bass doesn't seem to eat the food. It sort of falls on the floor. This is probably why I have never seen the bass go to the bathroom.
I love that phrase 'go to the bathroom'. They always say it on yankee TV shows. A person 'going to a bathroom' might do so for several reasons, I guess, this line leaves the purpose of their visit to your imagination. Down here (NZ) we are generally more specific about why one is going to that room.