PDA

View Full Version : Cornerless Bass ... In My Hands

Abe Gumroyan
09-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Hello to all,

I just wanted to post some pictures of a lovely instrument that i have been fortunate to play (on loan) over the last couple of days at school. This cornerless bass once belonged to Herman Reinshagen of the NY Phil. Ken any thoughts on a maker ? It is attributed to Storioni but looks nothing like yours at all. Perhaps a Baldantoni flavor ?

Abe Gumroyan
09-03-2009, 07:06 PM
More pictures to enjoy

Abe Gumroyan
09-03-2009, 07:13 PM
and even more pictures

Ken Smith
09-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Neither maker if you ask me. The bass is plain and simple to my eye and unpurfled from what I can see. The Scroll looks much nicer than the body. Perhaps the bass was not by a professional maker or by an apprentice but the shop master made the scroll. The FFs want to be Brescian or something old but this looks 19th century to me all the way.

Baldontoni is a fairly specific maker with his basses. I have seen pics of only one that was not a Guitar model. My bass although known to many over the years as a Storioni is probably just loosely attributed to him because of the Elgar book. Some agree it is and some say not. It's a fantastic bass so it doesn't really matter. Someone great made it and one day we might know who.

On your bass, it looks like a few others I have seen in that it is simple and nondescript in its features. Look thru all the cornerless basses in my thread and compare.

I am going to move this to the Italian Bass section where it belongs..

If you want it added to the Cornerless Thread of mine, just ask otherwise it will stand on its own in good company.

Martin Sheridan
10-27-2009, 11:15 AM
The fs look very Brescian although anything can be copied. I was thinking Milan or Brescia.

Eric Rene Roy
10-27-2009, 09:22 PM
LOVE the scroll...

Calvin Marks
10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Wow! Lovely instrument. I also love the end-pin, looks like a KC strings?

Eric Hochberg
10-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Hello to all,
Perhaps a Baldantoni flavor ?

It doesn't look too much like the one for sale at basscellar.com to me, if that is a Baldantoni.

Ken Smith
10-27-2009, 11:40 PM
It doesn't look too much like the one for sale at basscellar.com to me, if that is a Baldantoni.

Yes, that is a true Baldantoni which I saw at the June ISB. I have seen 3 others as well. Two of them just about identical. The third had the same Fs as the other but was a Violin shape.

The Scroll on the Bass above to my eye in no way resembles the work of the Bass. I doubt the bass and scroll are the same person.

Eric Rene Roy
10-28-2009, 05:15 AM
The Scroll on the Bass above to my eye in no way resembles the work of the Bass. I doubt the bass and scroll are the same person.Agreed... The hand that carved those ff's could not have carved the scroll.