PDA

View Full Version : Bass problem

Emre Tufekci
09-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Hi,

My BSR5EG that I bought just the other day has a small issue, the jack input has a connectivity problem. If I insert the cable all the way and seat it properly there is no sound, if I pull the cable out about 3-4mm (sorry I only know metric) the sound returns. The jack input was slightly loose when I brought it home, but I opened the back and very gently tightened the screw so it would not wiggle around anymore. But that has not solved the connectivity issue.

My questions is, should I take it back to the dealer I bought it from (chuck levins music in wheaton MD) and let them fix it? Would that void the warranty? Or should I go through KS shop?

Thanks,
Emre
www.productionpit.com (http://www.productionpit.com)

Ken Smith
09-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi,

My BSR5EG that I bought just the other day has a small issue, the jack input has a connectivity problem. If I insert the cable all the way and seat it properly there is no sound, if I pull the cable out about 3-4mm (sorry I only know metric) the sound returns. The jack input was slightly loose when I brought it home, but I opened the back and very gently tightened the screw so it would not wiggle around anymore. But that has not solved the connectivity issue.

My questions is, should I take it back to the dealer I bought it from (chuck levins music in wheaton MD) and let them fix it? Would that void the warranty? Or should I go through KS shop?

Thanks,
Emre
www.productionpit.com (http://www.productionpit.com)

The Bass you bought was not brand new like from my hands to yours. It was in a store and was played at least enough for the internal Jack spring to be weakened and destroyed. Some Cable brands have slightly oversized tips and this will kill a Jack of this design fairly quick.

If the Bass was sold as new, then take it back to the store. They owe you a new jack with installation. If the bass was used, not brand new (first owner ever) then they should compensate you in some way. Still, the jack can be rendered useless by at least one of those famous cable companie's tip designs. I have seen it a thousand times yet they continue to use the type two plug which is not at all good for a new barrel jack such as yours.

This is a store issue as it was shipped from us to them at some point with a good jack when it was made. What is the serial number of your bass?

Emre Tufekci
09-04-2009, 08:46 AM
The serial number is 5EG505105C and I am the first owner. I will take it back to the dealer to get it fixed.

What kinds (I dont know what a type two plug is) or brand of cables should we not use to damage the jacks?

Tim Bishop
09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
The serial number is 5EG505105C and I am the first owner. I will take it back to the dealer to get it fixed.

What kinds (I dont know what a type two plug is) or brand of cables should we not use to damage the jacks?
Based on the serial number, looks like an '05 model with Cocobolo. Makes me wonder. If this seller has had this bass that long, how many people have played it over the last 4 years and what cables were actually used. At any rate, an easy fix, so, nothing to worry about. The cable maker Ken is referencing is Monster cables.

Tim Bishop
09-04-2009, 09:06 AM

Also, once you get this bass fixed, you might want to consider an angled plug-end cable for your bass. This will help mitigate/eliminate any potential damage from unexpected 'hits' to the input jack area of your bass. The straight 1/4 plug-ends are obviously longer and more prone to this.

Emre Tufekci
09-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks Tim, I will definetly get the right angle jacks and not get Monster brand. Would you reccomend the models with the built in circuit breakers?

Tim Bishop
09-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Would you reccomend the models with the built in circuit breakers?No; not necessary. I think if you get any good quality cable with the angled-end, you'll be good to go.

With the Monster cables, based on Kens experience, it's more about the plug being slightly larger in dimension, causing a tighter fit in the barrel jacks (input jack), thus, causing the barrel jacks to wear out quicker.

Emre Tufekci
09-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi Tim,

I ordered new cables with right angles and the music shop repaired the worn out jack input. I have to say they were very professional and courteous. When I went back and told them the brand new bass I just purchased had a wornout jack input they took it to their onsite repair shop and replaced it in 15 minutes.

They explained to me the same things that was said earlier that a lot of players "test" the basses and that means a lot of plugging and unplugging over the years. They were adamant about making it right.

Great customer support, I would definitely recommend them to anybody.

Thanks for the help and information :)

Cheers,
Emre

Tim Bishop
09-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi Tim,

I have to say they were very professional and courteous. When I went back and told them the brand new bass I just purchased had a wornout jack input they took it to their onsite repair shop and replaced it in 15 minutes.

They explained to me the same things that was said earlier that a lot of players "test" the basses and that means a lot of plugging and unplugging over the years. They were adamant about making it right.

That's great! Glad to hear you are up and running. :D

Tim Bishop
09-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Tim,

I have to say they were very professional and courteous. When I went back and told them the brand new bass I just purchased had a wornout jack input they took it to their onsite repair shop and replaced it in 15 minutes.

BTW - do you know if they replaced the jack with the same barrel jack Ken uses? Just curious as I would be surprised to hear they had an extra barrel jack laying around given they fixed it in 15 minutes.

Replacing the barrel jacks in a Smith bass is very easy and would only take about 5 minutes (tops) or less to replace.

Emre Tufekci
09-06-2009, 08:20 AM
They didnt have the orginals but they explained that the replacement they were using was same quality and and up to spec. I looked at their work before they closed it up and it was very clean.

Emre

Tim Bishop
09-06-2009, 08:44 AM
They didnt have the orginals but they explained that the replacement they were using was same quality and and up to spec. I looked at their work before they closed it up and it was very clean.

EmreThat's what I suspected. The original barrel jack has a connector-end design that inserts and connects to the circuit. This is why it is a very clean, quick and easy re-installation using the original barrel jack. So, now I wonder if they cut and spliced the wires from the old barrel jack to the newer replacement 1/4 jack? Make sense?

Emre Tufekci
09-07-2009, 10:42 AM
I think they had a similar unit that inserted as well.

Gilbert Zarate
03-16-2013, 07:04 AM
Glad I found this as I don't want to be encountering issues with my jack due to using Monster cables. I currently use an angled 'bass' Monster cable. Should I stop using it asap? If so, what do you all use or recommend.

This leads me to another question, is Monster cable just a big gimmick? I personally have always liked them because their cables felt beefy but I guess this could easily simply be extra rubber wrapping to give the perception that your getting more gauge wiring. I do know that Monster headphones of just about any kind are almost all just a big fat gimmick(IMO).

Sorry for the noob'esque question, but honestly never knew that Monster made their cables just a tad bigger for a tighter fit and of course I don't want to have issues with my Smith as a result of that. :cool:

Tim Bishop
03-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Glad I found this as I don't want to be encountering issues with my jack due to using Monster cables. I currently use an angled 'bass' Monster cable. Should I stop using it asap? If so, what do you all use or recommend.

This leads me to another question, is Monster cable just a big gimmick? I personally have always liked them because their cables felt beefy but I guess this could easily simply be extra rubber wrapping to give the perception that your getting more gauge wiring. I do know that Monster headphones of just about any kind are almost all just a big fat gimmick(IMO).

Sorry for the noob'esque question, but honestly never knew that Monster made their cables just a tad bigger for a tighter fit and of course I don't want to have issues with my Smith as a result of that. :cool:
I've been using Monster Cables with Smith Basses for 15 years and have never had an issue. I even use straight 1/4 plug ends into my Smiths, however, I am also VERY careful with how I return my bass back to the stand when left plugged in (particularly with the straight 1/4 plug ends). I think the angled plug ends are better because they mitigate the risk of damage to the jack from taking an unexpected hit while a straight 1/4 plug is still plugged into the bass.

I know George L's are a recommended cord to use with Smiths, so, maybe that would be a better option for you if you are in doubt. If you do encounter an input jack issue in the future, it's certainly a simple and easy fix.

Also, periodically clean your cord tips with a good contact cleaner. Same for the input jack (NOTE: Do not spray the cleaner into the jack!). You can use a Q-Tip lightly sprayed with contact cleaner to clean inside input jack. Dirty cord tips and jacks can contribute and/or be the cause of intermittant sound issues (i.e. sound cutting in and out or scratchy sounding).

Hajime Hirose
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Monster Cable is slightly larger for the built-in Jack. There is possibility of braking jack. This is not only problem for Smith basses.