PDA

View Full Version : To fix or buy another bass

Don Edge
09-06-2009, 11:20 PM
I am having fret click issues on every string no matter the amp settings. I recently purchased an Eden WT-405 and a Neo 210 XST cab and own a Fender Rumble 100. It does this on both so I know the amps are not the issue. I have to tune out the treble completely to get rid of it to the point of no highs to almost no mids at all. I am considering sending the bass to the manufacturer for troubleshooting/repairs, preamp upgrade or buy another 5 string. The problem is the 5 string will probably end up being in the $900 range. I estimate the repairs on mine will be possibly $500 if I have a bad PU. What do you recommend? My current bass is in great condition and plays great so I really don't know. I am pretty frustrated at the moment.

Thanks,

Don

Ken Smith
09-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Don, this is the Double Bass section. There are no Frets on a Double Bass.

If this is NOT a Smith Electric bass but some other Brand you might have to discuss this in another part of the Forum if at all. We do not have a General forum for other Brands of Electric Basses aka Bass Guitars. Foe the BGs, this is strictly a Smith Talk Forum.

I will move this where it can be discussed without disturbing the DBers or Smith players. I am sure you will get some help at the least.

Don Edge
09-07-2009, 08:24 AM
You may want to delete this posting, entirely. Thanks to the Kensmithforum for the strings and amp recommendations. Unfortunately there is no other place to get any information I feel is reliable.

Tim Bishop
09-07-2009, 08:59 AM
You may want to delete this posting, entirely. Thanks to the Kensmithforum for the strings and amp recommendations. Unfortunately there is no other place to get any information I feel is reliable.Hey Don, did you get my most recent PM on this topic?

Tim Bishop
09-07-2009, 09:28 AM
I am having fret click issues on every string no matter the amp settings. I recently purchased an Eden WT-405 and a Neo 210 XST cab and own a Fender Rumble 100. It does this on both so I know the amps are not the issue. I have to tune out the treble completely to get rid of it to the point of no highs to almost no mids at all. I am considering sending the bass to the manufacturer for troubleshooting/repairs, preamp upgrade or buy another 5 string. The problem is the 5 string will probably end up being in the $900 range. I estimate the repairs on mine will be possibly $500 if I have a bad PU. What do you recommend? My current bass is in great condition and plays great so I really don't know. I am pretty frustrated at the moment.

Thanks,

DonWell, I went back and checked my 'sent' PM's, but didn't see the last PM I sent you. Man, I spent much time and it was quite lengthy. I guess I got distracted and didn't hit the send button :mad:.

Oh well, at any rate.....

This first thing that comes to my mind is your bass is not set-up optimally for your playing style and/or technique. Did you get the link I sent you (from this forum) of how my set-ups are done, including all the measurments of string height, etc.??? Let me know. If not, I'll send you the link again. This would be a great starting point for you, and from that you could tweek according to your playing style.

BTW - I'm curious, are you using the Smith Medium Taper Cores I recommended to you???

Depending on how you're attacking the strings, and how your bass is set-up with the strings you are currently using, could very well be the cause of what you are hearing as "click issues".

Also, on your 210XST(4), check the back panel. You have an adjustment for the tweeter. If you have it set too high, you may be hearing excessive higher frequencies cutting through. That cabinet is VERY efficient, so, double check that setting. Do not turn it off (or turn it fully counter-clockwise), BUT, start it at about 9'Oclock. Most anyone that has a clue about that particular cabinet finds the 9'Oclock tweeter setting is just about perfect. However, use YOUR ear to determine that.

I would not send your bass anwhere for a "repair". It's unlikely it's the bass and most probable it's the overall bass set-up. Sending it in to someone that doesn't know how the bass should be set-up for your playing style is a hit-or-miss proposition and most likely, you'll be throwing your money away.

Make sense?

Ken Smith
09-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Tim, looking at Don's profile you can see that he does NOT have a SMITH Bass. He has two other 'non Smith' basses of a lower or much lower price range.

It would be wrong of me say what's wrong with a bass I cannot examine on my bench but I would venture to say the problem could very well be the bass.

Fixing those 2 basses will not make them worth any more unless they are unplayable and unsaleable as-is.

I usually tell people that if they do not like their 'non-Smith' bass, sell it and put that money towards a better bass like a Smith or a Smith actually and save the throwaway money you will be spending fixing a bass that will never be as good as what you want it to be or need to have.