PDA

View Full Version : Recent thread have made me wonder...

Dave Martin
09-16-2009, 12:38 AM
...what benefits there would be to doing a restoration on my mid 60's Juzek. it's not in terrible shape, but the finish doesn't look great, the edges of the top are starting to splinter a bit and I suspect that it could be made to sound better (it's not a particularly loud instrument). But having read a number of posts about restorations costing more than the instrument is worth, I hesitate to even start down the path of thinking about it...

Ken Smith
09-16-2009, 12:46 AM
...what benefits there would be to doing a restoration on my mid 60's Juzek. it's not in terrible shape, but the finish doesn't look great, the edges of the top are starting to splinter a bit and I suspect that it could be made to sound better (it's not a particularly loud instrument). But having read a number of posts about restorations costing more than the instrument is worth, I hesitate to even start down the path of thinking about it...

I can say that pricing the right person top do the job should be first on the list. Yes, it can cost more in the end than the bass is currently worth but, if all goes well and the bass is improved, the value might meet its cost before long.

I have two basses out for restoration right now that are in a similar situation of value vs cost. If the job is done right you should be happy with your improved old bass. If this is a carved bass labeled Juzek it is more than likely a Wilfer shop bass or something similar. Over time these have proven to be very good instruments and favorable to improvements. Let a good Luthier look over the bass and advise you accordingly.