PDA

View Full Version : Czech / German ....?

Adrian Levi
10-13-2009, 03:08 AM
I found this bass body , there is a neck but I doubt if it is original.
I am guessing that it is Czech or German ??

Ken Smith
10-13-2009, 06:07 AM
I found this bass body , there is a neck but I doubt if it is original.
I am guessing that it is Czech or German ??

Well, in this case I would say that there is no difference if you are talking about the border area of Shoenbach which was Czech on the map but very German by culture. After WWII, many of these makers moved over to W.Germany. This Bass you show is what I call Germanic. Regardless of what side of the street it was made I would call this a German Bass. Czech basses from the Prague region are very different and often similar in features to Viennese and Hungarian work. This bass looks totally German in nature to me.

Adrian Levi
10-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Well, in this case I would say that there is no difference if you are talking about the border area of Shoenbach which was Czech on the map but very German by culture. After WWII, many of these makers moved over to W.Germany. This Bass you show is what I call Germanic. Regardless of what side of the street it was made I would call this a German Bass. Czech basses from the Prague region are very different and often similar in features to Viennese and Hungarian work. This bass looks totally German in nature to me.

Thanks for the reply Ken.Is it at all possible to estimate the age of the bass by the pics by any chance ?

Ken Smith
10-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the reply Ken.Is it at all possible to estimate the age of the bass by the pics by any chance ?

Well, without seeing the scroll the only thing that tells me later than earlier are the edges. They look a big 'beaded' which we see more of starting in the early 20th century from about 1920-30 or so. The Varnish looks spirit on the ribs and that shade seen on German basses after that date as well. Many of the earlier commercially made basses (as I suspect this one to be) had a lighter golden varnish. That darker red-brown is later I believe after WWII.

That's my guess for now. The bass could be earlier but if so, not by much. The other modern feature I see is that Back. Round and sloped in at the bend. I don't know what to call that but I have seen that on basses slightly over 100 years old and I think it's German all the way. I have one now in restoration and it's so comfortable to play. Angle bent Backs date way back from before the DB used on Viols and Violones. Basses like those by Panormo have a round back but the Rib depth stays constant up until the break. These smaller Germanic style basses with this sloped back make it bass look as if it's slightly bent gradually from the bottom up almost in a quasi bowl shape. I had a Pollmann like that recently and it was so easy to play.

Show the Scroll and Pegbox as well as all of the normal measurements of the bass, Ribs measures alone without plates please.

Ken Smith
10-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Was that Neck broken out clean like that taking off the Button or did someone Cut it off?

FYI, to fix that properly, the Back should come off and have an inlay under the Button to hold it, aka, a Button Graft.

http://www.smithbassforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1262&d=1255417246http://www.smithbassforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1267&d=1255417549http://www.smithbassforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1263&d=1255417300

You can't just Glue it back on. You must take the bass apart and do it the right way. If not, the next guy will have to if the repair doesn't fail before.

Adrian Levi
10-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Was that Neck broken out clean like that taking off the Button or did someone Cut it off?

FYI, to fix that properly, the Back should come off and have an inlay under the Button to hold it, aka, a Button Graft.

http://www.smithbassforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1262&d=1255417246http://www.smithbassforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1267&d=1255417549http://www.smithbassforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1263&d=1255417300

You can't just Glue it back on. You must take the bass apart and do it the right way. If not, the next guy will have to if the repair doesn't fail before.

Noted , Ill make sure that all is done correctly .
Here is a pic of the 'button' , definitely not original by the looks of it !!

Adrian Levi
10-14-2009, 06:26 AM
Well, without seeing the scroll the only thing that tells me later than earlier are the edges. They look a big 'beaded' which we see more of starting in the early 20th century from about 1920-30 or so. The Varnish looks spirit on the ribs and that shade seen on German basses after that date as well. Many of the earlier commercially made basses (as I suspect this one to be) had a lighter golden varnish. That darker red-brown is later I believe after WWII.

That's my guess for now. The bass could be earlier but if so, not by much. The other modern feature I see is that Back. Round and sloped in at the bend. I don't know what to call that but I have seen that on basses slightly over 100 years old and I think it's German all the way. I have one now in restoration and it's so comfortable to play. Angle bent Backs date way back from before the DB used on Viols and Violones. Basses like those by Panormo have a round back but the Rib depth stays constant up until the break. These smaller Germanic style basses with this sloped back make it bass look as if it's slightly bent gradually from the bottom up almost in a quasi bowl shape. I had a Pollmann like that recently and it was so easy to play.

Show the Scroll and Pegbox as well as all of the normal measurements of the bass, Ribs measures alone without plates please.

Hi Ken , I am not with the instrument at the moment but these are the measurements I got today.

Total length is 113 to 114 cm
Centre bouts are 20cm (end to end)
Top bout is 17,5cm
Bottom bout is 21cm
Back to top (with out plates) is 17,5cm

Also attached are some pics of 'a scroll' .The previous owner is not sure that it came with the bass even/doesn't look like it. There is another head that Ill get soon ,one that is removed from a neck and I think that may have belonged to the bass ! Ill attach the existing pics anyway !

Adrian Levi
12-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Ok Ken , got my bass back and have taken measurements myself this time and in inches !

body length 42''
upper bout 20''
lower bout 25,5''
rib depth 8'' and tapers to 6,3/4'' at neck start .

It is a really rotund bass , a bit 'lightbulbish' in shape if viewed from the side !
She has a well balanced and very projecting tone with a quick response .
I used her on a jazz session already and she has good presence even in a big and busy arrangement. Needless to say I'm happy.

I'm adding another couple of pics in the hope of finding out more about the instrument !

Ken Smith
12-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Ok Ken , got my bass back and have taken measurements myself this time and in inches !

body length 42''
upper bout 20''
lower bout 25,5''
rib depth 8'' and tapers to 6,3/4'' at neck start .

It is a really rotund bass , a bit 'lightbulbish' in shape if viewed from the side !
She has a well balanced and very projecting tone with a quick response .
I used her on a jazz session already and she has good presence even in a big and busy arrangement. Needless to say I'm happy.

I'm adding another couple of pics in the hope of finding out more about the instrument !

The Rib depth is 8" or 8" WITH the Top and Back plates included? The Ribs are Ribs. Measure them always as the wood that was cut to be bent around the outline. The Top and Back thicknesses are not part of the Ribs. Measure the overall thickness only when buying a case to fit it.

This bass looks to be in the 60-100 year range in age. Hard to tell more by just pics. Basses with more repaired damage than others tend to look older, especially from the Top.

The Bass looks good. Enjoy it..

Adrian Levi
12-05-2009, 01:45 AM
The Rib depth is 8" or 8" WITH the Top and Back plates included? The Ribs are Ribs. Measure them always as the wood that was cut to be bent around the outline. The Top and Back thicknesses are not part of the Ribs. Measure the overall thickness only when buying a case to fit it.

Thanks for the reply.
yep the rib depth I measured without plates !