PDA

View Full Version : Burner Bass Modification..

Ken Smith
10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
In the past I have been asked about converting the Burner 4-knob bass/Treble into a 5-knob B.M.T. (bs/md/tr). I have done a couple of these over the years and just basically did it and got it working as far as the fit.

Today for some reason, I had one on my bench to modify and it went fairly easy. I had to move the batter box to the middle between the two long circuit boards because it was placed originally just past the Jack where the Mid board needed to go. Drilling the hope for the 5th knob/Pot and having enough room for the 3rd circuit board is not as easy but I can make it fit.

The Mid Board plugs directly into the Bass/Treble Board with a slight and simple modification. The Mid board also has an active Volume attenuator to raise the active signal if desired. This feature is not on the USA 4-knob units installed in the Burners from about 1993 but the japan circuits used from 1989 to 1994 with 4 separate encased Pots had a Volume Trim Pot like this one. The only problem with the old Japan circuit is that I cannot add the Mid Board to them as it is a different design.

So, I am here today to inform all of you Burner owners and Burner lovers that I can convert your Bass/Treble Burner into a B.M.T. model Bass/Middle/Treble Bass. This ofcourse will be the 9v unit that we used on the Smith basses from 1993 till about 2003/2004. If you have an older Burner from before 1993 that has the older japan circuit, I can replace that as well in the process with the current USA 9-volt, 5-knob unit.

For more information, contact me directly at sales@kensmithbasses.com

In the mean time, please feel free to discuss it here on line.