PDA

View Full Version : End-pin Location

Calvin Marks
11-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Just curious, where should the end-pin be located with a bass of a bottom rib depth of 9.25"?

Thanks

Arnold Schnitzer
11-12-2009, 08:28 AM
At the bottom. :D

Ken Smith
11-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Just curious, where should the end-pin be located with a bass of a bottom rib depth of 9.25"?

Thanks

Why do you ask?

Is where the tuners go next?

Ken Smith
11-12-2009, 08:51 AM
At the bottom. :D

Hey, brain scanner.. that was my answer..:mad: Only, I didn't think he was THAT far off or confused..:confused: So.. I didn't actually Post it..:(

I would say to lower you endpin to the floor (all the way in) and sit down with the bass. Then angle the bass as you sit.. On a Stool (not a chair) until the Back edge touches the floor. On a bass with deep ribs, I would think further towards the Back away from center (but not much) would be best. A Viennese Tailwire plug (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/pollmann1/images/bottom.jpg) might be good for this bass with the endpin free standing (or sitting actually). Pollmann does that and I think it's so cool..:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I can go measure my Panormo school bass and see where that endpin is placed. It's as wide as your Bass on the Ribs alone. With the Top and back added, it's even wider.

Hey Calvin, you didn't measure this 9 1/4" WITH the Top and Back included did you? That's a No No!:eek:

Rib depth are Ribs only. Overall depth includes the plates.

Calvin Marks
11-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey, brain scanner.. that was my answer..:mad: Only, I didn't think he was THAT far off or confused..:confused: So.. I didn't actually Post it..:(

I would say to lower you endpin to the floor (all the way in) and sit down with the bass. Then angle the bass as you sit.. On a Stool (not a chair) until the Back edge touches the floor. On a bass with deep ribs, I would think further towards the Back away from center (but not much) would be best. A Viennese Tailwire plug (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/pollmann1/images/bottom.jpg) might be good for this bass with the endpin free standing (or sitting actually). Pollmann does that and I think it's so cool..:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I can go measure my Panormo school bass and see where that endpin is placed. It's as wide as your Bass on the Ribs alone. With the Top and back added, it's even wider.

Hey Calvin, you didn't measure this 9 1/4" WITH the Top and Back included did you? That's a No No!:eek:

Rib depth are Ribs only. Overall depth includes the plates.

Hey Ken, 9.25" with the rib's alone. The back hits the floor pretty much no matter what, unless you have the end-pin out quite a bit. With standing, you obviously don't have that problem, unless you play with the bass leaning into you quite a bit.

Ken Smith
11-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Hey Ken, 9.25" with the rib's alone. The back hits the floor pretty much no matter what, unless you have the end-pin out quite a bit. With standing, you obviously don't have that problem, unless you play with the bass leaning into you quite a bit.

The Endpin is 'centered' on the Panormo. The endpin sticks out 3.75" with the pin all the way in (less the back lip overhang). I don't play with all that much angle sitting down myself. If I do, my bow arm is up in the air and fatigues me in a very short while. I play the Hart bass sitting down with the Pin in all the way now. I put the spike into the floor and the back edge never hits the floor. It is very comfortable and I can hit all the notes from the Extension to the bridge in that position. This Bass has some decent shoulders as well and an Eb neck heel. So far, this is becoming one of my all time favorites to play as far as comfort goes. The sound is nice too but it's the comfort we are talking about now, right?

The Hart is about an inch less in depth than your bass and the Panormo and the endpin socked centered as well. This bass has the carbon fiber unit and is less than 3" out from the edge of the back all the way in. No problemo here. It's all about the angle. I would think with the sloped shoulders of your bass you wouldn't need so much angle to play. The bass bow is heavy enough as it is. What hold it up at such an angle? I am even using my lighter and shorter bazin Bow at the moment. Such comfort it is.

You need to make a trip south to see both Arnold and myself. Too much talk back and forth about problems and concerns you should noy have. Time is better spent on playing I think.

kurt ratering
11-13-2009, 10:45 AM
no worries about the viennese wire plug on the same grain as the endpin weakening the lower block?

Ken Smith
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
no worries about the viennese wire plug on the same grain as the endpin weakening the lower block?

Ask the Viennese!! Ask Pollmann how they do with it over time. Ask some Luthiers.. How about that Extra bent endpin hole so many people are adding. Anything different there?

More holes I guess is weaker but other than standing the bass to play (at some angle usually) is there some bouncing the bass on its block going on that might crack it?

kurt ratering
11-13-2009, 12:06 PM
just asking...if i knew this stuff it would be "kurts corner"

Anselm Hauke
11-13-2009, 12:38 PM

my alfred meyer bass has this since 80 years. no worries.