PDA

View Full Version : tonewood needed

Martin Sheridan
11-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I've purchased tonewood for basses from several suppliers over the years, but no one can supply me with some wood for a flat back bass in the time frame I need it (yesterday). Looking for nice maple for the flat back and sides, Engleman, red spruce or Sitka for the top. Will consider other than maple. Can anyone help out there?

Ken Smith
11-23-2009, 12:57 AM
I've purchased tonewood for basses from several suppliers over the years, but no one can supply me with some wood for a flat back bass in the time frame I need it (yesterday). Looking for nice maple for the flat back and sides, Engleman, red spruce or Sitka for the top. Will consider other than maple. Can anyone help out there?

Dimensions needed?

Species and grain of maple desired? Black Walnut?

Martin Sheridan
11-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Dimensions needed?

I was thinking of Broad Leaf, but right now I"m open to anything.
I've found another immediate source for spruce, and I've got some Lombardy Poplar but it needs to be cut and dried etc. and I can't tell by looking at the logs if the wood is any good anyway. We're having a Bass Festival in Chicago February 7th and if I can get wood and get busy maybe I can Have it ready. It'll be cornerless!

Don Cox
12-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Martin, you might give Reid Hudson a call. He supplies top quality wood for some luthiers in Canada. I don't know if you want to go this far afield but when last I was to his house for a rehair he had a whole room full of aging and aged wood.
Don't know what he has at the moment but it might be worth a call.
His wood website is www.hudsonhardwoods (http://www.%3Cb%3Ehudsonhardwoods%3C/b%3E).com/
If that's not working his other website is www.reid (http://www.reid)hudson.com/

Don Cox
12-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Sorry, neither of those addresses copied correctly - don't know why.
You'll have to type them in manually.

Martin Sheridan
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks Don. I've had a couple of good leads. Canada isn't out of the question and the woods from there are very good. However the shipping costs are frighteningly high. I'll check out his site.

I've even found some nice maple locally, but it's a little hard. I might end up buying some anyway because the price is right.

I've found some very nice red maple from someone in Virginia.

Ken Smith
12-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Dimensions needed?

I have more Maple and Walnut that I can use in a lifetime. That's why I sell lumber..

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/ft/lumbersection/LUMBERmain.html

Maybe if you answer my question to you from before on the sizes needed, I might be able to help you. Arnold has made Basses with both Maple and Walnut supplied by 'yours truly'!

Mainly I need the dimensions. I have tons of Red Maple, Curly and Black Walnut as well as other woods.

Martin Sheridan
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I received some very nice red maple last week. Still looking for spruce.

Martin Sheridan
03-21-2010, 04:05 PM
I now have everything I need to make the bass except the ebony fingerboard which shouldn't be a problem. I've decided against making the cornerless. I love the look but have decided that they are too different.
I've designed my own bass. Hope to post some pictures as it comes along.
Thanks to everyone.