PDA

View Full Version : NZ Bass Camp.

Richard Prowse
12-12-2009, 04:38 PM
We're having a double bass camp in Martinborough (Wairarapa). starting on Jan 29th and running until Jan 31st. Classical bassists Hiroshi Ikematsu, Vicki Jones and jazz player Nick Tipping are advertised as being 'on the staff'.
Hiroshi is principal bassist with the NZSO and is described as one of the finest Japanese bassists of his generation. I've heard him play solo and I can tell you he's a great player - he studied with Gary Karr.
Martinborough is a lovely little rural town set in between numerous vinyards and is only about an hour from Wellington. Obviously yours truly will be going and hoping to get some bowing help from Hiroshi. Full registration is only $NZ230, which covers meals and accomodation - that'd be about $US150!
I think the camp is being held on a Marae, so the sleeping arrangements might be communal (lots of beds in one big room), but I'll try to find out more.
They sent me a registration form so, if anyone is keen to go, PM me your email and I'll send all the info on to you. I only found out about this camp by chance - they've had a couple before that I didn't know about - so I'm very excited about it. If you play double bass and live in NZ, or nearby, you must go! We don't get many opportunities like this Down here (NZ).

Joel Larsson
12-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Well, my friend, if 17612.25 kilometers (or 10944.05 miles) qualifies as nearby, I'd love to drop by!!

Richard Prowse
12-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Well, my friend, if 17612.25 kilometers (or 10944.05 miles) qualifies as nearby, I'd love to drop by!!
What bass will you bring? I can lend you my German plywood.

Joel Larsson
12-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Don't worry about the ply. Since it's so close, I'll bring my Pöllmann. I can probably carry it.

Richard Prowse
12-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Great. We have a pull out bed, I'll organise some linen.

Richard Prowse
01-27-2010, 11:31 PM
(Double) Bass Camp 10 starts at about 4.30pm tomorrow in Martinborough. Yes!
Apologies Ken, you'll have to get by without me for three days.:(

Sometimes Richard uses Smilies.

Anselm Hauke
01-28-2010, 05:41 AM
richard, enjoy it!

Oren Hudson
01-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Apologies Ken, you'll have to get by without me for three days.:(

Sometimes Richard uses Smilies.

This will sure leave a lot of empty space here on the forum. :rolleyes:

We'll all miss your sweet smile and voice. Have a blast at camp and try not to PO the counselors too much. :)

Daniel Yeabsley
02-05-2010, 03:25 PM
How was the camp Richard?

I missed it- hopefully it's on again next year.

Did you play your new bass?

Richard Prowse
02-06-2010, 01:31 PM
How was the camp Richard?

I missed it- hopefully it's on again next year.

Did you play your new bass?
Bass camp was great! It's on every two years - you must come in 2012!
I met your brother yesterday in Alistar's Music. He was looking at a bass that had evidently been played in the symphony for fifteen years. They asked me to play it. The strings were old, it didn't have a big sound and wasn't fun to play. Supposedly it was a real bargain, but I'd rather be playing my 500 series Christopher. He's got another one (ex symphony) coming - should be interesting.

Back to bass camp...
Most people were provincial orchestra players or young classical students . Some of the young players played very well. The tutors were from the NZSO and Nick Tipping was there from NZSM Jazz School. The star was Hiroshi, who is the principal of the NZSO and an internationally renouned soloist. The activities were divided between playing orchestral excerts, playing ensemble music, master classes and beginner jazz classes. It was a great weekend and there was a lot to learn from watching Hiroshi and others. We did a concert to end the camp and I got to play with Hiroshi - you don't get to do that every day in Wainuiomata!

Hey, we must get together soon - your brother told me about a bass you got from Arnold, I'd love to hear it.