PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Netherlands

Paulien van Mourik
12-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey guys,

Let's start out with the bad part: sadly, I don't have a Smith bass.
Now that's over with, I can introduce myself properly. My name is Paulien van Mourik, from the Netherlands. I joined because I read at the Talk Bass forum that this is an excellent forum :D
I'm 17 years old, and just started playing DB three months ago. Before that I played the flute for seven years, and I have to admit, I like DB better already. I play in a youth orchestra, which asked me to make the switch to DB.
As I'm still learning much every day about basses and even strings, I'm hoping to learn more from you guys.
Maybe one day, I'll be as good as you are. And then maybe I might be able to buy a Smith bass!

Love from the tiny, cold country in Europe

Ken Smith
12-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Hey guys,

Let's start out with the bad part: sadly, I don't have a Smith bass.
Now that's over with, I can introduce myself properly. My name is Paulien van Mourik, from the Netherlands. I joined because I read at the Talk Bass forum that this is an excellent forum :D
I'm 17 years old, and just started playing DB three months ago. Before that I played the flute for seven years, and I have to admit, I like DB better already. I play in a youth orchestra, which asked me to make the switch to DB.
As I'm still learning much every day about basses and even strings, I'm hoping to learn more from you guys.
Maybe one day, I'll be as good as you are. And then maybe I might be able to buy a Smith bass!

Love from the tiny, cold country in Europe

Being that you are one of the few Female members here let me say hello personally. We do have a few other ladies here but they seldom post. I don't know why that is but our gentlemen here I am sure will welcome your presence as well.

I see that you are only 17 but let me assure you that is perfectly ok here. My son Mike who will turn 19 in about a month was only 16 three years ago when he created this Forum, all by himself. I just guided him here and there as to what subject were needed and the titles. The rest is all him.. So 17 is fine being that a 16 year old created this place..:)

Tim Bishop
12-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi Paulien, a wealth of knowledge awaits you from Ken, Arnold and others. I'm not a DB player, however, I will certainly do my best to help you with any other questions you may have concerning electric basses or even bass amplification. ;)

Paulien van Mourik
12-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I think I'll be able to feel 'at home' here, whatever that may mean on an internet site.

Oren Hudson
12-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Here's a warm welcome for you from Dixie (North Carolina.) Always cool to see, hear or chat with female bass players. Many years back, I put a little group together for a special event. Since I was the guitarist, my 5'2" wife stepped up and learned some basic bass patterns on my Precision and did the job. Cool then, and still is. :)

Richard Prowse
12-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi Paulien.
The first double bass lessons I took (in 1976) were with a woman with tiny hands and she could really play. Since then I've taught many young women and they always seem to make sensitive players. Good luck with your playing.

Calvin Marks
12-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Welcome, the Dutch are good people!

frederic vidal
12-16-2009, 02:18 AM
Hi Paulien and welcome here :)