PDA

View Full Version : String Combinations

Sergio Netto
12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
I was using D'Addario Helicore Pizzcato medium strings in my bass and their sound was pretty good for jazz pizz, but when I bought my first set, the E string broke when I was tunning it. I contacted D'Addario and they sent me another E string. Then when I bought my second set of the same strings and put it on my bass, the same problem occurred with the E string. It has broken at the same place, near the roller.
I read in internet an advice for blending the Spirocore S42 E & A Med. double bass strings with Pirastro Obligato D & G bass strings.
I'm currently using Thomastik Spirocore Solo medium, but I don't like the D and G sound pretty much. I would like to try mixing the Spirocore E and A with Pirasto Obligatos D and G, but it's an expensive experience.
Can anyone help me?

Eric Hochberg
12-31-2009, 04:05 PM
If you liked the sound of the Heli Pizzacatos, why don't you try a set of Spirocore Weich's. A similar jazz pizz sound, a bit lighter feel, and very high quality all around. I'm sure you won't experience any breakage with these.

Ken Smith
12-31-2009, 05:05 PM
If you liked the sound of the Heli Pizzacatos, why don't you try a set of Spirocore Weich's. A similar jazz pizz sound, a bit lighter feel, and very high quality all around. I'm sure you won't experience any breakage with these.

I have a very old set of these on my Bohemian 3/4 for which I use on jazz gigs. They work just fine providing it's the tension that works with your particular bass.

Richard Prowse
01-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I have a very old set of these on my Bohemian 3/4 for which I use on jazz gigs. They work just fine providing it's the tension that works with your particular bass.
And, believe it or not, they bow pretty good.