PDA

View Full Version : New Use for my P.A.P.A. Preamp

Dave Longenecker
01-05-2010, 01:35 AM
I bought the Smith PAPA Preamp a few months ago. I was mainly interested in using the preamp to get the modern Smith sound for my 1990 "3 knobber" so that I would have the Vintage tones from the bass itself, then I could also get the newer tones with the preamp - which has the same 'guts' that the newer models have. I was especially interested in having a 'Mids' control.

I have used it live in this context, and it is also great to have this little baby around to practice with a headphone, but I have really found it most useful for recording my string bass: I use it more like a 'More-Me' headphone application.
I sometimes get the opportunity to record my string bass on sessions, but it's impossible for me to ask the sound engineer to give me more of my bass in the phones when there are thirty or forty players and only one overall headphone mix. I usually do the "Right can on my right ear- the other ear on the instrument" thing - but I never can really hear my instrument well, and the headphones nearly fall off in this awkward setting. Instead, I connect the preamp to the pickup of my bass, use an earbud from the preamp and the earbud goes in my left ear which is INSIDE my left 'can'. That way I hear the whole orchestra and click on the right side, and my bass on the left. There is some flexibility in the sound I get to the earbud by using the EQ on the preamp. Also, I then connect the preamp to a tuner on my music stand. With this setup I can both hear myself play and see if it is in tune using the tuner. I find it a very useful setup.

There is a bit of 'hiss' in the sound I get to the earbud, but using the preamp this way is so useful that I can easily ignore a bit of hiss.

Just thought I would share that.

Cheeers!

Dave

Ken Smith
01-05-2010, 02:02 AM
I have mentioned it to a few people about using the headphones as a monitor when you can't turn up the volume. The PAPA works great with the Double Bass as well. Is this the old ray Brown 'Ella' Bass? Should we just nick name her 'Ella'? Sounds better than 'Oscar' if you ask me. After all, it was Ella that bought the Bass for Ray from what I heard.

Dave Longenecker
01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Hiya Ken!

Yep, I sure enjoyed talkin with you the other day. You've got a KEEN interest in the bass, that's for sure!

And, I'm sure enjoying the PAPA - lots of uses there.

Actually, since you mentioned the bass, I usually refer to it as the "Ray Brown Bass" - or the "Holey Pegged Bass" as Ray used to call it.

Cheeers, Ken!

Dave

Anselm Hauke
01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
hi dave, nice picture.
do you have some more from the remain of the bass?

Dave Longenecker
01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Anselm,

I'll try to upload a picture of it here. Sorry the picture is so small. I'm still very inept when it comes to computers, and this is the biggest I could make it.

By the way, here's a video of Ray playing the bass in 1961:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wacjJiKqfjo&feature=PlayList&p=32687552B7E9A17C&index=3

The attached picture looks like there is some kind of fold in the bass - right above the right F hole, it's actually the fold in the picture of the bass when I tried to scan the picture.

Wish I could get that same groove as the great Mr. Brown!

Cheeers,

Dave

Ken Smith
01-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi Anselm,

I'll try to upload a picture of it here. Sorry the picture is so small. I'm still very inept when it comes to computers, and this is the biggest I could make it.

By the way, here's a video of Ray playing the bass in 1961:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wacjJiKqfjo&feature=PlayList&p=32687552B7E9A17C&index=3

The attached picture looks like there is some kind of fold in the bass - right above the right F hole, it's actually the fold in the picture of the bass when I tried to scan the picture.

Wish I could get that same groove as the great Mr. Brown!

Cheeers,

Dave

Groove? Dave, come over with the Bass. I will show you where Ray left it..;)

Also, is the Extension around the Scroll or was the Scroll cut for it?

I just wanna know how much work I will need to have done to put the Chromatic Extension on it when I get the Bass!:cool:

Anselm Hauke
01-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Hi Anselm,

thank you dave!

Dave Longenecker
01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Groove? Dave, come over with the Bass. I will show you where Ray left it..;)

Also, is the Extension around the Scroll or was the Scroll cut for it?

I just wanna know how much work I will need to have done to put the Chromatic Extension on it when I get the Bass!:cool:

Ahh, Ken - yep, "...when you get the bass..." I'm going to retire in only 14 years! I'll DEFINITELY keep you in mind!

I know that in the old days the scrolls were often cut to put the extension on. Happily, that is a definite NO-NO today! Luckily, this scroll was not cut at all, except of course for the hole for the C string.

So, Ken - you mentioned you would show me where Ray left his groove - would you mind mailing his groove to me? Priority Express, please!! I'll pay anything - ANYTHING - to get his groove!!!!

Eagerly awaiting that package!

Dave

Tim Bishop
01-06-2010, 02:35 PM
So, Ken - you mentioned you would show me where Ray left his groove - would you mind mailing his groove to me? Priority Express, please!! I'll pay anything - ANYTHING - to get his groove!!!!
Yes, please add me to that distribution! :)

Ken Smith
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Ahh, Ken - yep, "...when you get the bass..." I'm going to retire in only 14 years! I'll DEFINITELY keep you in mind!

I know that in the old days the scrolls were often cut to put the extension on. Happily, that is a definite NO-NO today! Luckily, this scroll was not cut at all, except of course for the hole for the C string.

Eagerly awaiting that package!

Dave

It can't be mailed.. Pay anything?? Ok, come and bring the bass. I promise I will send you home with the Groove. Maybe not the Bass or THIS Bass but, the Groove will be crossing the border with you..;)

True story.. A year ago or so I was called to sub on a Duo gig, Vibes and Bass at the Philly Art Museum, Sunday Brunch. The Vibes players asks the regular guy, who is this Sub from New York, I don't know him. My friend replies, "he sounds like Ray Brown". The Vibes guy replies, "this late in the week I'll settle for Ray White!"

I grew up playing along with Ray, Oscar and Ed on the record player. I would record the tunes with the Mic on my bass to see if I could sound and feel exactly like him on the playback. I met Ed Thigpen at a NAMM show at Chicago and almost scared him. I was the only guy at the Show (non drummer maybe) that knew who he was. If he knew all the hours I played along with him on Record he would almost think I was a stalker. Ray thought I was a bit 'off' as well when we first met but an older Jazz Guitarist let him know how much I followed his playing and admired him which was evident in my playing, I think! From then on it was all smiles when we met at future NAMM shows. He was and will always be my Idol of what Jazz bass IS!

Dave Longenecker
01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
It can't be mailed.. Pay anything?? Ok, come and bring the bass. I promise I will send you home with the Groove. Maybe not the Bass or THIS Bass but, the Groove will be crossing the border with you..;)

True story.. A year ago or so I was called to sub on a Duo gig, Vibes and Bass at the Philly Art Museum, Sunday Brunch. The Vibes players asks the regular guy, who is this Sub from New York, I don't know him. My friend replies, "he sounds like Ray Brown". The Vibes guy replies, "this late in the week I'll settle for Ray White!"

I grew up playing along with Ray, Oscar and Ed on the record player. I would record the tunes with the Mic on my bass to see if I could sound and feel exactly like him on the playback. I met Ed Thigpen at a NAMM show at Chicago and almost scared him. I was the only guy at the Show (non drummer maybe) that knew who he was. If he knew all the hours I played along with him on Record he would almost think I was a stalker. Ray thought I was a bit 'off' as well when we first met but an older Jazz Guitarist let him know how much I followed his playing and admired him which was evident in my playing, I think! From then on it was all smiles when we met at future NAMM shows. He was and will always be my Idol of what Jazz bass IS!

I've got a friend here in Toronto who is 92 years old and used to play with Joe Jones and Jack Teagarden and lots of the greats back in the day. He looks like and has the same sense of humor as George Burns - people used to say that he sounds like Ray Brown and he would say "Are you kidding? Ray sounds like ME!"

So your friend says that you sound like Ray Brown! WAY TO GO, KEN!!! THAT'S a GREAT compliment! I hope to hear you play one day!

Cheeers!

Dave

Ken Smith
01-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I've got a friend here in Toronto who is 92 years old and used to play with Joe Jones and Jack Teagarden and lots of the greats back in the day. He looks like and has the same sense of humor as George Burns - people used to say that he sounds like Ray Brown and he would say "Are you kidding? Ray sounds like ME!"

So your friend says that you sound like Ray Brown! WAY TO GO, KEN!!! THAT'S a GREAT compliment! I hope to hear you play one day!

Cheeers!

Dave

As soon as you show up with the bass, I will play till you either fall asleep or beg me to stop..:eek: