PDA

View Full Version : Stolen/Missing Bass/UPS

Ken Smith
01-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Hi, please be on the lookout in Southern California or on Ebay for a Ken Smith BSR5GN with Quilted Maple Top & Back, Mahogany Core and Walnut Laminates, 5-pc wings. Serial Number 5GN5889F10.

The Bass was shipped UP2 (2-day Air) on 1/5/10 and is marked as 'delivered' on 1/7/10, 6:30PM left at the buyers door in Cerritos, Calif. UPS is allowed by their rules to drop off at Door if no one is home rather than make 2 or 3 attempts.

This is the first time we have ever had this type of problem and it will never happen again.

We just received a call and an Email from the Buyer yesterday (Tuesday, 1/12/10) that he never got his Bass. Being that this was marked delivered 5 days earlier adds some extra worry to me.

The Shipment/Bass is still being investigated. As soon as UPS tells me this is 'lost' I will file a claim with my Insurance company here. Settlement is much faster than with UPS and we are covered for just about any amount of value.

My preference is that the bass finds its way to the customer. It was a bass purchased from stock so it wasn't something that was very custom. It was however a very fine instrument and we hope to find it before long.

Tim Bishop
01-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Had something similar happen to me once about 5 years ago. I bought a Smith bass off of eBay. The bass would be shipped by UPS from Jacksonville, FL. The bass made it as far as the Dallas UPS hub and no further. Dallas is about 30 miles east of Fort Worth. The bass was suppose to be delivered in Fort Worth. I filed a report with UPS. UPS determined the bass was "missing" (duh).

About 6 months later, the same bass shows up on eBay. Item location? Fort Worth. I contacted the eBay seller (he was selling the bass for the person that owned it) and he connected me with the owner. I won the eBay auction (again) and met the newest owner in south Fort Worth to pick up the bass.

After talking with the owner a bit, I had asked how he came across this bass. He said he purchased it at a flee market in Fort Worth. Hmmm, I thought: Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. However, as the conversation moved on, I also learned his previous employer was, guess who?, yeah, UPS - Dallas. Made me want to go, hmmmmmm (better known as the double hmmm). I contacted UPS and to my surprise, they had long since moved on and dropped the investigation.

After I received the bass, I contacted the original (legal) owner of the bass (from Jacksonvill FL) to let him know I located and bought the bass. He and I, to this day, are good friends.

Tim Bishop
01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
....We just received a call and an Email from the Buyer yesterday (Tuesday, 1/12/10) that he never got his Bass. Being that this was marked delivered 5 days earlier adds some extra worry to me....I find it very interesting the buyer doesn't make contact with you until 5 days after delivery. What was that hold-up? If it was delivered, wouldn't there be a signature required upon receipt for such an expensive item? Something obvioulsy doesn't smell right with this.

Ken Smith
01-13-2010, 11:23 PM
I find it very interesting the buyer doesn't make contact with you until 5 days after delivery. What was that hold-up? If it was delivered, wouldn't there be a signature required upon receipt for such an expensive item? Something obvioulsy doesn't smell right with this.

The bass was shipped on the 5th so if it was ground it would take a week which the guy waited for before calling. We we spoke I let him know it was sent 2day air as originally agreed. Then at that point we started the search. The box was left at the door as they/UPS claimed no one was home. The buyer confirms that but upon returning home a few hours later, there was no box in sight.

Right now it's a missing bass, possibly stolen. By whom, we don't know. I need the UPS findings to make a Police report but I will do so anyway. I spoke yesterday with a friend out there who is a recently retired LAPD cop of 20 years. He ran all the possibilities by me and will assist me in anyway possible.

Tim Bishop
02-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Anything new to report on this?

Ken Smith
02-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Anything new to report on this?

Still being investigated..

Eleazar Sigaran
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Could this bass that was stolen be the one on Ebay right now?
Ken check it out, it might be the one your looking for.
Or I'm just over-reacting.
Just looking out.....for yall...http://www.smithbassforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Tim Bishop
02-10-2010, 12:59 PM
If you are referring to the BT5EG (Quilted Maple), then no, this is not the one. Plus I know that seller well.

The bass Ken is referencing is a 2010 BSR5GN Model: Two different body shapes.

Eleazar Sigaran
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Oh, OK,
Hopefully, it turns out and you'll find it....

Tim Bishop
02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Oh, OK,
Hopefully, it turns out and you'll find it....Yep, keep your eyes open. Ya never know what you might find. ;)

Desmund Nichols
02-11-2010, 06:29 PM
It makes me not want to buy a bass off ebay.

Tim Bishop
02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
It makes me not want to buy a bass off ebay.It helps to know who you're dealing with. If you don't, that's the risk one takes.

John Delventhal
03-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Is this it on Ebay right now! A little over one day left by seller, epmbassgroup. Maybe not this one is tiger maple.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ken-Smith-BSR-Elite-5-string-bass_W0QQitemZ200452387130QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuita r?hash=item2eabe4b13a

Tim Bishop
03-21-2010, 07:49 PM
I think this is it on Ebay right now! A little over one day left by seller, epmbassgroup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ken-Smith-BSR-Elite-5-string-bass_W0QQitemZ200452387130QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuita r?hash=item2eabe4b13a A big negatory. I know the seller and the bass you are seeing was mine (I sold to him back in December). The auction is totally legitimate. :cool:

John Delventhal
03-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Sorry, caught my mix up of tiger and quilted maple a little too late.

Tim Bishop
03-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Sorry, caught my mix up of tiger and quilted maple a little too late.Not a problem.

The one Ken is referencing in this thread is the following: Ken Smith BSR5GN with Quilted Maple Top & Back, Mahogany Core and Walnut Laminates, 5-pc wings. Serial Number 5GN5889F10.

The one in the current auction is a BSR5EG.