PDA

View Full Version : SC

Jens Westerinen
01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Hi!

I've never tried a Smith with sc-pickups or even heard one that I know had it. Does anyone have any suggestion of a vid/track/sample where I could here one. Not a Burner though.

Thanks.

Tim Bishop
01-13-2010, 08:12 PM
SC as in single coil? Ken doesn't use single coil pick-ups in his basses, however, there are those out there that have re-wired the Smith soap-bars to a single coil :eek:.

Tim Bishop
01-13-2010, 08:16 PM
.....Does anyone have any suggestion of a vid/track/sample where I could here one....
Thanks.Even if this were available, it would not be a good representation to go on. Your best and only option would be to try a bass that is wired as single coil, using your amplification, to hear the results for yourself.

Jens Westerinen
01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
But the BSR 'J', doesn't those have single coils?

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrj/bsrjseries.html

Tim Bishop
01-15-2010, 10:23 PM
But the BSR 'J', doesn't those have single coils?

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models...srjseries.html (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrj/bsrjseries.html) No, those are stacked coil humbucking J's.

Jens Westerinen
01-16-2010, 06:19 AM
No, those are stacked coil humbucking J's.

Ok. Well, then this thread is dead. It was them I wanted to know how they sounded. :)

Ken Smith
01-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Ok. Well, then this thread is dead. It was them I wanted to know how they sounded. :)

They sound good! Single coil pickups do not cancel Hum when soloed or mixed from center 50/50. That is the whole point of humbuckers, to get rid of the 60 cycle hum. Why would anyone want to BUY Hum? I don't get it!

Jens Westerinen
03-10-2011, 02:59 PM
They sound good! Single coil pickups do not cancel Hum when soloed or mixed from center 50/50. That is the whole point of humbuckers, to get rid of the 60 cycle hum. Why would anyone want to BUY Hum? I don't get it!

Ok but do they sound like single coils or do they sound like your humbuckers?

Ken Smith
03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Ok but do they sound like single coils or do they sound like your humbuckers?

Who's to say unless you try actual SC's in the 'exact' same bass.

I have no idea. SC's have 60 cycle hum individually. Our stacked Js do not! That in itself is better. Also, not every bass with SC's sound the same either but, the Hum is still there.

Jens Westerinen
03-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Who's to say unless you try actual SC's in the 'exact' same bass.

I have no idea. SC's have 60 cycle hum individually. Our stacked Js do not! That in itself is better. Also, not every bass with SC's sound the same either but, the Hum is still there.

I understand that but isn't it possible to say if they tend to sound like sc's or more like your (KS)humbuckers?
What's the purpose with offering these stacked J's? Is it to offer a pickup that's made to sound different from your humbuckers or your humbuckers in a slimmer "package"?

I'm asking because I'm thinking about puttin' your J's in my Burner instead of the Fender noisless pu's that's in it now but wonder if it will make it sound more like a real KS or if it pretty much will sound the same.

Ken Smith
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I understand that but isn't it possible to say if they tend to sound like sc's or more like your (KS)humbuckers?
What's the purpose with offering these stacked J's? Is it to offer a pickup that's made to sound different from your humbuckers or your humbuckers in a slimmer "package"?

I'm asking because I'm thinking about puttin' your J's in my Burner instead of the Fender noisless pu's that's in it now but wonder if it will make it sound more like a real KS or if it pretty much will sound the same.

Ok, so to answer that, they sound more like Js than the big Humbuckers because they ARE Js, but with 2 coils to be humbucking. The HB Soaps we have are totally different Guts than a J type PU. They are basically one version of a J.

Jens Westerinen
03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Ok, thank you very much for quick answers!
That's what I guessed but wasn't sure since I've never tried any.
Thanks again.