PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit Bows on Ebay

Arnold Schnitzer
01-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Every so often I peruse Ebay just for the heck of it. I've occasionally bought something, usually an accessory. I've noticed that lately there is an abundance of bows with "names" on sale. Many are described as "stamped" with famous-maker names, such as Pfretschner or Morizot, etc. Right now there is a "Louis Bazin" for $325. Recently I e-mailed a seller of a "famous-name" bow, and asked if he/she would guarantee that the bow in question was authentic. The response was "I guarantee only that the bow is stamped with that name". I'd like to know how people are getting away with this crap. It's infuriating! Caveat Emptor.

Ken Smith
01-17-2010, 10:23 PM
It's easy. Just guarantee that the spelling is correct. :p

Martin Sheridan
01-24-2010, 04:27 PM
It's shameful that Ebay doesn't police itself better. I've seen more fraud on Ebay. Last year a very well respected American maker tried to get them to take off a listing for a cello with his name that he didn't make. He was unsuccessful. If the maker himself can't get Ebay to remove a fraudulent listing, there's not much hope. For some reason many instruments with spurious labels are coming from sources in Germany.

Wyatt Newman
04-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Be very cautious when using Ebay. They have a co-company called Paypal that also uses questionable internet tactics and will not assist when a customer gets scammed. More and more reputable sellers are shying away for Ebay. IMO half of the sellers there now don't know (or act like they don't know) anything about their product. One day all that will be left there are the con artist.