PDA

View Full Version : 1989 KSB...What Model Is It?

Tim MacCabe
01-23-2010, 03:50 PM
So I've had this bass for seventeen years and I've never known what model it is. It's serial number is 89555. I'd also be interest to know what it might be worth. Not selling, just curious. They'll have to pry this bass from my cold dead hands. We've shared too much to ever part ways now. I would appreciate any insight.

Tim Bishop
01-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, Ken will be the best authority on ID'ng this bass.

My thoughts: The model looks to be a BT model. The neck is 3 pc maple with ebony fretboard. The body looks to be a solid 1 pc. Zebrawood (not certain) or Koa body. The controls are, volume, p/u blend, treble over bass.

Without seeing the inside of the pre-amp cavity, everything else looks to be all-original.

Tim MacCabe
01-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah, its all original. It was more or less given to me ($500) by the first owner. He was my "bass mentor," a.k.a the guy who turned me on, and I had sort of salivated over it for six years until he finally broke down and gave it to me. Thanks for the ID. The volume is a passive/active switch if that matters as to which model it is...

Tim Bishop
01-24-2010, 09:24 PM
....The volume is a passive/active switch if that matters as to which model it is...Yes, of course: Forgot to note the passive/active on the Volume Control. Doesn't matter: It doesn't define the model.

Tim Bishop
01-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah, its all original. It was more or less given to me ($500) by the first owner....Wow! What a deal!

Ken Smith
01-24-2010, 11:21 PM
BT 4-string I think. Maybe the basic model then with 3-pc neck. I don't know if we Graphite in them either, maybe not. The body looks like solid Koa. We made a bunch of these in Koa, Walnut and Maple from what I remember. This one is 1989.

Tim MacCabe
01-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks to both of you for your input! Its been a nagging question that I've just never bothered to investigate until now. This forum is a great resource for us more technically challenged folks. And yes Tim, $500 is giving it away as far as I'm concerned. I think my friend Terry just wanted to see me get my first REALLY NICE bass. Again, thanks!