PDA

View Full Version : Annoying fret buzz

Maurice Hason
02-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Hello, it's been a while since I was on board and I would like to ask a professional opinion before making any changes to my bass.

I purchased my BT6 five months ago, new, and it played excellent, very low action and not fret buzz at all.

Unfortunately, due to a family tragedy I didn't play at all for 2 months.

Now that I picked up the bass again, I have a buzz between frets 10 to 15. It sounds like the notes are chocking.

This is mainly on the C and G strings, but also appears on the lower strings but less severe. On the C and G strings this is really annoying and unplayable.

I assume this has to do with climate change, temperature and humidity, and it can probably be solved by tuning the neck. I am comfortable with tuning the neck, I always setup my basses on my own, but I wanted to be sure before making any changes.

Observing the neck relief from the tunes down to the body, it has a vary small bow on the B-string side, and even a smaller (almost flat) on the C-string side.

Thanks in advance,
Maurice

Ken Smith
02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Hello, it's been a while since I was on board and I would like to ask a professional opinion before making any changes to my bass.

I purchased my BT6 five months ago, new, and it played excellent, very low action and not fret buzz at all.

Unfortunately, due to a family tragedy I didn't play at all for 2 months.

Now that I picked up the bass again, I have a buzz between frets 10 to 15. It sounds like the notes are chocking.

This is mainly on the C and G strings, but also appears on the lower strings but less severe. On the C and G strings this is really annoying and unplayable.

I assume this has to do with climate change, temperature and humidity, and it can probably be solved by tuning the neck. I am comfortable with tuning the neck, I always setup my basses on my own, but I wanted to be sure before making any changes.

Observing the neck relief from the tunes down to the body, it has a vary small bow on the B-string side, and even a smaller (almost flat) on the C-string side.

Thanks in advance,
Maurice

You can only really check a neck with a machinist's straight edge. Any other side view picks up the fret bevel as well distorting the view. No way you can tell for sure with string reflection and fret crown what the neck is really doing or to the degree.

Tim Bishop
02-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Without seeing the bass, it's difficult to pin-point and be precise with an answer.

However, depending on condition of frets and how you store your bass when you are not playing it could be a factor. I always store my bass in the OHSC in a controlled environment when not in use. Smith necks are VERY stable, however, if exposed to the elements (i.e. humidity, temp changes, etc.) any instrument will pay the price. Sounds like you need a correct set-up. An appropriate neck and bridge adjustment most likely will correct your issue.

Maurice Hason
02-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Without seeing the bass, it's difficult to pin-point and be precise with an answer.

However, depending on condition of frets and how you store your bass when you are not playing it could be a factor. I always store my bass in the OHSC in a controlled environment when not in use. Smith necks are VERY stable, however, if exposed to the elements (i.e. humidity, temp changes, etc.) any instrument will pay the price. Sounds like you need a correct set-up. An appropriate neck and bridge adjustment most likely will correct your issue.

The bass was 2 months in the original OHSC. It played excellent before, not a single buzz, so I don't understand what can be the reason for this change all by itself.

Tim Bishop
02-10-2010, 12:36 PM
The bass was 2 months in the original OHSC. It played excellent before, not a single buzz, so I don't understand what can be the reason for this change all by itself.Again, temp changes (i.e. humidity, heat and cold, etc.). It doesn't matter if the bass is a day old. If you expose it to undesirable elements, you should expect an adverse reaction. Again, sounds like you need a correct set-up to correct it. It's really that simple.

Tim Bishop
02-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Another thought, since the bass is new. Maybe the bass has settled from sitting unplayed for awhile. Again, nothing a correct set-up from a qualified individual couldn't easily correct.

Tim Bishop
02-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Just curious. Is the finish on the bass lacquer or oil?

Maurice Hason
02-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Just curious. Is the finish on the bass lacquer or oil?

It has an oil finish

Tim Bishop
02-10-2010, 04:38 PM
That's what I suspected. That's my favorite finish. :)

Get yourself a correct set-up and you'll be good to go. Then, be sure to properly care for it going forward.

Tim Bishop
02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Did the bass come new with Smith Medium Taper Core Strings?

Maurice Hason
02-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Did the bass come new with Smith Medium Taper Core Strings?

Yes, I didn't change the strings yet since I got it.
I am taking good care of the bass. The weather here changed radically during the last few weeks. The bass was always in the case but it seems like the climate change did its part anyway.

Tim Bishop
02-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I am taking good care of the bass. The weather here changed radically during the last few weeks. The bass was always in the case but it seems like the climate change did its part anyway.
Well, at least you had it in the case! That's a good thing. Yeah, sounds like the "radical" climate change played its part.

Also, if you like the Smith Medium Taper Cores (and I can't imagine why you wouldn't), use the same strings and gauge going forward, other-wise, prepare for another set-up to accomodate the different strings/gauge. Ken does a nice set-up and the Smith Medium Taper Cores are the perfect match for any Smith bass. So any tweeking you do, should be minimal, using the same strings.

Ken Smith
02-10-2010, 06:11 PM

The bass which is made mainly from wood like most instruments is affected by drastic and sudden climate and humidity changes. I would say the humidity is a bigger problem than the temperature. If you can humidify the room where the bass is kept to about 35% minimum about 50% maximum it will help the stability of the neck and all the glue joints overall. We have similar problems from time to time after basses are completed and sitting in stock or in set-up. Usually a slight 'specific' area fret dress handles the most sever problems as well as fret edges which is the most common problem when we have one. Basses are usually only strung up from a few minutes to a day or so before going into the case and then shipped. I am not there to examine the bass so I can't advise you exactly what needs to be done in your case.