PDA

View Full Version : Gospel Players Corner

Albert Smith
02-24-2007, 11:26 AM
One thing I know for a fact is that Ken Smith Basses are among the most commonly played axes in Gospel music today. If you watch or are blessed to participate in any of the numerous Gospel concerts of late you will undoubtedly see a Ken Smith Bass. So I'm reaching out to my fellow Gospel music bottom lovers to show your axes, post a bit about the person, group or choir that has influenced your style of playing, as well as the type of Gospel music you play. (example: Praise & worship, Traditional)

Tim Bishop
03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
One thing I know for a fact is that Ken Smith Basses are among the most commonly played axes in Gospel music today. If you watch or are blessed to participate in any of the numerous Gospel concerts of late you will undoubtedly see a Ken Smith Bass. So I'm reaching out to my fellow Gospel music bottom lovers to show your axes, post a bit about the person, group or choir that has influenced your style of playing, as well as the type of Gospel music you play. (example: Praise & worship, Traditional)

I agree Albert. Our fellow bass players are finding there is nothing like a Smith! I have traveled all over the country playing at some very large venues. I have been blessed to have had and have the opportunity to play with some of the biggest names in Contemporary Christian Music. My heart, however, is with the Praise & Worship music as we know it today. There is simply nothing like going to the Throne of a Holy Spirit lead Praise & Worship experience. I can easily say this because I've played on both sides of the fence. Know what I mean?

Most of my influences came from too many names to mention. All from the Secular side and many from the 70's. Off the top of my head: James Jamerson (Motown/Funk Brothers), Roco Prestia (Tower Of Power), Pete Cetera (Chicago), Dave Hope (Kansas), Stanley Clarke, Jeff Berlin, David Margin (Santana), Jimmy Sloas, on and on I could go, but I would be up for the next week trying to ID all of them. A ton of talent out there and my thanks to all those who contributed.

One of these days I will try to post some of my photo's. My collection is extensive, so, it would take much time. I'll work towards that as I free up more time.

Great Thread Albert!

In His grasp,

Tim B.

Ronson Hall
03-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Gentlemen,

I wholeheartedly concur with both of you!

I am an excusive Gospel & Praise Music bass player now, as I am the bass player for our church band (known affectionately as "The "E" Street Band"), and the Senior Pastor of our church! I agree, in that I have never played anything quite like a Ken Smith.

I am patiently (yeah, right!) awaiting the completion and delivery of my very first Ken Smith Bass!!! It's a BSR 5 MW Cocobolo over Tiger Maple beauty. It has a 3-piece neck, 3-band EQ, Morado fingerboard, with a Cocobolo headstock. :D

Our 10th Church Anniversary is March 25th, and I'm hoping I will have it by then. In the meantime, I'll mostly read your posts until the Lord blesses me with mine, then I'll jump in with both feet!

Blessings to you.

www.TrueLightSA.com (http://www.TrueLightSA.com)

Albert Smith
03-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Tim, thank you for sharing you experiences and your influences, I'm most definitely not as experienced as you, but you inspire me through your post to stay in the shed and to define my style of expressing the music inside of me through my "Smith" bass. I hope to see a thread up soon that contains tips that bless us with knowledge such as yours when it comes to developing bass lines and feeling the groove. Great post Tim and don't be a stranger in this thread.

Tim Bishop
03-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Ronson, I'm excited for you and you chose great wood choices! Can't wait to hear what you think about it!

Tim Bishop
03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Tim, thank you for sharing you experiences and your influences, I'm most definitely not as experienced as you, but you inspire me through your post to stay in the shed and to define my style of expressing the music inside of me through my "Smith" bass. I hope to see a thread up soon that contains tips that bless us with knowledge such as yours when it comes to developing bass lines and feeling the groove. Great post Tim and don't be a stranger in this thread.

My Pleasure Albert. I am glad you started this thread. Wish I would have thought of it!

Stay in the pocket on this side of heaven!

Tim B.

Albert Smith
03-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Gentlemen,

I am an exclusive Gospel & Praise Music bass player now, as I am the bass player for our church band (known affectionately as "The "E" Street Band"), and the Senior Pastor of our church! I agree, in that I have never played anything quite like a Ken Smith.

I am patiently (yeah, right!) awaiting the completion and delivery of my very first Ken Smith Bass!!! It's a BSR 5 MW Cocobolo over Tiger Maple beauty. It has a 3-piece neck, 3-band EQ, Morado fingerboard, with a Cocobolo headstock. :D

Our 10th Church Anniversary is March 25th, and I'm hoping I will have it by then. In the meantime, I'll mostly read your posts until the Lord blesses me with mine, then I'll jump in with both feet!

Blessings to you.

Hello Ron, I totally understand where your coming from, receiving your first "Smith" bass is a monumental event. I also am waiting for Ken to repair the neck on my CR6 six string bass, I can hardly wait to get it back. But I hope you receive your new "Smith" prior to your church anniversary, and knowing Ken he will do everything he can to ensure that happens.

Ronson Hall
03-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Ronson, I'm excited for you and you chose great wood choices! Can't wait to hear what you think about it!

Thank you, Tim!

You sound like a pretty experienced player, so I look forward to reading your stuff in the future. God bless you real good! :)

Tim Bishop
03-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks Ronson. I look forward to hearing your report on your new bass!

Albert Smith
03-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Gentlemen,

I am an excusive Gospel & Praise Music bass player now, as I am the bass player for our church band (known affectionately as "The "E" Street Band"), and the Senior Pastor of our church! I agree, in that I have never played anything quite like a Ken Smith.

Blessings to you.

Ron make sure you post some shots of the new axe once you receive it, I'd love to see it and I'm sure the rest of the "Smith" lovers will too.

Tim Bishop
03-12-2007, 12:33 AM

Blessings to you.

The 25th. is getting closer!

Ronson Hall
03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
I've got my newest compadres Albert & Tim rooting for me (and you), so I'm looking for my first Ken Smith Bass very soon! :D

Tim Bishop
03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Don, if this happens, I'm putting you in my will (I'm leaving you my ten speed bike, 8 track tapes, and some even better stuff!) :)

Hey! What about Albert and Me? Can I have the Smith? :D

Ronson Hall
03-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey! What about Albert and Me? Can I have the Smith? :D

As you well know, Tim, when we take leave of this world, it's understood that we'l leave the way we came...naked, and with no material possesions.

However, my brother, concerning my new Ken Smith? I'll have to leave you and Al someting else, cuz...

I'm going to try to haul it in with me!!!!! :rolleyes: LOL!!

Tim Bishop
03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
As you well know, Tim, when we take leave of this world, it's understood that we'l leave the way we came...naked, and with no material possesions.

However, my brother, concerning my new Ken Smith? I'll have to leave you and Al someting else, cuz...

I'm going to try to haul it in with me!!!!! :rolleyes: LOL!!

Too funny! Just make sure the box is big enough!

Albert Smith
03-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Too funny! Just make sure the box is big enough!

You guys are off the chain, but I can understand once you get a "Smith Bass" its kind of hard to let go of it. Ron, Tim, we got to hook up sometime soon to fellowship, trade chops and grow.
Al :D

Tim Bishop
03-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I can understand once you get a "Smith Bass" its kind of hard to let go of it. Ron, Tim, we got to hook up sometime soon to fellowship, trade chops and grow.
Al :D

The last of the 10 Commandments is "Thou Shall Not Covet".

The last of the 10 Commandments paraphrased: Thou Shall Not Covet (unless it's a Smith Bass). Surely our omniscient God meant it to be this way! :D

Albert Smith
03-13-2007, 10:41 AM
The last of the 10 Commandments is "Thou Shall Not Covet".

The last of the 10 Commandments paraphrased: Thou Shall Not Covet (unless it's a Smith Bass). Surely our omniscient God meant it to be this way! :D

LoL, you are so crazy Tim, Lord forgive him for he knows not what he's said. Besides I got first dibs on the Bass, age before chops. LOL.:D

Albert Smith
03-13-2007, 10:42 AM
LoL, you are so crazy Tim, Lord forgive him for he knows not what he's said. Besides I got first dibs on the Bass, age before chops. LOL.:D

And besides you and Ronson are both from Texas you have to have mercy on us boys up here in NY.;)

Ronson Hall
03-13-2007, 11:29 AM

To My Newest Ken Smith Buds (Al & Tim)

There are at least two (2) things you must observe, and govern yourselves by:

1. I haven't received my Ken Smith yet (any day now).

2. I ain't dead yet!

Please, please wait until I "check out," then quibble over my bass, OK? LOL!!! :rolleyes:

Tim Bishop
03-13-2007, 11:42 AM

2. I ain't dead yet!

Please, please wait until I "check out," then quibble over my bass, OK? LOL!!! :rolleyes:

Now, ya'll know I'm just trying to be a good steward by planning ahead! :D

Albert Smith
03-13-2007, 12:39 PM

2. I ain't dead yet!

Ronson, there's nothing wrong with having a plan in place, besides we dont want you to have to wait in state like Brother James Brown until its decided upon which one of us Tim or I receive the axe. LOL:p

Tim Bishop
03-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Ronson, we dont want you to have to wait in state like Brother James Brown until its decided upon which one of us Tim or I receive the axe. LOL:p

Na, won't be a problem. If the will is probated in Texas and since I live in Texas, the Smith would have to go to me. :cool:

Ronson Hall
03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Na, won't be a problem. If the will is probated in Texas and since I live in Texas, the Smith would have to go to me. :cool:

Ya know, I'm happy to have new Ken Smith compadres and all, but...That's just WRONG!! :p

Tim Bishop
03-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Ya know, I'm happy to have new Ken Smith compadres and all, but...That's just WRONG!! :p

Now Ronson, you know we're just playing with ya. :)

Ronson Hall
03-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Now Ronson, you know we're just playing with ya. :)

Come on now, Tim...Don't change horses now, just so you can keep me from hauling that baqss in the box with me! I'm up to your tricks!! :D

Tryin' to sweet talk me out of my bass...I ain't havin' it!!

Tim Bishop
03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Come on now, Tim...Don't change horses now, just so you can keep me from hauling that bass in the box with me! I'm up to your tricks!! :D

But Ronson, we live so close and there are so many horses which to choose! ;)

Albert Smith
03-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Come on now, Tim...Don't change horses now, just so you can keep me from hauling that baqss in the box with me! I'm up to your tricks!! :D

Ronson, I'm sure my brother Tim is in agreement with me as I state from the heart Gods blessing upon you and your new "Smith". I pray you minister in music so that others will come into the fold. I believe you will minister to those within the walls of your congregation and without. Be faithful in your calling and allow whats in your heart and mind to flow through the "Smith". Gods annointing upon you my brother. :cool:

Tim Bishop
03-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Ronson, I'm sure my brother Tim is in agreement with me as I state from the heart Gods blessing upon you and your new "Smith". I pray you minister in music so that others will come into the fold. I believe you will minister to those within the walls of your congregation and without. Be faithful in your calling and allow whats in your heart and mind to flow through the "Smith". Gods annointing upon you my brother. :cool:

You bet! I am in total agreement!!

Ronson Hall
03-14-2007, 06:48 PM

Of course you're right, Al! I appreciate the blessing form both you and Tim, and I hope we can all continue to rib & tease each other, as well as share valuable & edifying info with each other for a long time to come!

Blessings to ya'll (that's "Texas talk" to you, Al! ;) )

Tim Bishop
03-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Of course you're right, Al! I appreciate the blessing form both you and Tim, and I hope we can all continue to rib & tease each other, as well as share valuable & edifying info with each other for a long time to come!

Count on it!

So, what two Smith basses will be your choice down the road?

Ronson Hall
03-14-2007, 07:49 PM
So, what two Smith basses will be your choice down the road?

That's the question I'll be spending the next few months exploring, Tim. I started a thread in the "Woods & Components" section concerning a couple of the questions I'm beginning to toss around, so please go and contribute to my "enlightenment" when you get the chance.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a six-string (I don't own one, but have one on a long-term loan from a good friend/church member of mine), and some type of fretless, which I've always been intrigued with...:confused:

Tim Bishop
03-14-2007, 08:54 PM
That's the question I'll be spending the next few months exploring, Tim. I started a thread in the "Woods & Components" section concerning a couple of the questions I'm beginning to toss around, so please go and contribute to my "enlightenment" when you get the chance.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a six-string (I don't own one, but have one on a long-term loan from a good friend/church member of mine), and some type of fretless, which I've always been intrigued with...:confused:

I'm sorry, I see I didn't ask a clear question, however, I did respond to your new Thread.

Anyway......

What I meant to ask, and assuming you would go with the "neck-thru" models, was which model you are leaning towards (i.e. BSRGN, BSREG, The Elites, Black Tiger, etc..) :rolleyes:

Ronson Hall
03-15-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm sorry, I see I didn't ask a clear question, however, I did respond to your new Thread.

Anyway......

What I meant to ask, and assuming you would go with the "neck-thru" models, was which model you are leaning towards (i.e. BSRGN, BSREG, The Elites, Black Tiger, etc..) :rolleyes:

Tim, thanks for responding to my thread! I'm takin' all the info in...

And, right now, I'm leaning toward the Elites!! :D

Tim Bishop
03-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Tim, thanks for responding to my thread! I'm takin' all the info in...

And, right now, I'm leaning toward the Elites!! :D

That's a great direction to lean! :D

Albert Smith
03-15-2007, 10:26 AM

Ok, ok I guess I got to get ribbed a bit because I live in the Big Apple, but I'm not from the Big Apple, my roots are planted in Swainsboro Georgia by the way of Garfield GA, my father and mother were born and raised in GA, but later moved to NJ, that's when I came into the picture. I'm actually a NJ boy, I was raised up in a Pentecostal church in NJ . I moved to NY about 3 years ago when I met and married my lovely wife. The things you do for love.:p

Ronson Hall
03-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Ok, ok I guess I got to get ribbed a bit because I live in the Big Apple, but I'm not from the Big Apple, my roots are planted in Swainsboro Georgia by the way of Garfield GA, my father and mother were born and raised in GA, but later moved to NJ, that's when I came into the picture. I'm actually a NJ boy, I was raised up in a Pentecostal church in NJ . I moved to NY about 3 years ago when I met and married my lovely wife. The things you do for love.:p

A great story, Al. Blessings to you and your family.

So, you're actually a "Southerner" under the guise of a New Yorker, eh? That's good enough for me! :cool:

Tim Bishop
03-16-2007, 01:22 AM
A great story, Al. Blessings to you and your family.

So, you're actually a "Southerner" under the guise of a New Yorker, eh? That's good enough for me! :cool:

Yeah, but keep in mind I still live closer!;)

Albert Smith
03-16-2007, 07:46 AM

2. I ain't dead yet!

Ronson, today is the 16 of March, have gotten word that your axe is on the way:confused:

Ronson Hall
03-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Ronson, today is the 16 of March, have gotten word that your axe is on the way:confused:

Al, I'm going to call Don in a litttle bit and check the status. I was in rehearsal last night and I was imagining having my Smith through these two particular songs (Apostle Donald R. Alford praise tunes).

Man, I am almost giddy with anticipation! :D

Tim Bishop
03-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Al, I'm going to call Don in a litttle bit and check the status. I was in rehearsal last night and I was imagining having my Smith through these two particular songs (Apostle Donald R. Alford praise tunes).

Man, I am almost giddy with anticipation! :D

Ronson, do you have any photo's of your new bass at this time?

Ronson Hall
03-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Ronson, do you have any photo's of your new bass at this time?

No Tim, no photos yet. And I just talked to Ken, and they're in the middle of a bad ice storm! :( He told me they're just waiting on my bridge (although they've already done the setup on my bass using another bridge).

As soon as they get it (praying for Monday or Tuesday), then it's shipping to me! :cool:

Tim Bishop
03-16-2007, 03:25 PM
No Tim, no photos yet. And I just talked to Ken, and they're in the middle of a bad ice storm! :( He told me they're just waiting on my bridge (although they've already done the setup on my bass using another bridge).

As soon as they get it (praying for Monday or Tuesday), then it's shipping to me! :cool:

Ken uses UPS, it's a 3 day shipping turn-around from there to here. I'll bet you get it in time. You needed it by the 25th., right?

I use to live in that part of the country. I love the Fall weather up there, and even the Winter (but to a point). They have just been hammered this year with bad weather!

Well, I think Ken should just move his shop to Texas, what do you think? :D

Ronson Hall
03-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Ken uses UPS, it's a 3 day shipping turn-around from there to here. I'll bet you get it in time. You needed it by the 25th., right?

I use to live in that part of the country. I love the Fall weather up there, and even the Winter (but to a point). They have just been hammered this year with bad weather!

Well, I think Ken should just move his shop to Texas, what do you think? :D

Man, wouldn't that be somethin' else? If that ever happened, I'd feel obligated to purchase a Smith at least once a year, huh?

Tim, when you get a chance, tell me what kind of music you're playing with your church groups right now, and what the choirs are singing (Traditional? Contemporary?).

Tim Bishop
03-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Man, wouldn't that be somethin' else? If that ever happened, I'd feel obligated to purchase a Smith at least once a year, huh?

Tim, when you get a chance, tell me what kind of music you're playing with your church groups right now, and what the choirs are singing (Traditional? Contemporary?).

Just one Group, no Choir (we do have a 3pc. vocal team though).

Currently, I play and lead Worship with Tom Davis (former Platinum award winning Producer for Vineyard Music). While we do many of the tunes that Tom has written and published, we mainly live in the "Contemporary Worship" realm and that would include Artist to numerous to mention. If you have access to CCLI, you can get all that info there.

As a group, we also lead Worship at other Churches and/or Church sponsored Conferences. The last couple of weeks have been really busy as we played at a very large Conference and completed studio work on the latest CD.

Well, that's it in a nutshell.

Albert Smith
03-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Bottom lovers, I'd like to know your personal preferences when it comes to playing the bass within the gospel realm, do you find yourself playing more slap style, or traditional fingering style, or muted palm style in your respective worship services? Personally I find myself using all three of these techniques as the music seems to be incorporating more R&B rhythms. I use more traditional fingering when I'm playing quartet style gospel music.

Tim Bishop
03-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Bottom lovers, I'd like to know your personal preferences when it comes to playing the bass within the gospel realm, do you find yourself playing more slap style, or traditional fingering style, or muted palm style in your respective worship services? Personally I find myself using all three of these techniques as the music seems to be incorporating more R&B rhythms. I use more traditional fingering when I'm playing quartet style gospel music.

"Bottom lovers"?.....we are talking about bass here, right? LOL! :D

All of them Albert; for me, mainly fingering but no limitations! I also like to incorporate harmonics, and, depending on the tune, some effects. While I'm not a huge fan of effects on bass, I find at times a tune does call for them and they can add another dimension. ;)

Albert Smith
03-21-2007, 01:31 PM
"Bottom lovers"?.....we are talking about bass here, right? LOL! :D

All of them Albert; for me, mainly fingering but no limitations! I also like to incorporate harmonics, and, depending on the tune, some effects. While I'm not a huge fan of effects on bass, I find at times a tune does call for them and they can add another dimension. ;)

Your so bad, yes I'm referring to a Bass Guitar Low "B" bottom (this is a Gospel thread) I to like the harmonics incorporated into the bass line as well, it adds a certain flavor if performed with accuracy (referring back to one of your responses on another thread) sloppy playing just dosen't cut it when trying to lay down a groove and then stick it with a harmonic stop or slide.;)

Tim Bishop
03-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Your so bad, yes I'm referring to a Bass Guitar Low "B" bottom (this is a Gospel thread) I to like the harmonics incorporated into the bass line as well, it adds a certain flavor if performed with accuracy (referring back to one of your responses on another thread) sloppy playing just dosen't cut it when trying to lay down a groove and then stick it with a harmonic stop or slide.;)

Sorry Albert, the flesh got the best of me: You served it up and I couldn't resist the return! :rolleyes:

By the way, the "sloppy playing" I was referring to was related to using effects with bass. ;)

Albert Smith
03-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Sorry Albert, the flesh got the best of me: You served it up and I couldn't resist the return! :rolleyes:

By the way, the "sloppy playing" I was referring to was related to using effects with bass. ;)

Granted but I'm sure we can all relate back to a time where our playing was not at a level we were proud of (sloppy playing) it takes dedication and perseverance to force our fingers to react to the information our heart and brain are attempting to convey to them.:rolleyes:

Tim Bishop
03-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Granted but I'm sure we can all relate back to a time where our playing was not at a level we were proud of (sloppy playing) it takes dedication and perseverance to force our fingers to react to the information our heart and brain are attempting to convey to them.:rolleyes:

Yes, but making the mistakes "live" or falling into a "sloppy" moment are all a part of growth (past or present). There is no escaping it! ;)

Albert Smith
03-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Yes, but making the mistakes "live" or falling into a "sloppy" moment are all a part of growth (past or present). There is no escaping it! ;)

My Brother you have spoken the truth yet again!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

David Wolliston
03-22-2007, 06:07 AM
hello Gents,

i play at my church here in good ole england, they have a church bass that i would use (yamaha 5 string) there is 3 bass players, so we usually rotate....at times i get in the rut where i want to give up playing because i feel like i'm not progressing...i'm sure everyone's been through that stage....thats not really the reason why i'm selling my bass because i am actually in the process of getting a 5 string to continue my playing... I don't think i have the ability right now to maximize the abilities it takes to use the Smith to its full potential. I did however buy the bass before i left the states because i knew it was the best bass out there and that it would be much cheaper to buy in the states than in england... I come across loads of people that don't want to share knowledge or even help out in the learning process...so it seems like its a one man kind of learning process....and it can become frustrating...how did you guys get out of that rut, if ya ever been in that position?

Albert Smith
03-22-2007, 08:09 AM
hello Gents,

i play at my church here in good ole england, they have a church bass that i would use (yamaha 5 string) there is 3 bass players, so we usually rotate....at times i get in the rut where i want to give up playing because i feel like i'm not progressing...i'm sure everyone's been through that stage....thats not really the reason why i'm selling my bass because i am actually in the process of getting a 5 string to continue my playing... I don't think i have the ability right now to maximize the abilities it takes to use the Smith to its full potential. I did however buy the bass before i left the states because i knew it was the best bass out there and that it would be much cheaper to buy in the states than in england... I come across loads of people that don't want to share knowledge or even help out in the learning process...so it seems like its a one man kind of learning process....and it can become frustrating...how did you guys get out of that rut, if ya ever been in that position?

I'm disturb to hear that, in my demographic area I must say that Bass players are only to happy to get together and share wood shedding techniques. The majority of Bass players are the most cognitive people on the earth, they truly enjoy thier gift, and yes at times we can feel a bit stagnated with our abilities, but that in itself shows growth. Bass players for the longest have always been held in the back ground, told to stay in the pocket and let the lead/rhytym guitatist hold down the flow, but of late the Bass has taken the lead spot allowing the bassist to express him/her self like never before, so hang in there and if your fellow bassist in your congregation are stingy with sharing the knowledge, pray for them, then lock your self in the shed and create, allow what your feeling to be manifested through your axe.
God bless.
Al:rolleyes:

David Wolliston
03-22-2007, 08:14 AM
lovely...thats what i've been doing of late is just puttiing in some shed time.......i think i asked the same question in the private message you sent but no worries...

thanks again

d

Tim Bishop
03-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Bass players for the longest have always been held in the back ground, told to stay in the pocket and let the lead/rhytym guitatist hold down the flow

"Held in the background???? Hmmm, not in my book! Drums and bass are the core; the foundation. It is from this everything else is built. Anyone saying that any other instrument is to "hold down the flow", is either clueless or probably the instrumentalist other than the bass or drums. ;)

Albert Smith
03-27-2007, 09:44 AM
"Held in the background???? Hmmm, not in my book! Drums and bass are the core; the foundation. It is from this everything else is built. Anyone saying that any other instrument is to "hold down the flow", is either clueless or probably the instrumentalist other than the bass or drums. ;)

Hey my brother I feel ya, but in the days of old the bass player not only stood in the background, he/she was considered the background. I'm glad that in this day in age the contributions of bass players old and new are now being recognized. :D

Tim Bishop
03-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey my brother I feel ya, but in the days of old the bass player not only stood in the background, he/she was considered the background. I'm glad that in this day in age the contributions of bass players old and new are now being recognized. :D

They may have stood or been considered the background, but the reality of it was and is, they were anything but that! The beauty of this is knowing now what we didn't choose to recognize then. Those players were and are the reason and influence's of why we do what we do today.

For me personally, you could place me in the back room, give me the mix I need in my ears and in the house, let me play and I would be perfectly ok with that. I promise you this, there would be no question as to whether or not you had a bass player in the house; that is, until you removed it. ;)

Albert Smith
03-27-2007, 11:32 AM
They may have stood or been considered the background, but the reality of it was and is, they were anything but that! The beauty of this is knowing now what we didn't choose to recognize then. Those players were and are the reason and influence's of why we do what we do today.

For me personally, you could place me in the back room, give me the mix I need in my ears and in the house, let me play and I would be perfectly ok with that. I promise you this, there would be no question as to whether or not you had a bass player in the house; that is, until you removed it. ;)

I can DIG-IT, stand up and feel the rumble. :cool:

Albert Smith
03-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Tim/Ronson, you both live in Texas, would you say that amoung the bassist in your area the Bass of choice is a Smith? if not then what type of bass do you most commonly see when you venture out on your engagements?

Tim Bishop
03-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Tim/Ronson, you both live in Texas, would you say that amoung the bassist in your area the Bass of choice is a Smith? if not then what type of bass do you most commonly see when you venture out on your engagements?

No, I wouldn't say it's a Smith and I would attribute this to simply a lack of knowledge of the Smith bass in this area. I don't see one dominant choice at this time. At least not yet. Ken, are you reading this???

I am doing my part though to convert and it is having some impact! ;) Locally, I get calls from players interested in Smiths through those that know me and know I play Smiths exclusively. Given the extensive collection I have and have had, I have been able to fix them up! :)

Also, with the exposure I get playing and recording, I connect with those curious about my choice in bass. Of course, while they can see and hear the difference, I do share my feelings on the matter......:rolleyes: I even get calls from outside the state of Texas for the same reasons I stated above!

Albert Smith
03-28-2007, 12:02 PM
No, I wouldn't say it's a Smith and I would attribute this to simply a lack of knowledge of the Smith bass in this area. I don't see one dominant choice at this time. At least not yet. Ken, are you reading this???

I am doing my part though to convert and it is having some impact! ;) Locally, I get calls from players interested in Smiths through those that know me and know I play Smiths exclusively. Given the extensive collection I have and have had, I have been able to fix them up! :)

Also, with the exposure I get playing and recording, I connect with those curious about my choice in bass. Of course, while they can see and hear the difference, I do share my feelings on the matter......:rolleyes: I even get calls from outside the state of Texas for the same reasons I stated above!

That was the original intent of my question, since I have been playing exclusively "Smith" basses, all my fellow bassist from neighboring churches have had an increased interest in "Smith" basses. They love the rich smooth sound that eludes from my WBT 5 Elite and they love the neck through design. In NY Ken Smith is very well known.

Albert Smith
03-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Ronson what's the latest? is the new born "Smith" on its way :confused:

Tim Bishop
03-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Ronson what's the latest? is the new born "Smith" on its way :confused:

At this time, Ronson is still in the 'patiently waiting' mode. Bridge not in yet. :(

Albert Smith
03-31-2007, 05:51 PM
At this time, Ronson is still in the 'patiently waiting' mode. Bridge not in yet. :(

Thanks Tim, What's next on the schedule for your "Smith" axes ? are you back in the shed or the studio? also do you have any samples or mpegs posted anywhere so I can check out the master in action? Break a brother off a little sample.

Tim Bishop
03-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks Tim, What's next on the schedule for your "Smith" axes ? are you back in the shed or the studio? also do you have any samples or mpegs posted anywhere so I can check out the master in action? Break a brother off a little sample.

What's next? Other than playing weekly, nothing else in the works at this time. I've been busy this past several weeks with the purchase of some land (for future use). Just closed this past Wednesday, so, now it's back to the Bassics of life. Sorry, no samples to "break-off" at this time. ;)

Albert Smith
04-01-2007, 07:47 AM
What's next? Other than playing weekly, nothing else in the works at this time. I've been busy this past several weeks with the purchase of some land (for future use). Just closed this past Wednesday, so, now it's back to the Bassics of life. Sorry, no samples to "break-off" at this time. ;)

Congrats on owning a piece of the rock, nothing like cutting your own grass, I assume the purchase is in the buckeye state. Well I got to get ready for P&W this palm Sunday so I'll get at ya later. Gods blessings upon you and yours.
Al :rolleyes:

Tim Bishop
04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Congrats on owning a piece of the rock, nothing like cutting your own grass, I assume the purchase is in the buckeye state. Well I got to get ready for P&W this palm Sunday so I'll get at ya later. Gods blessings upon you and yours.
Al :rolleyes:

The Buckeye State? Why would you assume this? :confused:

Albert Smith
04-02-2007, 11:09 PM
The Buckeye State? Why would you assume this? :confused:

Ok, my demograhics must be off, what's Texas referred as? :confused:

Tim Bishop
04-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Ok, my demograhics must be off, what's Texas referred as? :confused:

Well, it's funny you referred to the "Buckeye State" because I am from Ohio and I don't know how you could have possibly known that. :confused:

I think Texas is known as the "Hotter-Than-Hell" State....... :eek: .......better known as the "Lone Star State".

Ronson Hall
04-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Well, it's funny you referred to the "Buckeye State" because I am from Ohio and I don't know how you could have possibly know that. :confused:

I think Texas is known as the "Hotter-Than-Hell" State....... :eek: .......better known as the "Lone Star State".

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I was just thinking that today...87 degrees! :eek:

Albert Smith
04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I was just thinking that today...87 degrees! :eek:

Tim/Ronson I guess I put myself on blast on that one, things have been really crazy lately for the old NY boy, Just remember though I live in NY, I'm a country boy. Pray for me I need the prayers of the faithful right about now, It seems to be my season to weather the storm.
Al :o

Albert Smith
04-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I got the call today my CR 6 six string bass is on it's way home to Papa :D

Ronson Hall
04-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Tim/Ronson I guess I put myself on blast on that one, things have been really crazy lately for the old NY boy, Just remember though I live in NY, I'm a country boy. Pray for me I need the prayers of the faithful right about now, It seems to be my season to weather the storm.
Al :o

Hey Al, I'm praying for you right now...

And, I got the call as well...My newest girl (Ken Smith Bass) is on the way! Photos to follow ASAP...:cool:

Tim Bishop
04-03-2007, 04:22 PM

And, I got the call as well...My newest girl (Ken Smith Bass) is on the way! Photos to follow ASAP...:cool:

Well, well, I suspect we have a couple happy men this week, huh?? :D:D

Albert Smith
04-03-2007, 05:46 PM

I receive that, and believe it as well, Ronson I don't know who I should be happier for you or myself, how about both. I thank you for your prayer I know it works I can feel the burden lifting as I type this response. I know the new "Smith" with be ministering as soon as this weekend. God had it planned that you should receive it in his appointed time.

Tim Bishop
04-03-2007, 10:52 PM
I receive that, and believe it as well, Ronson I don't know who I should be happier for you or myself, how about both. I thank you for your prayer I know it works I can feel the burden lifting as I type this response. I know the new "Smith" with be ministering as soon as this weekend. God had it planned that you should receive it in his appointed time.

Always remember!

Php 4:6......Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. ;)

I constantly have to remind myself of this! :rolleyes:

Albert Smith
04-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Always remember!

Php 4:6......Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. ;)

I constantly have to remind myself of this! :rolleyes:

Excellent verses for me to reflect on, thank you for your wisdom and direction. I need to take a step back and let God do what he does best.
Al :)

Ronson Hall
04-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Excellent verses for me to reflect on, thank you for your wisdom and direction. I need to take a step back and let God do what he does best.

Excellent verse indeed, Tim. And,, may I add, an excellent response to the heart of the verse, Al! ;)

By the way, my Smith is in my town...somewhere! :cool:

Albert Smith
04-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Excellent verse indeed, Tim. And,, may I add, an excellent response to the heart of the verse, Al! ;)

By the way, my Smith is in my town...somewhere! :cool:

Its a great thing when men can fellowship one with another, I thank God for my newly founded "Smith" brothers.
Your wisdon, knowledge and bass skills collectively have enriched my life since inception. I thank you for who you both are.

Albert Smith
04-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Ronson, I noticed in the email you sent me the photos were in bitmap format, you might try using the jpeg format instead. Most photos upload faster and clearer in this format. Anyway the offer still stands, give me a call and I'll do my best to assist you in posting your new "Smith".

Ronson Hall
04-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Ronson, I noticed in the email you sent me the photos were in bitmap format, you might try using the jpeg format instead. Most photos upload faster and clearer in this format. Anyway the offer still stands, give me a call and I'll do my best to assist you in posting your new "Smith".

Thanks for the tip, Al. I'll try to convert them...:cool:

Tim Bishop
04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the tip, Al. I'll try to convert them...:cool:

So, Ronson, have you posted them to the "Show Your Smith's" thread yet?

Albert Smith
04-09-2007, 11:22 AM

Tim, that's a work in progress at the present time I'm sure by the weeks end Ronson will have the posting thing down pat. Ronson called me Saturday but I had the head phones on doing a whole lot of shedding and I missed the call. I called him back and left a message. :D

Ronson Hall
04-09-2007, 11:58 AM

I'm working on it, Tim!

I'm having some severe "Error 500 - Internal Error" messages when I try to post my photos. Al is trying to give me a hand in solving the mystery, as well as Ken's son (and computer guru), Mike.

By the way, Al: I went back and checked the photos, and they show that they are JPEG on this end! Hmmmmm...:confused:

I also want to post in the "Musicians & Artists" section on the Ken Smith Basses web site, so I really want to figure this problem out quickly! :)

Mike Smith
04-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm working on it, Tim!

I'm having some severe "Error 500 - Internal Error" messages when I try to post my photos. Al is trying to give me a hand in solving the mystery, as well as Ken's son (and computer guru), Mike.

By the way, Al: I went back and checked the photos, and they show that they are JPEG on this end! Hmmmmm...:confused:

I also want to post in the "Musicians & Artists" section on the Ken Smith Basses web site, so I really want to figure this problem out quickly! :)

Attachments are up there for you now Ronson. Here's your post (http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?p=2947#post2947).

Ronson Hall
04-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Attachments are up there for you now Ronson. Here's your post (http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?p=2947#post2947).

Mike, thanks! The post looks great! Now, if I can just learn to do that myself...:eek:

Albert Smith
04-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Mike, thanks! The post looks great! Now, if I can just learn to do that myself...:eek:

Ok Ronson, where's The Beef? where did you post the shots? I've been looking for them all over the forum. Help me out here, from the message to Mike I'm assuming Mike posted them for you, so direct me to where they are posted. Thanks
Al :eek:

Tim Bishop
04-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Ok Ronson, where's The Beef? where did you post the shots? I've been looking for them all over the forum. Help me out here, from the message to Mike I'm assuming Mike posted them for you, so direct me to where they are posted. Thanks
Al :eek:

Here they be.....

http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?p=2947#post2947

:cool:

Tim Bishop
04-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Here they be.....

http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?p=2947#post2947

:cool:

...post #167 in the "Show Your Smith Bass" thread. :)

Albert Smith
04-11-2007, 12:12 PM
...post #167 in the "Show Your Smith Bass" thread. :)

Thanks Tim, and Congratulations again Ronson.
Al

Albert Smith
04-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Tim/Ronson if you haven't already picked up the new CD by The McClurkin Project, do so they have some great bass grooves, also Twinkie Clarks' Everything you need (off the album Home Once Again) has a slamming bass line.

Albert Smith
04-25-2007, 10:13 AM
I know there has to be more Gospel players out there that play "Smith" basses, I'd like to hear your stories.
I encourage you to pop into the Gospel Corner and tell us a bit about yourself and the type of "Smith" Bass you play. If you can post a photo it would be most appreciated.
Thanks Al :cool:

Albert Smith
05-05-2007, 01:01 AM
I know there has to be more Gospel players out there that play "Smith" basses, I'd like to hear your stories.
I encourage you to pop into the Gospel Corner and tell us a bit about yourself and the type of "Smith" Bass you play. If you can post a photo it would be most appreciated.
Thanks Al :cool:

There seem to be alot of new choices out there since the 2007 NAMM show, high end Basses, But one Bass has proven itself time and time again for craftmanship, reliability and over all tone and quality, and that my friends is as we all know around here is a Ken Smith Bass. In NY the bass of choice for bass players is Ken Smith. Those who are up and coming, and those who have made a name for themself in the Gospel circuit all concur that the sound of Gospel is being ministered on a Ken Smith Bass. :)

Albert Smith
05-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Ronson, I was wondering since you have your new Smith does it seem easier to manipulate those tricky harmonics? compared to your ibanez do you feel and hear the difference in the way the Smith responds to your style of playing?
:confused:

Ronson Hall
05-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Ronson, I was wondering since you have your new Smith does it seem easier to manipulate those tricky harmonics? compared to your ibanez do you feel and hear the difference in the way the Smith responds to your style of playing?
:confused:

Brother, let me tell you something: The difference is truly night and day!

The first time I played a Smith (about 12 or 13 years ago), it was borrowed over a weekend from my good friends at Century Music here in town. A quilted maple beauty, I was able to literally do things sonically that I'd never done before. I vowed then that I would own one some day. I never forgot the sound I got out of that Smith.

I remember reading a while ago that a player's tone is in his fingers. My fingers are sort of big and soft, so I really respond to the mids and highs that a Ken Smith Bass naturally produces. Additionally, the neck is faster than anything I've ever owned, so the folks I play with can really tell the difference, and of course, they love it!

There was a rehearsal for the "Angel Choir" last Saturday, and I was called from my office to sit in. My Beauty (Smith) was at home, and my Ibanez was the only thing available. I began to play and, man, I felt like I was in another room or something.

Al, anything I think about doing, I can now do with ease on my Smith! :cool:

Tim Bishop
05-17-2007, 10:54 AM
....my Ibanez was the only thing available. I began to play and, man, I felt like I was in another room or something....

Yep, ....or another planet! It is a tough thing going backwards! :mad:

Ronson Hall
05-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Yep, ....or another planet! It is a tough thing going backwards! :mad:

You know, Tim, that's exactly what it was. as a result of the experience, I am seriously considering selling my Ibanez to our Guitarist's son (a percussionist up in Arlington, and a Music grad from UT at Arlington), as I don't feel quite as sentimental about it as I did before! I'm thinking I could sock away the return of the sale for my next Smith! :rolleyes:

Tim Bishop
05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
You know, Tim, that's exactly what it was. as a result of the experience, I am seriously considering selling my Ibanez to our Guitarist's son (a percussionist up in Arlington, and a Music grad from UT at Arlington), as I don't feel quite as sentimental about it as I did before! I'm thinking I could sock away the return of the sale for my next Smith! :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good plan. ;)

Albert Smith
05-17-2007, 05:38 PM

Its a excellent idea, just make sure you make provisions to have a back-up Axe just in case your beauty might need to be serviced. Until you have your next Smith I'm sure Tim could recommend a good back-up Axe.

Al ;)

Jonathan Roberts
06-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Hello all, my name is Jonathan and I play gospel primarily. I will share a little of my experiences with Smith basses. The first time I saw a smith I was sitting in on a friends lesson. His teacher at the time was Keith Taylor who at that time played for Kirk Franklin. He was teaching my friend "Love off the Gods property album. Man talk about an Amazing tone I instantly knew I had to get one. He let me play it for a min and it just felt Right!!! It took a few years but I finally landed my first Smith which is a BSrB 6 and my main bass which I recently got from Craigslist is a 6 string Pro Elite. I curently play for Fisrst SDA church in Huntsville Al primarily but I am moving to Atlanta next month to study bass at AIM. I have added a few pics and I hope to get some live shots up soon too. Take care

Bob Faulkner
06-14-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm not a big fan of bolt on's but man.. That is one beautiful bass!!

Ronson Hall
06-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Hello all, my name is Jonathan and I play gospel primarily. I will share a little of my experiences with Smith basses. The first time I saw a smith I was sitting in on a friends lesson. His teacher at the time was Keith Taylor who at that time played for Kirk Franklin. He was teaching my friend "Love off the Gods property album. Man talk about an Amazing tone I instantly knew I had to get one. He let me play it for a min and it just felt Right!!! It took a few years but I finally landed my first Smith which is a BSrB 6 and my main bass which I recently got from Craigslist is a 6 string Pro Elite. I curently play for Fisrst SDA church in Huntsville Al primarily but I am moving to Atlanta next month to study bass at AIM. I have added a few pics and I hope to get some live shots up soon too. Take care

Jonathan, I must agree with Bob. the only difference is, I AM a big fan of bolt-ons, as I recently received a BSR5MW a couple of months ago.

You certainly got some beautiful wood! Great looking basses! ;)

Jonathan Roberts
06-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks Ronson and Bob for the compliments its truly a great instrument. I have not had the pleasure of playing a neck thru yet but that may be my next venture after I finish school. If I may ask what do you guys think is the difference between the bolt on and the neckthru tone wise and as far as playability?

Tim Bishop
06-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks Ronson and Bob for the compliments its truly a great instrument. I have not had the pleasure of playing a neck thru yet but that may be my next venture after I finish school. If I may ask what do you guys think is the difference between the bolt on and the neckthru tone wise and as far as playability?

Jonathan, check out the following thread from this Forum:

http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=181

Ronson Hall
06-15-2007, 09:26 AM

I remember that thread, Tim. Very informative, and a valuable point of reference. I'm keeping your commentary in mind when I ready myself for my next Smith (yep, there will definitely be a "next!") :rolleyes:

Jonathan Roberts
06-15-2007, 06:48 PM

Thanks Tim excellent information. I will definately give the neckthru a test run as soon as I can.

Albert Smith
06-16-2007, 01:48 PM

Welcome Jonathan, and as you stated their is nothing that sounds like a "Smith Bass". Congrats on continuing your studies at AIM great school and God knows their are some outstanding bass playters in GA. Please when ever you get a chance share with all of us your experiences. Until then keep grooving.
Al

Bob Faulkner
06-18-2007, 01:08 PM
For me the difference is mostly feel. With a neck thru, the bass feels much more like a single entity. When you run your hand up to the higher registers and feel that heelless joint it's a beautiful thing. From 1st fret to 24th they just don't fight or impede you. The action on my neck thru is awesome, but I'm not going to stress that too much because you can get awesome action on a bolt-on as well.. I will say I can get some incredible sustain as well.

Albert Smith
06-18-2007, 03:57 PM
For me the difference is mostly feel. With a neck thru, the bass feels much more like a single entity. When you run your hand up to the higher registers and feel that heelless joint it's a beautiful thing. From 1st fret to 24th they just don't fight or impede you. The action on my neck thru is awesome, but I'm not going to stress that too much because you can get awesome action on a bolt-on as well.. I will say I can get some incredible sustain as well.

Absolutely Bob, feel-tone-craftsmanship-balance-reliability-structural fortitude the list goes on and on. I've played on Modulus-Ibanez-Fedora-Gibson-Fender-Washburn-Ernie Ball-Ario Pro-OLP-Tune-Specter-Scheter and a few others that I don't care to mention and none of them give me the overall pleasure, and feels as you eluded to in your message as a Ken Smith Bass, I have a neck through model my WBT-5-EG 5 string and a bolt on CR6 6 string. Both give me extreme pleasure and that undeniable Smith tone, of course your bass has to be matched with a compatible amp, that's why I play through a all Ampeg rig.

Albert Smith
09-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Well it looks like the New York kid is trading in his season tickets for the Mets to head over o good Ole St. Louis. That's right my family and I are moving. I've accepted a job offer that is relocating my Smith Bass collection out to the Mid-West. So I hope all of the Gospel Smith Bass players out there in St. Louis will welcome the Ole city boy and introduce me to some great churches out there. St. Louis here we come! :D

Tim Bishop
09-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Well it looks like the New York kid is trading in his season tickets for the Mets to head over o good Ole St. Louis. That's right my family and I are moving. I've accepted a job offer that is relocating my Smith Bass collection out to the Mid-West. So I hope all of the Gospel Smith Bass players out there in St. Louis will welcome the Ole city boy and introduce me to some great churches out there. St. Louis here we come! :D

Uh oh! Al's getting closer to Tx! Remember Ronson, I'm still the closer beneficiary! LOL! :D

Ronson Hall
09-02-2007, 09:09 PM

Uh oh! Al's getting closer to Tx! Remember Ronson, I'm still the closer beneficiary! LOL! :D

Tim, I said the same thing about "gettting closer to the South & Texas" to Al not long ago, and I have put extra security around my Smith!! ;)

Tim Bishop
09-02-2007, 09:24 PM

Tim, I said the same thing about "gettting closer to the South & Texas" to Al not long ago, and I have put extra security around my Smith!! ;)

LOL! You got that right. :D

Albert Smith
09-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Listen I have enough Smith's for now to keep me satisfied, besides neither one of you guys are ready to part with any of your babies. But if you are let a brother have first dibs.

Albert Smith
11-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Well here we are from NY to MO, we have finally unpacked the last box, as stated in my other posts I have sold all of my Ampeg equipment and purchased David Eden gear and now my wife and I are in the process of searching for a new spirit filled church home. If any f my fellow board members are aware of a African American Baptist or Pentecostal church that delivers the word unadulterated and also is searching for a Ken Smith Bass player, by all means drop me a line.

Albert Smith
02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Well Ronson/Tim My wife and I have found a new Church home here in MO, its taken some time but we finally found one that give us the "Word" and fulfill our other needs as well. And by the way they had a opening for a Bass Player, that position has been filled.
Here is the link to our new Church home:
http://www.firstbccc.org/

Ronson Hall
02-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Well Ronson/Tim My wife and I have found a new Church home here in MO, its taken some time but we finally found one that give us the "Word" and fulfill our other needs as well. And by the way they had a opening for a Bass Player, that position has been filled.

Congrats to you & your wife, Brother Al! Looks like there are a lot of sweet folks there. Here's hoping you've found a church home you can enjoy & grow in for years to come.

And, oh yes...play that Smith in there through that Eden rig and shake the walls for the Kingdom, son!!! ;)

Tim Bishop
02-04-2008, 11:45 PM

Congrats to you & your wife, Brother Al! Looks like there are a lot of sweet folks there. Here's hoping you've found a church home you can enjoy & grow in for years to come.

And, oh yes...play that Smith in there through that Eden rig and shake the walls for the Kingdom, son!!! ;)

I'm happy for ya Al! And a +1 to your response Ronson......Smith + Eden = Revival!!! :D :) :eek: :D

Albert Smith
02-05-2008, 10:52 PM

Ronson/Tim Thanks I plan on bringing it NY style in MO (LOL)

Bram Schoonderbeek
12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi there,

I was wondering, I'm really drawn to gospel/rn'b lately seeing all sorts of great bass players on youtube like Dwayne Wright for example...:rolleyes: that guy is fantastic!
I really am looking for some good sheet music where that kind of super cool licks are written down, is there anybody who can give me a nice start on some material I can set my teeth in? so I can play some stuff this Smith bass as actually in its right element:D.

I never readed any music before, but to read it is the only way to really learn and progress to a level I want to be at.
Any tips would make me very happy!

Also is there anyone who ordered gospelchops by any chance, I would like to know if that is something I could learn from.

Many thx in advance!

Bob Faulkner
12-22-2008, 04:27 PM
so I can play some stuff this Smith bass as actually in its right element:D.

them there's fightin words.. I play heavy metal on my Smith, and it's perfectly in it's element.. We had a death metal band over not so long ago to watch one of our rehearsals, and all their drummer could do through the whole night was repeat "Oh My God the tone from that bass is awesome!!", over and over..

Smith's are versatile things..

Bram Schoonderbeek
12-23-2008, 05:59 AM
them there's fightin words.. I play heavy metal on my Smith, and it's perfectly in it's element.. We had a death metal band over not so long ago to watch one of our rehearsals, and all their drummer could do through the whole night was repeat "Oh My God the tone from that bass is awesome!!", over and over..

Smith's are versatile things..

Hi Bob,

This is personal I guess, somehow I expected this:rolleyes: from you hehe:D
I respect your choice of instrument and music you choose to play ofcourse. It's only my opinion a Ken Smith sounds great in a gospel/Rn'B setting, as it is in latin, jazz and soul... music wich I like very much.
I like the instrument very much, but to my taste it's not suited for absolutely everything, I have more instruments to suit my tastes for sertain situations. As I'm sure other people have other instruments aswell exept Smith axes.
Again I'm not saying what you do would not fit ofcourse, I think you do a great job in making a great portion of the sound of your band!:)
One thing I can say is a Smith has a very distinct caracter, I can't say that for other brands that much... exept maybe music man/gibson thunderbird/older Fender basses, I think that's a good thing!;)

Bob Faulkner
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
The beauty of a Smith is the versatility, at least when dealing with 5 knobbers with switches.. I can adjust my Smith to sound amazing in any style.. From throat stomping death metal to slap happy funk, to gospel, etc.. It's really my go-to bass for everything. The only time I use another bass is on detuned songs and those needing 5 strings.. The latter will change when I get my Smith BSR5TNE in a couple of years..

Michael Wilson
05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey guys,

I know you all may have seen the video on you tube, The Anointed Pace Sisters, High Praise with Darrell Freeman playing his Bubinga BT6. If not, its a must see and hear. The tone of that bass is awesome.

Mike