PDA

View Full Version : DIP switch settings

Allan Padmore
02-28-2010, 05:50 PM
I am curious as to what are your dip switch setting if you changed them from factory default. I changed mine but I am guessing others changed based on their rig.

Tim Bishop
03-03-2010, 04:59 PM
I really haven't found a need to change the factory settings. However, out of curiosity I have changed between "Original" and "New". If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the "New" settings because I'm hearing a bit more of the Mids cutting through the mix.

I use both "Original" and "New" settings and have no problem being heard in the mix either way, given the tonal flexibility of the Smith 3 Band Pre-amp. :)

Allan Padmore
03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
That's why I did change from factory settings - a little too much mids for my taste. To each his own.

Tim Bishop
03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
That's why I did change from factory settings....When you say "factory settings", are you talking about "Original (9V)" or "New (18V) settings?"

Tim Bishop
03-03-2010, 08:32 PM
That's why I did change from factory settings - a little too much mids for my taste. To each his own.I agree: To each his own. As long as you are happy with the tone and it's cutting through the mix. :)

Allan Padmore
03-04-2010, 05:29 PM
I changed from "new 18 vlt settings" and yes it cuts through the mix with warmth and lows! It sits in it own sonic space and I am happy!

Tim Bishop
03-04-2010, 08:06 PM
I changed from "new 18 vlt settings" and yes it cuts through the mix with warmth and lows! It sits in it own sonic space and I am happy!What model Smith bass are you playing?

Tim Bishop
03-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I changed from "new 18 vlt settings" and yes it cuts through the mix with warmth and lows! It sits in it own sonic space and I am happy!What woods are used in your Smith bass?

Allan Padmore
04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Better late than never LOL. My bsr5gn has maple core with walnut top and back, maple and bubinga neck I think with morado fret board. Best bass I have ever owned.

Robert Bruins
07-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Hi, I've changed my dip settings to,.. now set the low to highest, midrange to lowest(normal) and did not change the high. I'm going to try this for a while and see what happens. I think the low is now more efficient...

Allan Padmore
07-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Enjoy. Since that time I've never touched my bass dip-switch settings from the change I made. Love the sound! I think Ken's 18 volt pre is head and shoulders above his previous and the 9 volt was good. The 18 volt just gives the bass a bigger, wider sound. Throw in the series/parallel switches and you can tweak for days lol.

Tim Bishop
07-19-2012, 09:04 PM
....I think Ken's 18 volt pre is head and shoulders above his previous and the 9 volt was good....Really? I think the comparison is not relevant to tone: You're only getting longer battery life with the 18V vs. 9V. For me, I'm equally happy with either pre-amp. The only difference is having the option with the 18V to adjust switches to taste. Even with that option, I've never really found a need to adjust switches from factory settings as those settings sound optimal to my ear. For my tonal tastes, the wood choices are more relevant.

Allan Padmore
07-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Ok no prob. I just know with my old CRV I replaced the pre but with my bsr5gn I have no need to. I have all the tone and warmth I want with more to spare. Plus the series/parallel switches to play with and I'm happy. There is a post by Ken where he explains that the shelving frequencies are wider or something to that effect. Different frequency points and width sounds like it leads to different tones. Maybe it is the different woods I don't know. The option to adjust dip switches that tweak the bass, mids and treble to taste is impressive and produces results for me. There are obviously tons of professional players more than happy with the 9 volt pre. Maybe I'm just weird lol.