PDA

View Full Version : A Question...

Will Kelly
04-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Is it possible to have fingerboard dots inlayed after the fact?

I am looking at some used KS basses and unfortunately none of them have top dots.

Tim Bishop
04-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Yep, it is. If you are going to do it locally, just make sure you find someone qualified, otherwise, send it to Ken. :)

Tim Bishop
04-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Also, have you considered side dots as another option?

Ken Smith
04-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Is it possible to have fingerboard dots inlayed after the fact?

I am looking at some used KS basses and unfortunately none of them have top dots.

It is 3x the amount of work to do them after IF neatness is desired. We do them so it looks like it was originally made that way.

Ken Smith
04-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Yep, it is. If you are going to do it locally, just make sure you find someone qualified, otherwise, send it to Ken. :)

Basses we see done out in the field often look hacked. It is not as easy as one would think with the Frets in.

Ken Smith
04-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Also, have you considered side dots as another option?

Tim, every bass we have made in history since day one has side dots. We have never made one without them that I can remember.

We have used REAL Mother of Pearl from the beginning, NOT plastic like the other companies use. We use 3mm sized dots which are about 1/8" in size by comparison. These Pearl dots cost about 98% the price of the 8mm dots we use on top. It's a labor cost more than the material when comparing the prices.

Kirk P Brosius
04-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey Will,

Just a thought here but, you will most likely never look at the dots on the fretboard. If you are the type of player which frequently looks at the neck while playing, you will give most of your attention to the side dots. I've often wondered why there are dots on the fretboard since only the audience can see it.

Later, Kirk

Will Kelly
04-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey Kirk

In answer to that...

I use the dots all the time on the fingerboard. On a four string bass, it doesnt matter to me if they are there or not. On a five or six, I need them. Two reasons: It makes big position shifts on the fingerboard easier for me, and second, my eyes are failing me. When I look at the fingerboard of a multi-string bass I often see double the number of strings. The dots give me a good spatial reference with some depth perception.

Kirk P Brosius
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Hey Will,

I respect and can completely understand your perspective and other considerations. I'm in a similar position! At my age, almost 66, and on a dimly lit stage, I find the side dots a bid difficult to see when I need them! My point is that it can be difficult to crank the neck around to look at the fingerboard, instead of the side dots, while watching the guitarist for cues and keeping the other eye on the new drummer to give him the same cues! SHEEESH!!!! All the pressure!!!!!!

Later, Kirk