PDA

View Full Version : Some great Basses...

Ken Smith
02-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Today I went to NYC to show Paul Biase my Cornerless Bass and compare it to some of his 'big guns' as we say in the Bass Biz. The two Basses I compared it to were a Joseph Gagliano and a Giuseppi Guadagnini (I) (son of JB and brother of Gaetano (I)). The Gagliano was Homer Mensch's Bass and the Guad. belongs to Biase himself but at one time belonged to Homer as well. All 3 of these Basses are from the second half of the 18th century and each has a individual distinctive sound but with similar Italian qualities as well. The Gagliano had the best overall sound, The Guad. was the most powerful (and the biggest in size) and mine was described as the 'butterball' of the trio with the thickest deepest low end of the three.

I also played a small Testore Bass while I was there that once belonged to the late great Homer Mensch and it was quite loud for its size but no match for the three cannons in depth or power. It too was a sweet bass to play with cut shoulders and a replaced 'French' Back as well.

Please use this thread to tell us about any great Italian Basses you have tried, played or even own. We have room for as many Threads as we can think of but it would be nice to tell a few stories right here as well.

davidseidel
02-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Must be great to check out basses like this side to side..... wouldn't it also be great if we could see photos of these basses? Most of don't get many chances to see any of these ..... Let alone hear them or play them .... Lucky you Ken!

Ken Smith
02-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Must be great to check out basses like this side to side..... wouldn't it also be great if we could see photos of these basses? Most of don't get many chances to see any of these ..... Let alone hear them or play them .... Lucky you Ken!

My Bass is on my website but the other two are not mine to publish. Maybe next time I go into NYC I will bring my camera and get permission first as well. As mentioned in my post, The Gagliano belongs to Homer's family so that's a tough call but I will ask anyway because you asked.. ok?