PDA

View Full Version : finish questions ....

Adrian Levi
05-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm wondering what the best method of 'patching up' worn scratched patches on this bass is ? I dont really necessarily need the finish to look brand new , but at the moment its down to bare wood in places and needs some sort of protection / blend at least . Any insight would be great thanks .

Martin Sheridan
05-03-2010, 06:11 PM
This is a job for your bass luthier. I'd touch up the small places and French Polish over the large worn area to protect it from further erosion.

Adrian Levi
05-06-2010, 06:53 AM
just enhanced the picture-one of those shoulder bibs would take care of it-seriously--just keep it polished well, though-this is probably not the best idea that you will get, but it is an idea.:) how's it going down there in SAfrica. ---which bass is this- can you post more pictures-just curious-no prob if you're too busy

Hi Wayne - managed some pics of the bass / this was the one that had the broken heel toe / and that I had to rebuild the mortise face and sides and realign the neck . She is a full carved german 3/4 and was made in 1970 . You can still see the heel repair line but Ill disguise it when the basses finish is retouched and French polished . This has turned out to be a fantastic bass for jazz and super easy to play :)

Adrian Levi
05-10-2010, 06:03 AM
nice looking bass-lots of grain-who is the maker? Neck really looks good! Curious, did you leave the screw in, or not? I won't tell anyone.

It made by a company in Germany by the name of Goetz . They started trading late 1800's.
AND YES I DID LEAVE THE SCREW IN:cool:( please dont tell anyone :D ) I do NOT want the job to fail on me especially since a lot of white wood glue had to be removed from the previous failed repair and I was worried about how well the hide glue would hold.