PDA

View Full Version : Small solo Italian bass

Jeff Campbell
05-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Hello Ken and Crew,

Seeing this post about big and little basses has me thinking about a small bass I've run into. I've posted some photos and wonder if anyone has thoughts about this bass.

Ken Smith
05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Hello Ken and Crew,

Seeing this post about big and little basses has me thinking about a small bass I've run into. I've posted some photos and wonder if anyone has thoughts about this bass.

How small? Looks Northern Italian to me for the most part.

Jeff Campbell
05-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi Ken,

The top plate is 44" in length, the bottom bout is 24 1/2", and the upper is 19 1/2" with a rib depth of 7 1/2. The string length is 42". How does the Northern style differ from the Southern? What about the flat back scroll? Is this typical of a Northern style? The bass looks pretty old - but am not sure of the age.

Ken Smith
05-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Hi Ken,

The top plate is 44" in length, the bottom bout is 24 1/2", and the upper is 19 1/2" with a rib depth of 7 1/2. The string length is 42". How does the Northern style differ from the Southern? What about the flat back scroll? Is this typical of a Northern style? The bass looks pretty old - but am not sure of the age.

Yes, the dark varnish and style I think ranges from Pistoja and upwards north to Brescia even.. Not Naples or Rome school at all.