PDA

View Full Version : Extension makes your bass sound better or worst?

Nando Raio
05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
HI I am new to the forum, and would like to apologize before hand, for my grammar as english is my second language.
I have a bass and on its tuning plate gears is engraved "G.E.Bryant ,Lowell". All I know is that he was a violin maker in the late 1800's in Lowell MA, I will post pictures soon, don't know much about this maker.
I am in Los Angeles and my bass will be repaired by Lisa Gass,(top will come off for repairs, new fingerboard, bridge) I have an old Stenholm Extension installed on my bass, I will be playing modern Jazz no need for the extension, but I often use to play some grooves:cool: but some people say that basses sound better with an extension, others say that the heavy Stenholm won't let the instrument Resonate, reverberate, vibrate, resound, ring, echo, boom the way it should.:confused:
Help!!!!!!!!

Ken Smith
05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Excess weight acts as a dampener. Like a Blanket over the sound in a way. If you don't need the extension, have it removed carefully, leave the hole in the scroll for possible future use, pack up the extension if ever you need it or sell the bass and have Lisa make you a new Nut and re-string it normally.

Some Orchestra people have said that adding an Extension opens up the sound but that is in an Orchestra capacity. Your open E which will get used a lot in Jazz will not sound as good with the Extension stop as it will in a regular Ebony Nut.

I had one bass come in that had a mechanical Extension that I didn't like. The Bass is slated for classical use but prior to its restoration, I immediately removed the extension and made a new/regular Nut and strung it normally. I gave the old Extension to a former student of the previous owner of the bass for his use. I used the Bass for nearly a year before it went on the bench for major surgery. After all is done and back to life it will get a chromatic Ebony extension like on my other basses.

One other Bass I had restored and set-up for orchestra got a fingered extension with only the E latch. When it sold to a Jazz player he had the extension taken off, packed up and set up with a normal E and 4 string ebony Nut. Same Luthier from the start on those jobs.

If you don't need it, take it off. If you want an extension that kills the sound less, get a hand made Ebony one like on my basses.

Nando Raio
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Thank you Ken Smith and Wayne Holmes for the help. Its one of the old school extensions, where they cut the scroll to fit the extension, it doesn't look like a good install, certainly not like the ones I've seen on this forum, but I was really worried about removing it, because the bass sounds great.

Ken Smith
05-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Thank you Ken Smith and Wayne Holmes for the help. Its one of the old school extensions, where they cut the scroll to fit the extension, it doesn't look like a good install, certainly not like the ones I've seen on this forum, but I was really worried about removing it, because the bass sounds great.

My Cornerless was Cut as well but because the Scroll was too far forward from the previous and poorly done Neck graft. All is corrected now. The Scroll repaired 100% and ready for varnish to match and the angle perfect for an Ebony extension to be cut around the Scroll as it should be.

I recently inspected a fine old English bass only to notice the Scroll was cut for the extension. This was sad because there was plenty of room to cut the Extension to fit around the Scroll. The Luthier (NOT one of mine) was too lazy and was even proud to stamp his name in the extension. Looks more like it reads "this fine pedigree Scroll BUTCHERED proudly by Xxxx Xxxxx".

Ken Smith
05-13-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't understand cutting the scroll to fit an extension- to me it's as nuts as having your ears surgically lowered so your glasses will fit better... having said that, if one owns the bass and chooses to cut on it because they have a belief that it will be better, then they certainly have a right to do so. IMMHO/E

If it sounds "great" why change anything? Can't get much better than great, but if you experiment with and without the extension, you may find that it can be made to sound even greater.

BTW, Engelhardt sells those (can't think of what they are called) the round part (ears)of the scroll. Might be easier than making one. I think they are about $25 a pair.

btw your English is better than most of us who use it as our first and only language

Please don't suggest Englehardt Ears for a REAL Bass. Put that on one of my basses and I will hunt you down. This is a real handmade 19th century Yankee bass and needs to be treated as such.

Should I have had Arnold buy those Ears to fix MY Cornerless Italian Bass? Please..

Ken Smith
05-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Wayne, Wayne, Wayne..:o..:confused:..:p..:rolleyes:

Nando mentioned his Bass in the first post, an 1880s Boston School Pedigree, no secret there. He also mentioned he HAS a mechanical C extension already and want to know ho the bass will sound withOUT it for playing Jazz.

Ok? You with me so far?:confused:

Also in the conversation he mentioned the Scroll was cut, NOT the Ear. The upper Volute area that's under the Extension. On any fine bass you can either let it be, damage already done, fix it correctly by restoring and making the missing piece and match up the finish and fit a new properly installed extension 'around' the scroll or just leave it off and use as a normal 4-string bass. Those are the only options I see.

So.. First off you tell him to get a C and not a B Extension.. WHAT? .. You didn't comprehend what he wrote!

Also, he mentioned that he plays Jazz and wants advice for the best his bass would sound for that BUT, you mention in the end you don't Play jazz and can't answer him. So.. Why did you go off and change the subject about B extensions? Makes no sense.

Next, on his Pedigree Bass you offer Englehardt paste on Ears. Would you do that on on a bass like that if it was yours?

So, if YOU had read what was posted on the Bass NONE of my comments would have been directed at you like that or even posted at all. I was merely trying to set things straight... Then, I will hunt you down.. :eek:

Why you joined Ken's Corner; I like the atmosphere of Ken's forum-it's respectful, encouraging, and always a learning experience-hardly ever see anyone wasting other's precious time. It is more in line with the spirit I have for the double bass.Well, I hope at least it has been a learning experience. ;)

Always in fun though and with a smile. You gotta smile.. it's part of life..:cool:

Ken Smith
05-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Moses smell the roses ---Hey! get your scroll ears here 3 for Quarter

or get your volute earrings from Ken for whatever you can barter.

okay, enough of this **** for one day

Lol.. hey, what's with that big space in your post? Missing a big smile?

Earrings? Don't wear them. Not my thing!

Nando Raio
05-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I would like to thank you guys again, I understand where you guys are coming from.
Ken; Wayne didn't know what kind of bass I have, It was my fault, I should've posted pictures of it, Wayne had a valid input if we were talking about a budget instrument or a very limited budget for repair.
Wayne, I would like to thank you for helping out with your comments and the encouraging words about my writing.
I respect Ken Smith and his knowledge about bass in general, the fact he puts time to answer the posts is a great thing, a lot of people out there keep their knowledge to themselves, sometimes he can be too straight forward, I think is hilarious, with him " The water is never warm, either Freezing Cold!!! or Boiling Hot!!!"
I would like to keep talking about bass, lets not get personal, and Wayne "pissing in my coffee" thats is funny man....I hope Ken is laughing at that as much as you should about his "Hunt You Down" , hunt you down with what? with a french bow and a bag full of rosin.

Thank YOU, Lets Cool Down, Peace! and Lots Of Low End Notes,
"maybe not as low as a C extension" not sure yet...LOL
Nando Raio

Ken Smith
05-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Nando, you are a prince of a bassist filled with wisdom and judgement beyond your 31 years.:)

And, Ken, well, I am very proud of you for the way you handled my brilliant and insightful criticism.:D

Hey, I'm here to help.. Now, where did I put that Bow?:eek: