PDA

View Full Version : Gotz

Adrian Levi
06-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I recently got these two German basses , labeled Conrad a Gotz .
There isn't a lot of info on these and I'm wondering if these would fall under the Shop Bass category ?
Gotz sell all sorts of string instruments but I'm guessing that they probably dont even manufacture themselves by the info I can find .
The basses are well made relatively light instruments and sound good with good volume .

Ken Smith
06-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I recently got these two German basses , labeled Conrad a Gotz .
There isn't a lot of info on these and I'm wondering if these would fall under the Shop Bass category ?
Gotz sell all sorts of string instruments but I'm guessing that they probably dont even manufacture themselves by the info I can find .
The basses are well made relatively light instruments and sound good with good volume .

I would say German Shop basses or modern German. I don't know for sure who exactly makes them.

Adrian Levi
06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
I would say German Shop basses or modern German. I don't know for sure who exactly makes them.

What's the difference between 'shop bass' and a 'modern German' instrument ?

These two basses were born in the 60's and the 70's according to their labels.

Eric Hochberg
06-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Just an aside, there are at least 4 Conrad Gotz basses for sale in the Chicago area that I know of. A friend also owns one as a backup. Pretty common around here.

Ken Smith
06-15-2010, 10:39 AM
What's the difference between 'shop bass' and a 'modern German' instrument ?

These two basses were born in the 60's and the 70's according to their labels.

They could either mean the same if shop made and modern or just modern if made by one individual maker. In the 20th century in Germany, the majority of basses made by far from what I have seen were 'shop basses'. In my opinion of course!;)

Adrian Levi
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Just an aside, there are at least 4 Conrad Gotz basses for sale in the Chicago area that I know of. A friend also owns one as a backup. Pretty common around here.

Eric , have you played one of these basses ? I find them to be be pretty solid in the build and sound department !

Eric Hochberg
06-15-2010, 11:23 AM
I've played 2, but it's been a while. I don't think I felt they were something I had to have. I have two German shop basses, been there and done that. I don't think the Gotz I played were as good sounding as mine, but they probably weren't tweaked to my liking either. Next time I'm at the shop, I'll play that one again if it's still available.

Now that I think of it, I heard my friend's Gotz at a jazz gig and remember thinking it sounded very nice, amped at least.

Adrian Levi
06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
I've played 2, but it's been a while. I don't think I felt they were something I had to have. I have two German shop basses, been there and done that. I don't think the Gotz I played were as good sounding as mine, but they probably weren't tweaked to my liking either. Next time I'm at the shop, I'll play that one again if it's still available.

Now that I think of it, I heard my friend's Gotz at a jazz gig and remember thinking it sounded very nice, amped at least.

If you manage to play one let me know , thanks !

Arnold Schnitzer
06-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Marshall Wood (Tony Bennett Trio) plays on a 7/8 Gotz that sounds fantastic.

Ken Smith
06-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Is Gotz a maker or a brand/supplier? Is it the same now as in their beginning?

Here is their link; http://www.gotzviolins.de/products.htm

"Stringed Instruments
Since 1884 we offer high quality violins, celli and double basses with the Götz brand. Above all we are known for our expertise in handling instruments made by the old masters."

Judge for yourself but from how it reads to me they are sellers of a brand like Juzek, Morelli/Pfretzschner and others are/were and not the actual maker. The Wilfers, Hofner, Framus, Grunert, Saumer and Pollmann/Krahmer to name a few were and are actual German makers.

Adrian Levi
06-16-2010, 06:26 PM

"Stringed Instruments
Since 1884 we offer high quality violins, celli and double basses with the Götz brand. Above all we are known for our expertise in handling instruments made by the old masters."

Judge for yourself but from how it reads to me they are sellers of a brand like Juzek, Morelli/Pfretzschner and others are/were and not the actual maker. The Wilfers, Hofner, Framus, Grunert, Saumer and Pollmann/Krahmer to name a few were and are actual German makers.

I must say it does look like they possibly are not the actual makers from what I read between the lines ! I've mailed them about my basses and maybe will even get an answer for what its worth .... still these basses are fine sounding instruments to my ears that is :)

Pino Cazzaniga
06-16-2010, 08:31 PM
I never saw that label/firm, but for what I can see from the pics, there are many similar instruments, unlabeled, sold in Italy usually for students.
I guess that somebody in Easter Europe make these basses for that firm too.

Adrian Levi
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Well , for what its worth I found out that Gotz do use (contract) local luthiers for all their carved basses in and around the Wernitzgrün/ Markneukirchen area that they are based in .

Ken Smith
03-08-2012, 09:45 PM

"Stringed Instruments

I was doing some searches today on the Bubenreuth makers and found out that Framus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framus) is a coined word/acronym made up from Franconian music production founded by Fred Wilfer who immigrated from Schonbach to Germany after WWII.

I thought that was worth sharing having just read this myself.