PDA

View Full Version : Heavy on the mids

Joe Spina
06-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I just got this GN the other day. Walnut over mahogany-maple ebony neck-6 pin dip switch. Lots of punch but heavy on the mids. Tried several combinations of dip switch positions and knob/amp variations however it's still middy (not muddy). Dip switches were played with as the bass tone controls were set flat. Subtle changes were heard but nothing that got me out of that midrangey clack when slapping/popping.
Slapping/popping it sounds like popping a P bass with flat wounds :eek:. Rolling off the mids and boosting the bass and treble makes it sound muted with no snap. I just want to be able to slap it (no wise cracks) at will and get it funky and go to rock or blues with a few turns of the knob.. Any suggestions?

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/vakmere/BSR5GNPW1-1.jpg

Ken Smith
06-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Freddy Washington, Ricky Minor, Melvin Davis and many other top pros use similar model Smith basses with Smith TC Med. strings and get all the sound they need. They are on 1000s or recordings and the sound is with our Strings.

I see here that your bass doesn't have Smith Strings on it. That would be the best match for the sound here, the TCRM Med 5s.

Tim Bishop
06-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Ken is right, I would also suggest setting this bass up with the Smith Medium Taper Cores. Those strings are truly the best fit for a Smith bass. Also, I would return the DIP Switch settings back to either the "Original" or "New" settings as was set from the factory.

What amplification set-up are you using?

BTW - I know that bass (use to be mine) and I know the tone is there. Set-up is everything!

Joe Spina
06-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Ken is right, I would also suggest setting this bass up with the Smith Medium Taper Cores. Those strings are truly the best fit for a Smith bass. Also, I would return the DIP Switch settings back to either the "Original" or "New" settings as was set from the factory.

What amplification set-up are you using?

BTW - I know that bass (use to be mine) and I know the tone is there. Set-up is everything!

OK then, lets set it up. What were the original dip settings. Right now I have it 1 on 2 off 3 on 4 off 5 on 6 off. Trim pot is at 50% or the same passive as active. Here my rig munus the (2) Avatar 2x10s. I also use the 6.0 shuttle with 2x10s. The strings on it are not Smith but still nickel taper core. What do you suggest.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/vakmere/015.jpg

Tim Bishop
06-29-2010, 09:00 PM
The DIP Switch set-up you describe is the "New" setting. The "New" setting will give you a bit more Mid bite.

The "Original" DIP Switch set-up is as follows:

1 off ; 2 on
3 on ; 4 on
5 off ; 6 on

I run the Trim on my Smith Basses at about 75%. I also use Smith Medium Taper Cores and set the bass up to my playing style. Tried other quality strings but came back to the TCRM's.

Joe Spina
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
The DIP Switch set-up you describe is the "New" setting. The "New" setting will give you a bit more Mid bite.

The "Original" DIP Switch set-up is as follows:

1 off ; 2 on
3 on ; 4 on
5 off ; 6 on

I run the Trim on my Smith Basses at about 75%. I also use Smith Medium Taper Cores and set the bass up to my playing style. Tried other quality strings but came back to the TCRM's.

Tried the settings you suggested. Subtle changes in tone were noticed. Tried some new strings and there was a more noticable difference. Put the trim at 60%, seemed to work out good there. This bass used to be yours? Why did you give it up? For its age it looks unplayed even though I'm probably the 3rd owner or so.

Tim Bishop
06-30-2010, 03:58 PM
....This bass used to be yours? Why did you give it up?.....Yes, that bass use to be mine. Why did I "give it up"? Good question, should've kept that one. I was approached with interest in that particular bass, so, I let it go. I have a back-up :).

Joe Spina
06-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Yes, that bass use to be mine. Why did I "give it up"? Good question, should've kept that one. I was approached with interest in that particular bass, so, I let it go. I have a back-up :).

Looks like whoever took it from you didnt play it much. Cant find a mark on it anywhere. At least you know where it is now and in good hands.

Tim Bishop
06-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Dr hi-beams then Lo-beams, both worked pretty well.

Yeah, I've tried those strings as well; not a good fit for Smith Basses (IMO and to my ear). You really do need to try the Smith Medium Taper Cores (TCRM's). Once you do, you can then decide for yourself what works best for you. ;)

Tim Bishop
06-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Looks like whoever took it from you didnt play it much....

Sounds like it. I played it a few times and loved it, but again, I am VERY careful with my gear and where and how I store it.

Tim Bishop
06-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I've tried those strings as well; not a good fit for Smith Basses (IMO and to my ear). You really do need to try the Smith Medium Taper Cores (TCRM's). Once you do, you can then decide for yourself what works best for you. ;)

Oh, and BTW, if you do try the Smith TCRM's, because of the Taper Core design, you will need to re-set the action accordingly at the bridge. If you've played Taper Core strings, you know what I'm talking about. If not, you will. :)

Paul Phillips
06-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Joe,
Im the second owner of the Bass,Got it from Tim back in Dec,String spacing was just not comfortable for me.Like Tim, I learned at an early age to take care of all of my Bass no matter High end or not!,Take care of the instrument the instrument will take care of you.I played the Bass daily!,The Bass I have now has 19mm spacing,It is the right feel for me,Enjoy

Tim Bishop
06-30-2010, 07:29 PM
....String spacing was just not comfortable for me.....The Bass I have now has 19mm spacing, it is the right feel for me, Enjoy I can appreciate the difference in feel between the 19mm and 18mm. I love both for different reasons.

Tim Bishop
06-30-2010, 07:34 PM
....Im the second owner of the Bass, Got it from Tim back in Dec....I should've bought it back from you, Paul. Came close to doing just that. Oh well, live and learn. :rolleyes:

Paul Phillips
06-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Tim,
Wished you would have contacted me,She would have been with you!,She is a Beautiful Bass,Love the feel of the 19mm,If the Smith was 19 i would never parted with her..

Tim Bishop
06-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Tim,
Wished you would have contacted me,She would have been with you!,She is a Beautiful Bass,Love the feel of the 19mm,If the Smith was 19 i would never parted with her..I know, I can only blame myself. I came close to doing it; just waited too long. :(

Joe Spina
07-01-2010, 08:13 AM
I know, I can only blame myself. I came close to doing it; just waited too long. :(

Oi, I'm feeling the guilt..:o I dont keep basses long so if you would like to have it again sometime I would be happy to let you know. I baby my gear to. As for the strings, taper wounds are fairly common and the materials regardlass of manufacturer are very similar and the guages standard. In my world, whatever the car looks like on the outside it's the engine and related parts that make it go. All depends on what track you're racing it on that shows it's best performance.

Tim Bishop
07-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Oi, I'm feeling the guilt..:o...No need. Just play it well. :)

Otto Orraca
07-03-2010, 09:46 AM
I have owned 4 Ken Smith and by some reason, 2 of them that had the mahogany core it sounded just like the sound that you describe, they were more mids focus. How ever the BSR5GN I have now is Maple core and this bass is very versatile I get all three tones perfectly, perfect low, mids and highs, is not mids focus the sound is pefectly balance. This is by far the best KS bass I had ever owned and heard. Sadly to say that I almost sold it the other day in TB. I am glad it didn't get Sold and keeping this beast. In my opinion that the maple core gives the bass a more clear tone and makes it more versatile.

Mine is Maple core and crotch walnut.

Allan Padmore
07-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I also have a bsr5gn that has a maple core that is warm and versatile. In other basses maple tend to sound brighter but on my Smith it sounds great and warm. You should keep your bsrgn dude you will regret it LOL.

Otto Orraca
07-03-2010, 12:52 PM
When I used to owned those two BSR5GN with Mahogany core, I didn't had my style of sound and that was the main reason I sold them, I love the KS basses they are build perfectly. when the oportunity came to get this one with a maple core I took it and I am glad that I did. there is a big change on tone from the mahogany to the maple core (This is my opinion) if any one disagrees that is cool I am just giving my personal opinion. I would had beat my self if I would had sold it. I am keeping this baby.