PDA

View Full Version : Vieneese tail-plug

Thomas Erickson
07-06-2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/pollmann1/

I'm curious about the "second endpin" setup, as seen on this Pollmann and some other basses. I can think of a few reasons why it would be convenient, but none that really justifies it. Perhaps I've overlooked something?

John Delventhal
07-10-2010, 05:36 PM
No one jumped on this so, I will give it a shot.

On basses with very deep ribs, like Pollmanns, the length of tailwire becomes longer in order to reach the center of the bottom ribs where your endpin would be. I'm under the impression that this extra length puts more stress or tension on the tailwire/endpin/block/saddle. A shorter tailwire should reduce this tension. Hence the plug.

Tailpieces and saddles along with their tension play a roll in the sound of the instrument. Also, with the use of a plug the bass could be stronger in that area and create a less likely need for repairs down the road.

Thomas Erickson
07-20-2010, 07:20 AM
i never took physics or anything, so I'm not sure if a longer tailgut after the saddle really places increased strain on the endpin, but even if so, it doesn't seem like it could be much. Is excessive stress on the endpin even that much of an issue in terms of the overall health of a bass? Seems to me like a (relatively) simple set of issues that could come up, especially since endpins are frequently refitted and bottom blocks seem to get damaged often anyway. I know for a fact that the endpin wheel I like to use puts more stress on the bottom of my bass than any tailgut arrangement! :D

Matthew Tucker
07-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I've always considered the separate tail-plug was to enable the owner to remove/change endpins in the days before adjustable ones.

I can't see how it can improve the strength of the bottom block arrangement, in fact a extra hole in it makes it potentially weaker IMO.

Ken Smith
07-25-2010, 03:06 PM
As referenced above the Pollmann (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/pollmann1/images/bottom.jpg) had that plug and it was interesting. On at least on occasion the endpin came loose or fell out entirely. I fixed it for good with a thin sandpaper shim.;)

Two holes in the Block does worry me as well. That bass however was very loud and carried better than my Martini, one other bass (forgot which?) and a Hawkes 'H' model bass. With a friend and myself we did a blindfold test each playing all 4 basses and listening 2 rooms away in my shop about 50 feet away. That Pollmann won both times. It was fairly new and up-close, sounded new tone-wise but I wondered if the separate Tail plug had anything to do with the volume and carry power.:confused:

Maybe someone here could contact Pollmann and ask why they do it?

Steve Alcott
07-26-2010, 05:19 PM
It seems to me that a good solid bottom block with two holes wouldn't necessarily be problematic. The big advantage I see with this arrangement is that the endpin is not forced to do double duty as both tailpiece anchor and endpin. It also enables the tailpiece anchor to be either in front of or behind the endpin; I've seen it both ways.

Thomas Erickson
07-26-2010, 11:00 PM
It seems to me that a good solid bottom block with two holes wouldn't necessarily be problematic. The big advantage I see with this arrangement is that the endpin is not forced to do double duty as both tailpiece anchor and endpin. It also enables the tailpiece anchor to be either in front of or behind the endpin; I've seen it both ways.

Tailgut anchored to the rearward plug, huh? That seems like just asking for the block to split between the holes.

It wouldn't be exactly the same, but perhaps it would be interesting to make an endpin unit that could allow the tailgut to be anchored at different points at the bottom of the bass, and then just do some experimenting.

Matthew Tucker
07-27-2010, 02:44 AM
I have seen a tailgut post anchored through the TOP of the block, a simple SS rod with notches, on a Laborie bass. This arrangement allowed the TP to be anchored at different heights, instead of a raised saddle. I don't know who made/installed this and I don't know how it fares in the long run.

Thomas Erickson
07-27-2010, 03:02 AM
http://www.lamario.ca/lamario2009-vitruve.php?lang=english

This bass has something similar - but in either case, as with the elevated saddle, the intent is to change the pressure on the bridge more than to address any issue at the bottom of the bass, I think.

The idea of fixing the tailgut to the top of the block seems risky, to me - unless the block is made from carbon fiber and the fixing rod is epoxied into it or something... :D I just imagine the whole setup exploding out the bottom of the bass some day! :eek: