PDA

View Full Version : need major help

shannan rusel
07-18-2010, 12:41 PM
First of all thanks for taking time to read this. I just purchased the 5 string flatops for a mod on my bass {none smith} and i have no clue as to how to hook it up. I have orderd a aguilar obp3 preamp with the vol,blend,bass ,tre, mid,mid selector switch and 2 series parallel switches. The preamp is coming pre wired but i dont have any diagrams on the pickups so i know what to solder to what tabs. i just know there are 6 tabs and the pickups are marked for the bridge and neck. Is there anybody out there thay can help?:confused::confused::confused:
http://www.smithbassforums.com/images/misc/progress.gif

Amit Shtriker
07-18-2010, 07:17 PM
A good guitar tech maybe?

I would suggest not to do the mod yourself if you're not familiar with the connections...

About the pickup wiring, not sure but I think it's not unlike other pickups, you can look for it on the net. Whatever you do just don't connect until you're 100% sure you know what you're doing:)

Hajime Hirose
07-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Wiring Preamp is separated from pickup wiring. Preamp has in and out, then ground (Usually Black) and cable (usually Red) for battery.
If you go to Aguilar's web site, there are wiring diagrams for your purpose. Also, if you go to other pickup maker's site, you will know how you could wire Series/Parallel (+ Tap, if you need).

On the FT pickups
I think this might be help.
Pickups
1 2
3 4
5 6
2 Ring/large Tags (5 & 6) are ground (Case Earth). So you could connect them to ground or cold, if preamp is not buffer preamp.

Switch (You need DPDT. One pickup needs one Switch separately.)
1 2
3 4
5 6
4 & 5 must be connected. 6 won't be connected and leave it alone.

Pickup #1 will go to Switch #3
Pickup #2 will go to Switch #4
Pickup #3 will go to Switch #2 then this works as Ground Of a pickup.
Pickup #4 will go to Switch #1 then this works as Hot Of a Pickup.

Ken Smith
07-18-2010, 09:21 PM
First of all thanks for taking time to read this. I just purchased the 5 string flatops for a mod on my bass {none smith} and i have no clue as to how to hook it up. I have orderd a aguilar obp3 preamp with the vol,blend,bass ,tre, mid,mid selector switch and 2 series parallel switches. The preamp is coming pre wired but i dont have any diagrams on the pickups so i know what to solder to what tabs. i just know there are 6 tabs and the pickups are marked for the bridge and neck. Is there anybody out there thay can help?:confused::confused::confused:http://www.smithbassforums.com/images/misc/progress.gif

Gee, if you would have bought OUR S/P switches you would not have this problem as they come wired and with a simple hand written diagram for the color coded wires and to which tab they go. Our Switches are made special and have gold contacts as well. There is a reason why we go through the trouble to have these special switches made to order from C&K. They are NOT off the shelf switches.