PDA

View Full Version : advice on Tyrolean Bass

Kyle Morin
08-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi,
This is my first post on this site. I really appreciate all the info that I've found here. I was just wondering if someone might be able to give me some info about this bass that I'm going to go look at. It's a Tyrolean apparently from the mid to late 1800's. I've read a lot of stuff recently about "shop" basses versus higher quality basses made in Tirol region. Does this appear to be a shop bass? From these pics can anyone give me some info? Thanks so much.
Kyle

Ken Smith
08-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi,
This is my first post on this site. I really appreciate all the info that I've found here. I was just wondering if someone might be able to give me some info about this bass that I'm going to go look at. It's a Tyrolean apparently from the mid to late 1800's. I've read a lot of stuff recently about "shop" basses versus higher quality basses made in Tirol region. Does this appear to be a shop bass? From these pics can anyone give me some info? Thanks so much.
Kyle

It's a Tyrolean apparently from the mid to late 1800's.? Apparent to who and why? Please!

Can I see the Back and close straight shots please? No art type shots. Plain and simple straight on shots that show all its details and flaws. The Scroll, all angles, and all ribs as well. Then I can see more.

Is that shiny brown varnish original? The Gears original to that scroll and the scroll original to that bass? Has the varnish on the head and back been matched with a UV light?

These are the starting point to the ID process. Then we know better what we are looking at. Past alterations throw a wrench in the spokes and makes things harder to ID.

Kyle Morin
08-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi Ken,
Thanks for your response. I'm sorry for the lack of info and don't mean to waste your time. The bass is located in Philly so I'm yet to see it in person. The owner has had the bass appraised by Michael Shank from Shank's Strings and was told that it's a Tyrolean. I'm currently studying with Larry Grenadier and he told me that the bass is very similar to his Tyrolean bass.

This is all the info that I have from the owner.

Scale length is 43". Body length is 42-3/4". Lower bout is 25-1/4". Middle bout is 14-3/4". Upper bout is 20-3/8". Body depth is 8-3/8"
"Original headstock/neck and heel with integral neckblock, never modified or removed and very stable. Most recent work by Michael Shank for repair and maintenance. He said the bass is in no need to be modified, sounds and plays exceptionally well."
"This Upright Bass is all hand carved from the mid 1800's. Made in the German/Tyrolean area in Europe. Gamba shape with flat-back, inlaid purfling, sides and back are tight flamed maple. Nice medium dark brown "violin" finish. Formerly maintained by "Paul Safran & Son", North 8th St., Philadelphia PA., "Robert Riccardi", Pennsauken NJ., and most recently by Shank's Strings, Elizabethtown PA

These are the other photos that I have of the bass. I will ask for better ones with more detail and inquire about the finish.
Kyle

Ken Smith
08-01-2010, 10:20 PM
I know Tirol basses but just because the neck area ribs are raised doesn't make it a Tirol bass. They made basses like this in Bohemia and other parts of Germany. The F-holes on this looks more German to me.

43" String length? anything over 42" these days is difficult to sell. I would stay away if it can't be modified unless you don't care about its resale value and are way way over 6ft tall with long and strong fingers. 41.5" on average is the preferred length these days. I always try and stay within 41-42".

Looking for a bass? Why not come and see what I have as well?

This bass is still blockless? Unless getting it for a song, you will spend multi-thousands making it into an acceptable bass.

Call me if it's business related.