PDA

View Full Version : 'Calling' the venerable ARNOLD SCHNITZER...?

Adrian Levi
08-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi Arnold , I'm hoping that you'll come across this thread !! I was reading this article on Eddie Gomez where he mentions a bass that you put together for him that incorporated parts of several instruments.
I was wondering if you could tell us a bit about the instrument ....?
Of course it would be understandable if you feel that it's inappropriate to broach the subject on the net .....

I've included the link -
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=36408&pg=2

Adrian Levi
08-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Well , apparently Arnold is away for a week or so . Ill bump this thread up again next week ....

Ken McKay
08-04-2010, 07:04 PM
He is on a sailing adventure, according to facebook.

Adrian Levi
08-14-2010, 02:31 PM
just bumping this thread up !!

Ken Smith
08-14-2010, 06:48 PM
just bumping this thread up !!

He's back but busy working on 4 of my Basses. :p

Try back in 2011 when he's finished with my projects.. :D

Arnold Schnitzer
08-14-2010, 07:20 PM
YO, ADRIAN!!!!!!! (sorry, could not resist)

The bass Eddie mentioned began its current life as two broken Kays and a Czech neck, if I recall correctly. It was fitted with hatpeg tuners and re-varnished a dark eggplant-like color. I used it personally for a few years, then Eddie discovered it at my old shop about 16-17 years ago. He loved the dark tone and fast response. I have congenitally weak wrists, so I had set it up silky low with little tension. It fit Eddie's sound and playing style well, so we made a deal.

I'd just like to point out that although Mr. Gomez is known as a jazz great, his arco playing of the solo literature is absolutely stunning.

Ken Smith
08-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I'd just like to point out that although Mr. Gomez is known as a jazz great, his arco playing of the solo literature is absolutely stunning.

If I recall correctly, Eddie told me he studied with Fred Zimmerman. I have seen him display his arco talents way back in the early 1970's at 'The Blue Note' in uptown NY with Bill Evans. Improv' with the bow is harder than playing orchestra rep in my mind. His execution is bassically flawless.

Adrian Levi
08-15-2010, 03:34 AM
YO, ADRIAN!!!!!!! (sorry, could not resist)

The bass Eddie mentioned began its current life as two broken Kays and a Czech neck, if I recall correctly. It was fitted with hatpeg tuners and re-varnished a dark eggplant-like color. I used it personally for a few years, then Eddie discovered it at my old shop about 16-17 years ago. He loved the dark tone and fast response. I have congenitally weak wrists, so I had set it up silky low with little tension. It fit Eddie's sound and playing style well, so we made a deal.

Now that's all interesting stuff! I must say that its rather intriguing that given the options that Mr Gomez must have had, he basically chose a ply bass :), although I must say that I have heard some pretty impressive ones before ! Also I wasn't really aware of his arco capabilities ... Thanks for all the info.

Arnold Schnitzer
08-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Eddie really liked the simplicity of the tone, which makes the bass easy to amplify and record. He also liked the playability and the fact that he does not have to worry about getting a precious antique destroyed out in the real (bass-destructive) world.

Adrian Levi
08-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Eddie really liked the simplicity of the tone, which makes the bass easy to amplify and record. He also liked the playability and the fact that he does not have to worry about getting a precious antique destroyed out in the real (bass-destructive) world.

That makes sense ! What was your particular take on the instrument seeing that you used the bass yourself , was it markedly better sounding than your average Kay in your opinion...?

Arnold Schnitzer
08-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Yes, it's faster and has a more sustaining quality, yet retains the characteristic Kay darkness.

kurt ratering
08-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Yes, it's faster and has a more sustaining quality, yet retains the characteristic Kay darkness.

how much would you attribute the quickness and sustain to a solid neck set an appropriate overstand?

Matthew Tucker
08-20-2010, 09:00 AM
I reckon about 100% Kurt :D

kurt ratering
08-20-2010, 09:30 AM
thats what i thought! i have reset a few kay necks and have always been happy with the tonal improvements.