PDA

View Full Version : Bow Shopping

Bill Sallee
09-02-2010, 09:43 AM
My jazz bass teacher wants to get me started bowing so I am now shopping for a German bow. I have an old fiberglass one that came with my old Kay but it doesn't work. I went to a local store and played all nine German bows they had. The brazilwood ones(2), I did not like. The three most expensive were stamped:
seifert* $650
seifert** $850 (tag price 980)
seifert** $860 (tagged $1060)
I liked the $850 one far above the others and it would surely be plenty for a non orchestra player. My wife sort of choked when I told her how much it was but she let me buy the 10k bass so she pretty much realizes I need a decent bow. I just have no comparison.

I have an offer to have some bows shipped for trial but I don't know enough about what weight or any of the other questions they are asking and haven't played enough to know. Is it worth the expense to have bows shipped if I am looking for something under $900? Are the prices above reasonable for these bows? I could live with the one star if I have to. How does Ken's bow he is advertising here for under $500 compare with these?

Arnold Schnitzer
09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Bill, you're going to need a new fingerboard first. You don't have nearly enough arch in the fingerboard and bridge for bowing clearance.

Bill Sallee
09-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Bill, you're going to need a new fingerboard first. You don't have nearly enough arch in the fingerboard and bridge for bowing clearance.

You are probably right, I am having a new bridge made now. Guess I'll have
to do that again when I change the fingerboard. John is able to get around on my bass pretty good with a bow even though there is not much access. I think
there will be just a tiny bit more with the new bridge.

How much does a board replacement typically cost?